Sexism

Brumerican

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

She was critical of Beyoncé for making feminist statements but then presenting herself in a very sexual way for the male audience... then she does the same... 

Its not the equal rights subject, it’s just that in my opinion she loses some of her credibility by doing photos of that nature. I like the photos they’re great, but if you’re to do them you’re going to be judged, she knows that and decided she still wanted to do it. Up to her what she does with her time or how she wants to make money. 

The part in bold is the problem, imo, not her posing for a magazine.

And I think the Beyonce stuff was taken out of context.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Today's news about Tesco's 'discriminatory' pay pisses me right off.

It boils down to warehouse workers, who do hard, physical work, being paid more than the shop staff. 

Shop staff get paid X, including the men who work there, warehouse staff get paid Y, including the women who work there. Most women work in the shop rather than doing dirty work with loads of heavy lifting in the warehouse, and now suddenly this is a gender pay gap issue.

It's an utter load of bollocks.

Yep, absolute shite. Women in the warehouse get paid the same as the men, men on the shop floor get paid the same as women. Just because each of the roles is dominated by one gender doesn't mean there is a pay gap or discrimination in any way.

Same as the daft woman at the BBC, I very much doubt that the Carrie Gracie at the BBC was called upon quite so much in her position of China Editior as her male counterparts that are responsible for North America & The middle east. They are different jobs with different pay grades........ 

38 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Same as the daft woman at the BBC, I very much doubt that the Carrie Gracie at the BBC was called upon quite so much in her position of China Editior as her male counterparts that are responsible for North America & The middle east. They are different jobs with different pay grades........

It's the line that the BBC bosses have decided to try and take but that supposed explanation unfortunately fails when one considers that apparently Gracie's salary when hired was more than the North America editor at the time (that's according to Fran Unsworth in her evidence to the Select Committee).

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It's the line that the BBC bosses have decided to try and take but that supposed explanation unfortunately fails when one considers that apparently Gracie's salary when hired was more than the North America editor at the time (that's according to Fran Unsworth in her evidence to the Select Committee).

I guess some of the Jon Sopel salary could have been skewed by his previous roles in the BBC, If he was getting £200,000 for being chief political correspondant & presenting 3 shows i doubt he would agree to a £60,000 cut to take over as north american editior

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

I guess some of the Jon Sopel salary could have been skewed by his previous roles in the BBC, If he was getting £200,000 for being chief political correspondant & presenting 3 shows i doubt he would agree to a £60,000 cut to take over as north american editior

Indeed, there's plenty of complexity to the whole situation. Much more than was suggested by writing Carrie Gracie off as 'the daft woman at the BBC'.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Today's news about Tesco's 'discriminatory' pay pisses me right off.

It boils down to warehouse workers, who do hard, physical work, being paid more than the shop staff. 

Shop staff get paid X, including the men who work there, warehouse staff get paid Y, including the women who work there. Most women work in the shop rather than doing dirty work with loads of heavy lifting in the warehouse, and now suddenly this is a gender pay gap issue.

It's an utter load of bollocks.

Yep. They are different jobs. The shop floor job is easier/warmer/safer, so they get less money. 

If more women wanted to do the harder job then they'd get paid more. 

• Like 1

Men across the board are paid on average more. That's a historic thing that is going to be very difficult to change due to:

1) Women doing more part time / key time rules due to children.This won't change IMO despite a slight increase in stay at home Dads

2) Men are more career and money driven in general across the board in my opinion (obviously that's a generalisation and there are career driven women as well but I feel its a far smaller %)

3) Men work in more dangerous/physical roles which pay more

My office is probably evenly split between male and female but the more high pressurised roles tend to be majority male. The type of roles which stress people out and make people ill and loaded up on medication. Women are clearly the smarter ones in that regard!

5 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

It's more a pop at the media and "the gender pay gap" phrase. It doesn't exist as a rule, even though some industries do tend to be heavily laden with males....

... like mine. I'm a programmer, and most programmers are male. And the general culture in IT is blokey, and sometimes downright toxic/misogynistic. Now that is sexism.

But pay? In my time at my previous job I hired 4 juniors, 3 of which were female. They were hired for their skills and all got paid the same. I don't think that's exceptional in the industry despite the prevailing blokey culture.

The pay gap doesn’t really exist in junior roles so it’s not surprising that you haven’t noticed it in your experience there. 

It’s when you get more senior that the issue more typically comes up and it is for a range of reasons, including child care and attitudes to (or from) women. 

• 2 weeks later...

That Versace dress was fabulous, you think I’m going to cover that gorgeous dress up with a coat and a scarf? I was outside for 5 minutes. I would have stood in the snow for that dress because I love fashion and that was my choice,” Lawrence wrote. “This is sexist, this is ridiculous, this is not feminism… Everything you see me wear is my choice. And if I want to be cold THATS MY CHOICE TOO!”

https://m.facebook.com/JenniferLawrence/posts/10155066698041793

Helen Lewis tries to highlight societal oppression by making huge assumptions and ends up shaming a woman for her choices. Tries to worm out of it after Lawrence’s response while maintaining she still has a point (see thread).

An interesting and bang-your-head-against-the-wall-worthy read.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, a m ole said:
Helen Lewis tries to highlight societal oppression by making huge assumptions and ends up shaming a woman for her choices. Tries to worm out of it after Lawrence’s response while maintaining she still has a point (see thread).

An interesting and bang-your-head-against-the-wall-worthy read.

Funny read. 

Fair play to J-Law for firing back. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Wasnt sure where to put this.

My five year old lad just said to me, "Daddy, it was national girls day today. When is it national boys day?"

Tricky.

Every day of the year apart from today presumably 

29 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Wasnt sure where to put this.

My five year old lad just said to me, "Daddy, it was national girls day today. When is it national boys day?"

Tricky.

Though Richard Herring had this covered today :)

• Like 2

Â