Sexism

Brumerican

1 minute ago, Shomin Geki said:

And how about the other examples offered?

Well, it was quite a chunk or writing.

James Bond doesn’t like the Beatles? Absolutely fine.

James Bond being the 1000th person to claim your real life wife or daughter is a slapper? Not so much.

My point, is the obvious abuse that could be doled out in the name of art, by a fictional character can be used and it can be abused. If you think they have the right to do it, I have the right to criticise it.

Characters can be overtly off from the current norms, of course they can. But I personally don’t think it can be used for cheap shots at real people that then reinforce and normalise poor ideas through repetition until it’s accepted as ‘normal’.

• 8 months later...

In the light of the quite justified ridicule he’s received, he’s kinda doubled down and sent out a statement on parliamentary headed paper saying he’s been ‘misconstrued’ and hadn’t linked Dr Who to crime levels in young men,

Every time you think you’ve found the most tory tory, a new one pops up.

spacer.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

In the light of the quite justified ridicule he’s received, he’s kinda doubled down and sent out a statement on parliamentary headed paper saying he’s been ‘misconstrued’ and hadn’t linked Dr Who to crime levels in young men

An entire nation's politically interested people must have misheard him then. So is he really saying that his public speaking skills aren't really up to scratch?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

In the light of the quite justified ridicule he’s received, he’s kinda doubled down and sent out a statement on parliamentary headed paper saying he’s been ‘misconstrued’ and hadn’t linked Dr Who to crime levels in young men,

Every time you think you’ve found the most tory tory, a new one pops up.

spacer.png

Is there a lot you disagree with in that statement?

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Yes, the whole premise.

The man is a prick, his own Prime Minister obviously ‘should’ be a role model but is an abject failure in that metric.

Marcus Rashford would be the obvious role model for potential criminals.

Cricketers that whistleblow on racism?

Tim Peake maybe a bigger deal than made up alien Dr Who?

He thinks a male version of the Equalizer would be a good role model?

Ghostbusters? Is every tory currently on class A’s?

Utterly pathetic waste of a speaking opportunity.

I think you might have misread what was said. It doesn’t say that there are no positive male role models in the world but he has suggested in that statement that some lads are only seeing negative male role models in their lives. 

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Is there a lot you disagree with in that statement?

It's whole premise is utter nonsense

It exists as an arse covering exercise, it's content is bullshit regardless of what it says

There are plenty of good male role models even in film and television

It comes across like a deluded politician believing that its not the social or economical changes and problems in a young boys environment that's leading him to crime its the lack of a strong male role model on TV

Because that's the easiest problem to identify and the one that doesn't fall on that politicians lap... 

A young boy wants to work the corners because his favourite TV shows are the wire and top boy... Its nothing to do with him growing up in relative poverty, with a poor education and non existent opportunities 

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I think you might have misread what was said. It doesn’t say that there are no positive male role models in the world but he has suggested in that statement that some lads are only seeing negative male role models in their lives. 

He’s trying to re write a spectacularly poor speech.

His government have been in power for a decade if there is any failing, he needs to own it.

He denies he linked the problems of lack of role models, Dr Who, and male crime. Then re states another version of the same incorrect claim.

He doesn’t think Professor Brian Cox is a role model?

Again, Tim Peake? Rashford? Gareth Bale? Michael Sheen? Lewis Hamilton? 

The man is an idiot that doesn’t even know when to stop idioting.

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

His government have been in power for a decade if there is any failing, he needs to own it.

He denies he linked the problems of lack of role models, Dr Who, and male crime. Then re states another version of the same incorrect claim.

I'll throw a different one out - what does he think Idris Elba is? 

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I agree it sounds like his speech was poor, whether it was misunderstood or misjudged. I didn’t see it myself, I’m just going off that statement above. 

Again though, he doesn’t say in that statement that Tim Peak, Gareth Bale, Lewis Hamilton etc don’t exist as positive role models for boys, what it says is many boys role models are ‘increasingly’ criminal, not ‘totally’ criminal. 

19 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I agree it sounds like his speech was poor, whether it was misunderstood or misjudged. I didn’t see it myself, I’m just going off that statement above. 

Again though, he doesn’t say in that statement that Tim Peak, Gareth Bale, Lewis Hamilton etc don’t exist as positive role models for boys, what it says is many boys role models are ‘increasingly’ criminal, not ‘totally’ criminal. 

Which in isolation would be ok. I'd disagree with it, but it at least isn't totally mental.

The mental part is deliberately linking that reduction of positive role models with the increase of female characters in movies and television. Essentially a link between the "woke" and an increase in crime. Which I'm absolutely positive wasn't an accident. 

That part is utter bollocks.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I didn’t see it myself, I’m just going off that statement above. 

There's a video of it, in the tweet I posted. You can't view the statement in isolation, the statement on its own is irrelevant

The speech is just more typical Tory Culture Wars Horseshit

Â