Sexism

Brumerican

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

That surely is the very definition of sexism

Well yeah. But what I meant is it's not the words of the joke that is the sexist part. Like if a talk show host asks a female guest why she isn't married yet. The words aren't sexist because you could ask that question to a man. But they wouldn't, which is the sexist

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

The joke is about the fact she writes and sings so many songs about break ups. 

So she herself is putting it out there that she goes through so many break-ups. 

Not sexist, because she's put the info out there.

Bit like Russell Brand is always labelled a womaniser or whatever, it's because he puts it out there.

If Taylor didn't sing songs about breaking up, and they still wrote that joke, then yea, it's sexist because they're making assumptions about her. 

You can't go around making a name for yourself for doing something, and not having that something used in a comedic way - that's parody/satire to me. 

As ever, happy to be corrected. 

It could be argued that Ariana Grande, Adele and most young female singers have similar themes in their material and the same scrutiny is not applied to them. She sings love songs, the themes are love, unrequited and also the end of an affair. Its what pop songs have been built on from the dawn of time, Taylor is different though, even though she is doing exactly what every other male and female pop performer is doing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

The joke is about the fact she writes and sings so many songs about break ups. 

So she herself is putting it out there that she goes through so many break-ups. 

Not sexist, because she's put the info out there.

Bit like Russell Brand is always labelled a womaniser or whatever, it's because he puts it out there.

If Taylor didn't sing songs about breaking up, and they still wrote that joke, then yea, it's sexist because they're making assumptions about her. 

You can't go around making a name for yourself for doing something, and not having that something used in a comedic way - that's parody/satire to me. 

As ever, happy to be corrected. 

But she is a pop artist and they’re songs, no one knows what her personal life is like.

The more important thing for me is - was it the character making a joke or was it the writers? A character making a dumb joke because it’s part of their character is good writing, if it’s just shoehorned in there they probably got lazy.

Either way I can see why Swift is a bit pissed.

Seems like a mountain being made out of a mole hill again, I mean really, you’d think people have better things to do.........although, perhaps not at the moment. 

And I don’t agree that this wouldn’t be said about a man. In fact, some men revel in the fact that they get through a lot of women.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Seems like a mountain being made out of a mole hill again, I mean really, you’d think people have better things to do.........although, perhaps not at the moment. 

And I don’t agree that this wouldn’t be said about a man. In fact, some men revel in the fact that they get through a lot of women.

That's entirely the point

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's entirely the point

So it’s okay to say it about men because men can brush it off, or in this case, shake it off.

But not women because they take it to heart, is that the gist of it? 

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Haha 1

So it’s okay to say it about men because men can brush it off, or in this case, shake it off.

Some men revel in the fact. Thats on them. Taylor Swift has this thrown at her, regardless of the truth of the matter. 

32 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It could be argued that Ariana Grande, Adele and most young female singers have similar themes in their material and the same scrutiny is not applied to them. She sings love songs, the themes are love, unrequited and also the end of an affair. Its what pop songs have been built on from the dawn of time, Taylor is different though, even though she is doing exactly what every other male and female pop performer is doing. 

Isn't Taylor Swift more famous than them?  

I mean, the writers could have chosen any of them, but has probably chosen Taylor because she's more popular and more people know her, so the joke will hit a cord with more viewers? 

The writers could have picked anyone really, it's a celebrity joke - who gives a shit? 

The joke was probably shit, the show is probably shit, Taylor Swift is pretty shit and this argument is shit. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

No.

Men having multiple partners is celebrated.

Women having multiple partners is criticised.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah agreed. maybe the joke itself isn't sexist, but it's the fact it wouldn't get made if she was a man

Really?  I think it would be more likely to be made about a man.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No.

Men having multiple partners is celebrated.

Women having multiple partners is criticised.

Times are changing man and have been for some time, plenty of women revel in the fact they go through ‘lots of men’ these days. I think it’s actually sexist to assume that all women will get angry about something like this.

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Maybe 20/30 years ago, no one gives a shit anymore.  Lady "playas" are also celebrated just as much as men. 

Evidently they're not though. The Taylor Swift stuff is a prime example. It's constantly used as a negative against her

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Times are changing man and have been for some time, plenty of women revel in the fact they go through ‘lots of men’ these days. I think it’s actually sexist to assume that all women will get angry about something like this.

I didn't say all women get angry about this. 

And the point isn't whether women revel in it or not. The point is it's used as a negative against women but a positive for men. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I didn't say all women get angry about this. 

And the point isn't whether women revel in it or not. The point is it's used as a negative against women but a positive for men. 

Well I think that’s an outdated view personally, maybe relevant 20+ years ago but I think the majority of women would be more offended by folks getting offended on their behalf about something they don’t find offensive.

Well I think that’s an outdated view personally, maybe relevant 20+ years ago but I think the majority of women would be more offended by folks getting offended on their behalf about something they don’t find offensive.

That's very dismissive in my opinion

I don't think Steveo is offended - I just think he's wrong on this occasion.

What did you do today dear. Usual. Stuck up for Taylor Swift on an internet message board.

As it goes and I know people have differing views, thats fine, men talking at other men is unlikely to change a view but my last word on this is as she is the recipient of this shit fairly regularly, then she has the right to be offended or irritated by it. I don’t and am not on her behalf. 

• Like 1

Â