Sexism

Brumerican

34 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yes, it sums up quite a bit about society.

It's November 19th. 

As Holly Ross so eloquently put it, 'people are clearings in the woods'.

It doesn’t take much to egg her on.

(she’s lovely)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

Wow, havent come across that before.

Does anything actually happen?

In Australia it is mostly focused on men’s health. Some people (mostly men) even raise money for prostate cancer research by growing a mustache for the month :P

Edited by LondonLax

56 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

When's there going to be a Fathers' Day, that's what I want to know.

That would be crazy. There would need to be a Mothers' Day too.

(Mothering Sunday being nothing to do with mothers.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

That would be crazy. There would need to be a Mothers' Day too.

(Mothering Sunday being nothing to do with mothers.)

If you're referring to the 'mother church' tradition, then yes that's true originally, but to be fair, it's been at least partly about mothers for the last few hundred years. 

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If you're referring to the 'mother church' tradition, then yes that's true originally, but to be fair, it's been at least partly about mothers for the last few hundred years. 

I'm referring to "Mothering Sunday", which is today. Mother's day happens later in the year and isn't related to today, nor is it widely observed in the UK.

Be nice to your mums regularly, not just when marketers tell you too :mrgreen: 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, limpid said:

I'm referring to "Mothering Sunday", which is today. Mother's day happens later in the year and isn't related to today, nor is it widely observed in the UK.

Be nice to your mums regularly, not just when marketers tell you too :mrgreen: 

You mean the American Mothers' Day? I'd say it isn't observed at all in the UK. Whereas - rightly or wrongly - the 'mother church' origin is mostly forgotten, and Mothering Sunday and 'Mothers' Day' have been synonymous in the UK for many years - my mother regarded them as one and the same, and she was born in 1914. 

Edited by mjmooney

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You mean the American Mothers' Day? I'd say it isn't observed at all in the UK. Whereas - rightly or wrongly - the 'mother church' origin is mostly forgotten, and Mothering Sunday and 'Mothers' Day' have been synonymous in the UK for many years - my mother regarded them as one and the same, and she was born in 1914. 

I know people who observe it in the UK; they tend to be American or have American family, but it is observed.

It's sad that old traditions get taken over for marketing purposes. Particularly when it's done to reinforce stereotypical gender roles.

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

I know people who observe it in the UK; they tend to be American or have American family, but it is observed.

It's sad that old traditions get taken over for marketing purposes. Particularly when it's done to reinforce stereotypical gender roles.

Old traditions connected with religion - I'm surprised at you, Simon!  :lol:

I didn’t get my mom a card this year. 

I just printed out Limpid’s explanation of why we shouldn’t celebrate Mothers Day and handed it to her. 

She seemed disappointed.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, limpid said:

Of course you do.

But no-one else does.  It's one day of the year to show my appreciation for my mom and my wife (on behalf of my kid), and all they do for me and him, then it's definitely worth a few pounds for each of them to buy them a treat dedicated to this day.

I think it's rather silly to presume that people aren't nice to their mom's on a regular basis too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I didn’t get my mom a card this year. 

I just printed out Limpid’s explanation of why we shouldn’t celebrate Mothers Day and handed it to her. 

She seemed disappointed.

I don't believe you.

Â