Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

4 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

In fairness that didn’t get us promoted. As far I’m concerned the players have to also take responsibility for it just as the manager has to.

Unlike the manager I’m not sure that Snodgrass could have contributed more on or off the pitch.

16 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Snodgrass is getting a hero’s welcome here at Walsall tonight. Probably top of Bruce’s list. 

We need move on from snodgrass, we need some pace in the team not someone that keeps cutting back onto his left foot to cross,

Edited by rbcuk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

We need more on from snodgrass, we need some pace in the team not someone that keeps cutting back onto his left foot to cross,

Maybe we could do with both, instead of just relying on one. I'd get Snodgrass but also use a pacy winger like Green. Always good to mix it up and keep opponents guessing.

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

We can now look forward to the re-signing of Snodders, Terry and a few others that Steve Bruce can still beat in the annual egg ‘n spoon race! Hope I am wrong because we desperately need pace in our team!

On sensible deals, I'd have no problem with them back at all. 

I'd still like a bit more pace and guile in central midfield too, mind. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Junxs said:

We need some pace in the team. 

Dont want Terry back becuase we can get 3 players for the wage he would demand.

In fact I dont want anyone over 30, we already have too many old players we cant shift. Plus they tend to have bigger wage demands.

Also dont want any loans under the age of 23 - it was so frustrating to hear Bruce defending Onomah by saying hes just a kid learning the game. We got our own kids learning the game that could do with some game time, loans are supposed to strengthen the team in positions we are weak, not brought in to develop other teams players and expecting our fans to be patient with them.

One more demand - please bring in players with pace, our team is too slow and it cost us last year.

I have run out of "likes" today so I just wanna say, i think you have it right.

• Thanks 1

Just now, nnock1984 said:

Steer

Tanzube Elphick Chester 

Elmo Bikir Hourihane Adomah 

Grealish Snodgrass

Kodjia 

Dude that's horrible. Chester is better on the right, Elphick is rubbish, Adomah is no left wing back, and I'm not a fan of BB either. 

If we set up like that we are in for a tough season. 

Its interesting looking at the squad on the official site, even after all the departures we have 28 players (26 if you takeaway Ross Richards)

The rule in the premier league which doesnt apply to the championship is maximum of 25 with unlimited U23s. 

a) it shows how unnecessarily massive the squad was last year

b) we dont actually need that much work..

It looks like Bruce is going to be using 5 at the back with the wing back system, but only one striker. We actually have an abundance of midfielders and attackers. If the players already at the club are utilised then really we only need one centre back. But I think Bruce has been experimenting with the right backs to see if he can convert one, maybe already sees Jedinaks role there as well now.

If we cant buy players due to FFP then we actually have a decent squad already. Even before taking a host of youngsters into consideration that are ready to step up if required. Obviously every club loves seeing fresh blood brought in, but we are not in an awful position as things stand - all depends on what happens with Jack n James

• Like 2

I dont know. We have numbers but not a lot of quality. And we're really light in some key areas. We're also a load of bollocks tactically. Its not close to a promotion team atm.

• Like 3

Don't get me wrong, I would take both Terry and Snodgrass back, but I think we have greater needs in other areas especially if we're switching to 3 at the back.

And I do think 3 at the back can work for us, albeit with some smart additions.  Forget the performance against West Ham tonight - it was always going to be an ill prepared mess with Brucey caught up in Henry-gate and meeting the owners.  This for me is the way to do it...

Start by dropping Jedi into that middle centre back slot and putting Chester on the right side of him and another ball playing CB on the left.  Could that be Tuanzebe?  Can he play on the left hand side of a back 3?

The middle 4 is then vital and I think you need energy right across that line as well as pace on each flank.  De Laet for me has been a revelation pre-season and could make that RWB place his own.  Hourihane has the engine and would probably be the more attacking of the middle two.  After that I think this is where we need to concentrate our recruitment efforts.  I was tempted to put Birkir in next to Hourihane (and he wouldn't do a bad job there at times) but if we can, i'd try and get some real quality in that position, someone who can dictate play from deep rather than us relying on Jack to come and do that.  On the left I think we again need someone new.  Taylor should have been a no-brainer for that position, but god knows what's happened to him since he joined.  Get a proper wing back with rapid pace, someone who can run the line, draw defenders out wide to him and therefore create space for Jack.

Attacking mids.  For me it needs to be a mixture of pace and guile.  Jack on the inside left position is obvious (providing he stays ?), then Green on the inside right, almost playing a support striker role behind Kodjia (think Sterling for England at the WC).

Up top Kodjia would be first choice, but Davis could easily get plenty of games there over the course of the season.

------------------------------- Kodjia -----------------------------

----------- Grealish ---------------------- Green ------------

NEW LWB -- Hourihane --- NEW MID -- De Laet

----------- Tuanzebe -- Jedinak -- Chester -----------

----------------------------- NEW GK ----------------------------

In reserve i think we have enough cover to ensure we don't get stuck in the case of injuries or when we need to rotate:

------------------------------- Davis -------------------------

----------- Adomah --------------- O'Hare / RHM -------

Taylor --- Thor ---- Lansbury / JDH --- Bree / Elmo

------------- Hutton -- Elphick -- Suliman -----------

----------------------------- Steer ----------------------------

Thoughts?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

So you want the same players back who failed to get us up last season?? That baffles me. 

There's so much wanting to hold on to the past or recapture glorious memories I wonder how many pissed-up nuisance 4am texters to ex-girlfriends are posting. :suspect:?

Snoddy and Terry? Yes, they turned in some great service last year and I'll be grateful to them for that. But. Snoddy is too slow to play wing yet we'll miss his delivery and need to replace that with someone. Whether that be an incoming or existing player, we'll see.

Terry was terrific most of the season but the drop off in the final was alarming. To say the tank was running low was a bit of an understatement, the pump was drawing the rust from the bottom. He might not be retiring but we shouldn't be taking him as next year I think he will be what many feared he would be last year.

And Benteke. Jeez, move on, guys, he sure as hell did. As soon as he could. He's just not that into you, he was looking to foxtrot oscar after one season. He has no affection for the club or fans, he was the anti-Carew.

However, for all that we were only ever a stepping stone, we still had the best out of Benteke in his first year and his second best over the next two, which is ironic. He's gone from an, approximately, 1:2 striker for us to a 1:4 for Plop to a 1:3.5 for Palace. We got a lot of money for him but to take him back we'd have to shell out a lot, one way or another. Nah, bugger him, he got his big money move away and I don't want him bringing back his crappy ratio,  inflated wage demands and mercenary mentality, thanks.

There's very few players I've ever wanted to come back. But then again, I don't believe in staying friends with ex-girlfriends either. ?

6 hours ago, Jareth said:

Snodgrass and Terry back on loan surely now a possibility? We need them.

Only issue there is Terry won't have had much (any) of a pre season. 

He normally keeps himself in good nick, unlike bloater Dunne, Richards and some of the other pisstakers who have rinsed the club over the years. 

I'd like to think he was hedging his bets and waiting for us to sort ourselves out before deciding his next move. But word was a week or two ago that he'd decided to retire and become one of the talking heads on Sky Sports. Retirement's a big call.  If he's been mulling that one over all summer it might be hard to go back on it now. 

Â