Sexism

Brumerican

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Russell Brand actually does a much better job of interviewing him though I won't post the link from Youtube knowing how Marmite Brand is :P

He rambled on like the babbling brook of bullshit he is. Whilst I don't agree with everything, Peterson often makes some great points on this subject.

• 1 year later...

Don't know if this is relevant. I got accused of mans-plaining (spelling?) by a woman on facebook a while back.

She was talking about racism and white people, she happens to be indigenous, and I simply highlighted that not all white folk are genocidal or even racist.

She said as a white male you are this, and that. Whatever. It became apparent that although I was the one mans-plaining, I was also being condescendingly told what's what.

I just told her I was comfortable with the way I treat others and that the ultimate sin is to be ashamed of your skin.

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I just told her I was comfortable with the way I treat others and that the ultimate sin is to be ashamed of your skin.

"Sin" is a religiously inspired guilt mechanism. Why would anyone bring their personal religious views to an unrelated conversation?

If it has the attributes of privilege, then it's probably privilege.

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Don't know if this is relevant. I got accused of mans-plaining (spelling?) by a woman on facebook a while back.

She was talking about racism and white people, she happens to be indigenous, and I simply highlighted that not all white folk are genocidal or even racist.

She said as a white male you are this, and that. Whatever. It became apparent that although I was the one mans-plaining, I was also being condescendingly told what's what.

serves you right for having a political type conversation on Facebook .. cats , kids and pictures of dinner only on that platform :)

she also sounds like a man hating  bigot so if you want to continue the conversation , that should be your opening gambit

• Like 2

7 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Your initial mistake was getting involved in a conversation with this poisonous individual in the first place. You did well with your replies though. 

Never get involved in dialogue with people like this is my advice :) 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Question. Is this sexism or Taylor Swift not liking a joke about her love life? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56247655

Taylor Swift criticises Netflix show for 'deeply sexist joke'

Taylor Swift has accused a Netflix show of "degrading" women for featuring a joke she branded "deeply sexist".

The pop star tweeted to criticise the joke, which was in the season finale of comedy-drama Ginny and Georgia.

In one scene, main characters Ginny Miller and her mother Georgia argued about relationships.

Asked whether she had broken up with her boyfriend, Ginny said: "What do you care? You go through men faster than Taylor Swift."

The line incurred the wrath of Swift's fans, prompting criticism of the show and its cast members on social media. Some Swift fans even called for a boycott of the series.

On Monday, Swift herself addressed the controversy in a tweet, writing: "Hey Ginny & Georgia, 2010 called and it wants its lazy, deeply sexist joke back."

It is. Its based in a myth that Taylor Swift goes through a lot of men. That all men in her company are her current squeeze and these myths are judged on. She gets this shit a lot. People have trotted it out on VT for gods sake. It would not happen if she was a man. It wouldn’t. Good on her. 

• Like 3

I think the problem here is the double standard rather than the joke itself. It's inarguable that she's been linked to a lot of men (although that doesn't necessarily mean she's been shagging all of them). The answer to that is "so what". She's committed no crime and should feel no shame but her aggressive response suggests that the joke has caught a nerve. There's plenty of men (ironically most of the older men linked to her) who chose not to settle down with a single partner but they aren't subjected to the same level of scrutiny - that's where the sexism lies.

The joke is about the fact she writes and sings so many songs about break ups. 

So she herself is putting it out there that she goes through so many break-ups. 

Not sexist, because she's put the info out there.

Bit like Russell Brand is always labelled a womaniser or whatever, it's because he puts it out there.

If Taylor didn't sing songs about breaking up, and they still wrote that joke, then yea, it's sexist because they're making assumptions about her. 

You can't go around making a name for yourself for doing something, and not having that something used in a comedic way - that's parody/satire to me. 

As ever, happy to be corrected. 

• Like 2

Â