Sexism

Brumerican

I was thinking about both sexism and wider gender-related issues - pay inequality, transgender, etc. I was surprised at how impressed I was by the recent BBC documentary "No More Girls And Boys", dealing with the way we condition children. Sadly it's no longer available online, or I'd urge you to watch it. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I was thinking about both sexism and wider gender-related issues - pay inequality, transgender, etc. I was surprised at how impressed I was by the recent BBC documentary "No More Girls And Boys", dealing with the way we condition children. Sadly it's no longer available online, or I'd urge you to watch it. 

I'd definitely watch it. I'm afraid me and my wife have had some pretty heated discussions  over this kind of thing, and we are at opposite ends of the spectrum. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Robert Webb's memoir How Not To Be A Boy was good for this, examining the whole prism of gender conditioning, and how ingrained and indoctrinated I guess expectations of gender roles are ( or perhaps were,  given the pace of change now) from early on, and the bizarre arbitrariness of trying to fit all people into two simple pigeon-holes, which obviously has impacted the way people grow up and the discourse around it all. It was a very funny book, but he made plenty of very decent - if also commonsense - observations on that.

Edited by Rodders

image.png.9a1ebc76557e095e94b74e0449756db4.png

Not posted in a long time, but seems worth leaving this here. The situation in the UK is clearly very different from much of the rest of the world but statistics like this are a reminder of why this is such a huge issue. I've lost count of the number of girls who have died in Nepal in the last 12 months as a direct result of chaupaid (being forced to sleep in a barn or cowshed during menstruation).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

image.png.9a1ebc76557e095e94b74e0449756db4.png

Not posted in a long time, but seems worth leaving this here. The situation in the UK is clearly very different from much of the rest of the world but statistics like this are a reminder of why this is such a huge issue. I've lost count of the number of girls who have died in Nepal in the last 12 months as a direct result of chaupaid (being forced to sleep in a barn or cowshed during menstruation).

Had to google to find out what you was on about, Unbelievable :(

I have a story that fits in here.

A colleague at work (who I have no reason to think would be making this up as he's not that sort of guy, but will admit I don't have any hard evidence for this) told me that his friend works at a company down in Bristol.

They have a man there who is undergoing a transition into a female. He's had the operation and is basically now a female.

Fine.

But, the company have had to build her her own bathroom. She understandably wants to use the female bathroom, but apparently the females have said they are uncomfortable with her using them, so they've had to make her her own to use.

I'll try and find out some more details to verify if it's true. But I was gobsmacked.

What I found weird was the few people involved in this conversation couldn't really understand why I found that so shocking!

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But, the company have had to build her her own bathroom. She understandably wants to use the female bathroom, but apparently the females have said they are uncomfortable with her using them, so they've had to make her her own to use.

In my 23 year working life, I've never been at an employer or customer site that had separated male/female bathrooms. Is this a Scandinavian vs British thing?

Only places I see them separated is if there is a urinal involved, like in airports, stadiums and the like.

1 minute ago, Tegis said:

In my 23 year working life, I've never been at an employer or customer site that had separated male/female bathrooms. Is this a Scandinavian vs British thing?

Only places I see them separated is if there is a urinal involved, like in airports, stadiums and the like.

I'd say in 99.9% of places in the UK the bathrooms are separated by gender.

I can only think of two places (both bars) that I've ever been to in this country that had unisex bathrooms.

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

She understandably wants to use the female bathroom, but apparently the females have said they are uncomfortable with her using them, so they've had to make her her own to use.

If it was a gym changing room I could potentially understand why the women might feel uncomfortable  about undressing in front of her , or any colleague for that matter 

but it’s a toilet with cubicles presumably ? , like thousands of other toilets with cubicle that they might use , What is it that is making them uncomfortable ? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

If it was a gym changing room I could potentially understand why the women might feel uncomfortable  about undressing in front of her , or any colleague for that matter 

but it’s a toilet with cubicles presumably ? , like thousands of other toilets with cubicle that they might use , What is it that is making them uncomfortable ? 

Exactly what I said.

If this person is living as a woman, they think of themselves as a woman. What are they expecting her to do? Be going in bursting into cubicles to look at fannies?

I'm going to find out if it's true because I feel a bit bad putting it in here as it sounds like one of those made up stories that people put around. But I have no reason to think it is one given who it came from.

If I worked at that company I'd be going mental.

I have to say there is a lot of sexism in the trust i work with but not the kind you think.

There actually is a lot of bullying of senior female bosses to low level management bosses who are men. Its not just one way men are bullied too.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What are they expecting her to do? Be going in bursting into cubicles to look at fannies?

There's this big thing in the States at the moment about this. People who are trans shouldn't be able to use the bathroom they want, because 'think of the kids' or something.

It's absurd - the notion and implication that all trans people are secretly closet paedophiles who only transition to be able to perv on kids in bathrooms.

Snowflakes, the lot of them.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

There's this big thing in the States at the moment about this. People who are trans shouldn't be able to use the bathroom they want, because 'think of the kids' or something.

It's absurd - the notion and implication that all trans people are secretly closet paedophiles who only transition to be able to perv on kids in bathrooms.

Snowflakes, the lot of them.

But then when they get the chance to vote for someone (Alabama - Roy Moore) who even Republican Senators agreed was probably a rapist and a pedophile 650,000 people made the trip to the polls to vote for him.  There are some mixed up moral codes out there. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Straggler said:

But then when they get the chance to vote for someone (Alabama - Roy Moore) who even Republican Senators agreed was probably a rapist and a pedophile 650,000 people made the trip to the polls to vote for him.  There are some mixed up moral codes out there. 

Yep. Hardcore conservatives expect women to have their place, are anti homosexuality and think trans people are paedophiles who want to spy on kids in bathrooms, yet hate ISIS with a passion.

Same shit, different name.

Was in a bar with a uni toilet quite recently.

It was quite funny, it had separate Women's and Men's doors in the bar that lead down to doors facing each other at opposite ends of the same room. 

Well confusing for first timers. Feck - I'm in the wrong bog moment, as you emerge to face a girl.

Two of my best ever bosses have been women, both on massive high profile productions. Formidable characters that take no shit.

• Like 1

Â