New Manager Speculation

maqroll

24 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Thank you! Yes, I am a self confessed bigot against my own people (British/Irish) when it comes to football management. We are just out of date in that area of football. It is no accident top teams in Europe and the world do not hire British/Irish managers. They are just not good enough right now. Ferguson was probably the last top British manager. I hope we (UK/IRE) invest and come into the modern world of football management, when we do I will be delighted to have one but we have a long way to go. Anyway thanks for the answer!

p.s.

Thinking about it, In a PINCH I think Rodgers might be able to make the step up as he himself has said he is heavily influenced by Spanish football. So he could get us playing some decent stuff, maybe.

This really really wound me up on talksport the other morning when Hoddle was on and he said, "wouldnt it be great if Villa could get an English/British manager, because they dont get enough of a chance."

As if we're some sort of experiment or charity.

Its not like you see Man City, Chelsea etc clambering to get English managers, and i wonder why.

I wouldnt have been quite so annoyed but 2 out the last 3 of our managers were bloody english.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I think Rodgers might be able to make the step up as he himself has said he is heavily influenced by Spanish football. So he could get us playing some decent stuff, maybe.

I'm sure we heard the same with Lambert & Germany...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Different ceilings mate....

Whatever way you look at it . Henry no management experience ever = huge gamble. I'd just like villa to make sensible football choices for once. Do their due diligence on candidates and appoint them for 100% football reasons. I've found the coverage of the Henry story a little exhausting these last few days. It's everywhere. If the push for him is coming from sawiris, which if reports are to be believed it is, and if his motives are financial ( increase club image, sponsorship, shirt sales ) which is plausible to think with a name like Henry - I'd be worried, especially if the CEO wants to go in another direction. If due diligence is carried out on Henry and he is appointed for purely footballing reasons of course I'd back him.

3 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've just come back to my desktop to see the 'Martinez' argument raging!

The Daily Record are now saying that we want Eddie Howe ..... Are we going to argue about him for the rest of the evening?

It's obvious that the media are having a real laugh at us by chucking in their regular pieces of totally unsubstantiated click bait! 

We're being wound up by a tawdry conscienceless media who know less, and care less than we do, and yet we rise like fish to the bait every time!

There still isn't one quotable positive word about our search for a manager, so how about a little patience with each other until things become clearer?

Sky Sports need a clip round the ear for trying to influence the betting market yet again. I know they only own 20% of Sky Bet, but it still profits them every time they  throw another totally unsubstantiated name into the ring!!

We need to use our own common sense and wait until we have a few facts.

I'm still hoping for Smith or Wilder for what it's worth, with Rodgers and then the Henry/Terry "dream team" close behind! Based on absolutely nothing, and personal preference of course.?

Fwiw a few folks who have contacts at the club (like The Villa View blokes) have said Henry is in discussions. Also John Percy has been pretty accurate the past few weeks and he has said the same. So I think the Henry rumours have some element of truth to them. The others yeah, I am with you it just sees to be the usual made up stuff.

4 minutes ago, greenz said:

I'm sure we heard the same with Lambert & Germany...

Yeah good point. I withdraw my comment. That gave me flashbacks to the Lambert era, bloody hell that was terrible. Lambert got Benteke to stay an extra season but thats about the complete list of his positive achievements. 

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Whatever way you look at it . Henry no management experience ever = huge gamble. I'd just like villa to make sensible football choices for once. Do their due diligence on candidates and appoint them for 100% football reasons. I've found the coverage of the Henry story a little exhausting these last few days. It's everywhere. If the push for him is coming from sawiris, which if reports are to be believed it is, and if his motives are financial ( increase club image, sponsorship, shirt sales ) which is plausible to think with a name like Henry - I'd be worried, especially if the CEO wants to go in another direction. If due diligence is carried out on Henry and he is appointed for purely footballing reasons of course I'd back him.

The way some are going on you would think he just retired from Football last week and decided he just want to have a "crack" at this management thing.

He has been an Assistant Manager at Belgium for 2 years!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you are right, its all just betting material.

bet you can't guess, who i want?

Part of me is hoping for your sake that you get what you want .... To see one of our most calm and considered posters bursting with excitement would be worth the risk of the ride! If Henry and Terry are announced then the first person I shall think of is you TRO! Cheers.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, turvontour said:

"wouldnt it be great if Villa could get an English/British manager, because they dont get enough of a chance." 

Wahaaahaaaahhaaa!

Ahahaahaah!

Nurse!  Nurse!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The way some are going on you would think he just retired from Football last week and decided he just want to have a "crack" at this management thing.

He has been an Assistant Manager at Belgium for 2 years!

Been an assistant to an international side with arguably the most talented individual players in the world.  Tough gig that.

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Different ceilings mate....

Yes Thierry is more Sistine Chapel and Brucie more our hallway. Which actually needs doing since you’re twiddling your thumbs now Brucie. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Thank you! Yes, I am a self confessed bigot against my own people (British/Irish) when it comes to football management. We are just out of date in that area of football. It is no accident top teams in Europe and the world do not hire British/Irish managers. They are just not good enough right now. Ferguson was probably the last top British manager. I hope we (UK/IRE) invest and come into the modern world of football management, when we do I will be delighted to have one but we have a long way to go. Anyway thanks for the answer!

p.s.

Thinking about it, In a PINCH I think Rodgers might be able to make the step up as he himself has said he is heavily influenced by Spanish football. So he could get us playing some decent stuff, maybe.

Didn't we get to the semi final of the world cup with an English manager.

like you, i am English/ Irish.....so hardly a philistine.

The latins do seem to move the ball and themselves much better than us....hence the attraction.

However, the top teams do seem to favour a fusion, between anglo's/latins.

I think its less to do with nationality and more to do with individual ability.

• Like 1

I like the idea of terry coming in as number 2 , be it to Henry or faria I think it could be a good move and he will know faria well from their Chelsea time . 

Rodgers would also be a decent move but I can’t see that happening , I’d take Henry or faria with JT assisting .

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Been an assistant to an international side with arguably the most talented individual players in the world.  Tough gig that.

Well, if you can impose yourself on those players, you stand a good chance of impressing Arthur Lumplard of Division 3 potential.

13 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

if thats his reasons for wanting henry then i would hope that he's smart enough to put a great structure and team around him to plug any gaps, the terry link if it has legs for example, followed by someone with a wealth of experience above him and then 2/3 other decent coaches, cover the bases

and whilst i agree that there will be a certain marketability angle to this i dont think Henry will be as green as you do

i think it is a sensible footballing decision, apart from the defence this squad need money thrown out it, it just needs a buzz around it and i think what we have going forward will see us turn it around

15 minutes ago, turvontour said:

This really really wound me up on talksport the other morning when Hoddle was on and he said, "wouldnt it be great if Villa could get an English/British manager, because they dont get enough of a chance."

As if we're some sort of experiment or charity.

Its not like you see Man City, Chelsea etc clambering to get English managers, and i wonder why.

I wouldnt have been quite so annoyed but 2 out the last 3 of our managers were bloody english.

Oh.....there's a queue of advisers from the media, who couldn't give a fiddlers **** about our welfare.

anything that suggests innovation and pioneering, will be met with scorn and ridicule.

They are all happy for us the be bumping along threatening no one, being out fought by teams like Millwall or Preston.

Those that arè more intersted in us following tradition and keeping us suppressed to this mundane league.....can go to hell.

good job Wolves broke away and done their own thing....bully for them.

Oops sorry for the pun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1