Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

I would take Terry back because he adds a lot of confidence to the defence and his reading of the game compensates for his pace. As I've already said, I would have matched Derby's bid for Douglas if we could find £3m down a couch as he is a wizard with a dead ball and West Ham may well price Snodgrass beyond any budget we have. Otherwise we should look to bring in some loan players such as Fraser Forster with an option to buy where possible (we do also need to bring our own young players through but shouldn't rely on them week in and week out and by doing so risk burning them out). The transfer window clock is ticking...

12 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

In fairness that didn’t get us promoted. As far I’m concerned the players have to also take responsibility for it just as the manager has to.

Yeah, so let's get rid of the few that did contribute. Wonder how well we'll do this year without those goals and assists from Snoddy? 

Albert looks like a shadow of last season. Kodjia can't buy a goal.

With Bruce, we will rely on individuals doing their magic again. Only currently we don't have those individuals. I believe Jack will improve his stats from last year, but the task is too big.

I think the new guys have either been advised or deduced that moving Bruce and staff on at this stage could be counter product8ve. Plus his record of promotions allows him another shot, however limited and oafish his teams play.

Therefore I reckon the thing to do is use whatever financial wizardry they're planning to exploit the loan system as Watford, Wolves and the like have done recently and give him until Christmas.

The hour is already late and we can't afford to fanny around. Get the best loan players available, keep Grealish and Chester - at least until January - and have a right go at it.

New GK, De Laet, Chester, New Centre Half, New LB, New CM, Hourihane, Grealish, Green, Adomah, Kodjia

Steer, Hutton, Jedinak, Doyle Hayes, O' Hare, New fast winger, New Striker

Then bring in RHM, Davis, Clarke and whichever kids are looking most likely as and when they look up for it. Keep it fresh.

And FFS no 5, 3, 2. We're tentative enough as it is.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

For me we have to be realistic with the players we can get in. I can't see us getting more than 3, and even then it will be a push.

I don't like the 3-5-2, we just don't have the players for it and if any of those centre backs get injured we then have to change the formation mid-season.

The way I expect us to line up first game of the season is below. Now what we need is options for each position to push for places or as backup   

Kodjia

Green                                 Adomah

Grealish  Hourihane

Bjarnasson

Hutton   Elphick   Chester  RDL

Steer

Kodjia - Hogan, Davis, RHM - there is no need to bring in a new striker

Green - Could Corey-Blackett step up? With Adomah as a backup left winger

Adomah - Snograss on loan if possible, otherwise a right winger looks to be a priority on loan

Grealish - Onomah back on loan if possible as he has a likeness in style of play, however O'Hare could possibly step up in the middle this season

Hourihane - Lansbury with Doyle-Hayes waiting in the wings

Bjarnasson - Jedinak and Whelan - strong in this area

Hutton - Taylor to have one last push for his place back this season

Elphick - We need to bring someone in here, Tuanzebe could possibly be available and push for a first team place

Chester - Suliman

RDL - Bree, Elmo or Hutton - strong in this area

Steer - Bunn or another if we have any funds left

In saying all of this, if there is the potential for a quality player to come in and take someones place in the first team we should go for it. Not someone over 30 with 'experience', someone who won't cost the earth and will expand our style of play.

Of all the U23s from last season he's the one I'm most excited about, has the look of an absolute superstar!

I keep pushing this point though, will Bruce have the cojones to bring him (and others) through? Very much doubt it even though this is a somewhat transitional season and will be perfect to blood them. 

Edited by Hoof hearted
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

Of all the U23s from last season he's the one I'm most excited about, has the look of an absolute superstar!

I keep pushing this point though, will Bruce have the cojones to bring him (and others) through? Very much doubt it even though this is a somewhat transitional season and will be perfect to blood them. 

I can't see it happening either. Any money Bruce gets will be used to sign "experienced" players, which is fine for 1, maximum 2 positions, but we should be giving the youngsters more chances. They are the future of this club, and will hopefully be here long after Bruce.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I can't see it happening either. Any money Bruce gets will be used to sign "experienced" players, which is fine for 1, maximum 2 positions, but we should be giving the youngsters more chances. They are the future of this club, and will hopefully be here long after Bruce.

It doesn't (always) work though, last season proved that, although experienced doesn't always mean good in Bruce's case.

We are still a massive club and even old pros struggle with that pressure, kids are fearless nowadays, get them in ffs, they may surprise a few people. Just can't see it ever happening whilst Steve is in charge. Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Hoof hearted
  • Like 1

Taken all the fun out of the transfer window not knowing who's going to be here in a few weeks or not. Having said that I want to do it anyway :)If money were no object and we were only looking to supplement what we have this would be my thinking

In goal I'm getting less sure about Steer. He looks poor with the ball at his feet. Wouldn't be surprised to see a keeper come in and Sarkic or Steer heading out on loan

OUT - Sarkic (loan)
IN - 1 x GK

I'd look to get Bree out on loan somewhere. RDL has looked good in pre-season and Elmo is good for another year. Hutton and Taylor at LB hardly inspiring but if that's them then so be it. Chester is our only CB :( Elphick just doesn't do it for me. Gaping hole at the back right now. Can Jedinak slot in at CB? Richards is inconsequential in all this I know (hope) but he'll go on the list in name and spirit at least.

OUT - Richards, Elphick, Bree (loan)
IN - 2 or 3 x CB's

Jedinak and Whelan - well the debate rages on but I'd be inclined to keep both and send Lyden off on loan. Ahead of them Hourihane is a shoe in and did well with Grealish in there. BB, Lansbury and Whelan an obvious second string. Time's up for Gardner + Tshibola. O'Hare is injured anyway and Doyle Hayes seems ahead of them both.

OUT - Gardner, Tshibola, Doyle-Hayes (loan), Lyden (loan)

Adomah and Green out wide then. Pretty obvious we need some reinforcements out here imo. One for each side wouldn't go amiss. RHM? Blackett-Taylor? O'Hare when he's fit again?

IN - 1 x LW, 1 x RW

Up top on paper we're kind of set. Dribbler in Kodjia, Big man in Davis and a finisher in Hogan. In reality a big CF wouldn't go amiss. Is RHM permanently injured? might do him well to go on loan and McCormack is obviously near the top of the offload list.

IN - 1 x CF
OUT - McCormack, RHM (loan)

Having said all that I'm expecting Jack to be sold still and wondering if BB and Lansbury will still be here. Think MCCormack will get a loan somewhere. Richards wont go anywhere. Still think Adomah/Hourihane and Chester might have a few enquiries too. RDL might have turned a few heads in pre season, maybe someone will take a punt on him.

Still hoping there's a way out of this where we get to keep our better players and build on what we have but the FFP stuff is where the crux of the matter is. World Cup year and and early transfer window closure. It was always going to get compressed into a short time at the end. Going to be an interesting couple of weeks either way.

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

The hour is already late and we can't afford to fanny around. Get the best loan players available

The loan window is actually open until end of August, not to be confused with the early closing of the transfer window this year.. Gives us a bit more time to sort that side of things. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Who is Barry Douglas?  :)

Seems we have stolen him from leeds.  Either that or Nixon has messed up on Twitter which appears to be the case.

I would really love it if we had. Looked very impressive for Wolves last season. Left back who hits pinpoint corners and hits good free kicks. Made his debut for Scotland last season. 28 years old scored 5 goals and credited with 14 assists last season.

• Like 3

Barry Douglas is a footballer, he can play. He may not be a massive name, but if we got him I would be fooking delighted. He is exactly what we need, we don't retain possession, we don't play the ball out, we get penned in because we have no out ball and we struggle to relieve pressure and get ourselves back on the ball.

I want 2 FBs who are comfortable receiving the ball and finding a pass, instead of nothing ball after nothing ball "into the channel"

*"into the channel* being kind. Half the time they are into the Trinity and Doug Ellis

• Like 2

I think with us losing Terry it's obvious we need a centre back and more experienced goalkeeper. I don't believe Chester is a great communicator and the defence will miss that this season, also Elphick and Chester isn't the most commanding centre back pairing, they seem quite passive.

I wonder if we could get John Ruddy on loan from Wolves, or if Hart is still at city on deadline day then I would think he'd be the type of player that Bruce could get back confident...but we'd need that to happen very quickly indeed. Also Diego Cavalieri, Oscar Ustari, and Boaz Myhill are available on free transfers, and would probably be an improvement on Steer and Bunn.

For centre Back could we get a deal for Huth, he is a very typical Bruce signing, and might be ok alongside Chester with Elphick in reserve.

Everything depends on how much money there is available, and how much we're allowed to spend, but for me these are the positions where strengthening is most urgently required.

If money isn't such a problem, Max Meyer is available on a free, and must be worth a punt. I doubt he'd drop to the championship, but we can dream.

Â