Sexism

Brumerican

Ah.. the gender pay gap.

Question: If you could get employees that do the same job for cheaper you would, right? So if women are always cheaper, then wouldn't there be more of them in work than men?

Don't get me wrong - I'm certain there is disparity in certain industries/situations. But the notion that "females are always underpaid compared to men" is false.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Today's news about Tesco's 'discriminatory' pay pisses me right off.

It boils down to warehouse workers, who do hard, physical work, being paid more than the shop staff. 

Shop staff get paid X, including the men who work there, warehouse staff get paid Y, including the women who work there. Most women work in the shop rather than doing dirty work with loads of heavy lifting in the warehouse, and now suddenly this is a gender pay gap issue.

It's an utter load of bollocks.

On the 'gender pay gap issue' it seems to be the nonsense statistic topic of the moment. It amazes me how many people can be subjective in the statistics they decide to throw their weight behind. The same people who, on a night out, will be complaining how you cant trust statistics will then start quoting statistics to back up their argument, obviously as and when it suits it.

People will generally switch off listening if you try explain how/why it shouldn't be taken too seriously and the second you try to mention multi-varied analysis they're gone.

29 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Ah.. the gender pay gap.

Question: If you could get employees that do the same job for cheaper you would, right? So if women are always cheaper, then wouldn't there be more of them in work than men?

Don't get me wrong - I'm certain there is disparity in certain industries/situations. But the notion that "females are always underpaid compared to men" is false.

It’s a funny one, especially in Hollywood.

Producer calls Angelina Jolie, I’ve got a film for you and I’m paying $10m are you in? 

Jolie: yeah sure

Producer calls Tom Cruise, I’ve got a film for you, Angelina Jolie is in, I’m paying $10m are you in? 

Cruise: No thank you, I’ll do it for $15m or not at all.

Producer: Ok, $15m agreed.

Is he now expected to go back to Jolie and give her $5m more because that is what the male lead demanded?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Today's news about Tesco's 'discriminatory' pay pisses me right off.

It boils down to warehouse workers, who do hard, physical work, being paid more than the shop staff. 

Shop staff get paid X, including the men who work there, warehouse staff get paid Y, including the women who work there. Most women work in the shop rather than doing dirty work with loads of heavy lifting in the warehouse, and now suddenly this is a gender pay gap issue.

It's an utter load of bollocks.

The union and legal team pushing this case have been very clear that this isn't gender related, it's work equivalence and men in similar post will benefit equally. This would not be a female only pay adjustment. It's not a gender specific.

Nobody should be doing any heavy lifting. I'd be fairly concerned if the buff boys at the depot are hand lifting slabs of tins of beans.

33 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Ah.. the gender pay gap.

I don't think I've seen anyone suggest females are always underpaid. 

I know that in my industry, generally, the female staff are not as good at getting pay rises and bonuses. Whereas, your very average twenty something male worker has a burning grudge that he isn't on £50k already. I sit on the pay panel in the office. I can and do 'suggest' the sort of figure they should be looking at if we bump in to each other in advance of the review. I have never once ever had to suggest to male staff that they could be underselling themselves.

Might be dna, might be coached in to us from the age of zero. I don't know. But to give a massive sweeping stereotype, often the best workers are overseas females. Often, the lowest paid workers are overseas females. Often the poorest workers are the local boys, who've somehow got themselves a 1 series and sulk because it wasn't a 3 series.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I think a lot of people don't understand what she "preaches" then.

I understand she’s free to do what she wants, but it’s hard to take someone serious when she’s getting her tits out for money. 

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I understand she’s free to do what she wants, but it’s hard to take someone serious when she’s getting her tits out for money. 

Why? (Not that I think Emma Watson has got "her tits out for money", but it's beside the point)

Edited by Stevo985

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I don't think I've seen anyone suggest females are always underpaid. 

I know that in my industry, generally, the female staff are not as good at getting pay rises and bonuses. Whereas, your very average twenty something male worker has a burning grudge that he isn't on £50k already. I sit on the pay panel in the office. I can and do 'suggest' the sort of figure they should be looking at if we bump in to each other in advance of the review. I have never once ever had to suggest to male staff that they could be underselling themselves.

Might be dna, might be coached in to us from the age of zero. I don't know. But to give a massive sweeping stereotype, often the best workers are overseas females. Often, the lowest paid workers are overseas females. Often the poorest workers are the local boys, who've somehow got themselves a 1 series and sulk because it wasn't a 3 series.

It's more a pop at the media and "the gender pay gap" phrase. It doesn't exist as a rule, even though some industries do tend to be heavily laden with males....

... like mine. I'm a programmer, and most programmers are male. And the general culture in IT is blokey, and sometimes downright toxic/misogynistic. Now that is sexism.

But pay? In my time at my previous job I hired 4 juniors, 3 of which were female. They were hired for their skills and all got paid the same. I don't think that's exceptional in the industry despite the prevailing blokey culture.

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think you’re trolling now, I think it’s quite obvious.

I don't think it's that obvious either. I don't really understand what connection there is between some tasteful nude photos on the one hand, and advocating equal rights for young women around the world on the other. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think you’re trolling now, I think it’s quite obvious.

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think it's that obvious either. I don't really understand what connection there is between some tasteful nude photos on the one hand, and advocating equal rights for young women around the world on the other. 

What Hanoi said.

She was talking about equal rights for women. I don't see how being paid for a photoshoot makes her a hypocrite. 

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What Hanoi said.

She was talking about equal rights for women. I don't see how being paid for a photoshoot makes her a hypocrite. 

Maybe hypocrite is not the right word, I think when she’s paid for highly sexualised photos it makes her less credible (in my opinion).

Shes done nothing wrong per se. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Maybe hypocrite is not the right word, I think when she’s paid for highly sexualised photos it makes her less credible (in my opinion).

But why?

I'm not trolling, I genuinely don't see the correlation. What does posing for a magazine shoot have to do with equal rights for women?

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But why?

I'm not trolling, I genuinely don't see the correlation. What does posing for a magazine shoot have to do with equal rights for women?

She was critical of Beyoncé for making feminist statements but then presenting herself in a very sexual way for the male audience... then she does the same... 

Its not the equal rights subject, it’s just that in my opinion she loses some of her credibility by doing photos of that nature. I like the photos they’re great, but if you’re to do them you’re going to be judged, she knows that and decided she still wanted to do it. Up to her what she does with her time or how she wants to make money. 

Â