The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

1.28 - his hand signal is for a foul not for an offside, thats what i thought last night, the offside thing which i think is probably correct has been tacked on afterwards which makes it even worse

There isn't a hand signal for offside?  He's pointing one hand straight up which is for (I think) an indirect free kick... which is what's given after an offside decision.

• Like 2

Just now, bobzy said:

Let's assume, though, that they thought they were checking for the 'obvious' offside and Cavani says "**** sake ref, I was blocked off - that's a foul!".  Michael Oliver says to VAR "was there a foul too?" - they check that incident after the 'obvious' ones "no, no foul Michael... but Ramsey is offside and looks to impede Cavani.  Go and have a look, see if you think he deliberately stops him" so Oliver checks the screen and sees Ramsey move across.  Is that really an issue?

Switch "Cavani" for "Watkins" and "Ramsey" for "McTominay".  It's not a problem, for me.

And yes, was given as offside.  Oliver explains it all to Mings and gives an indirect free kick.

Do you think it's gets disallowed 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

1.28 - his hand signal is for a foul not for an offside, thats what i thought last night, the offside thing which i think is probably correct has been tacked on afterwards which makes it even worse

The decisions can go either way and it's being operated that way for a reason, if that's a ManU goal it stands and we all know it, this is the issue. I'd like to think it's incompetence but it's become apparent that it isn't.

• Like 1

I think what I'm trying to say with my incompetent rambling is that by the letter of the law that goal can stand and by the letter of the law it can be disallowed. They keep looking until they find something and if it's at the other end it's not clear and obvious so the goal stands. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

There isn't a hand signal for offside?  He's pointing one hand straight up which is for (I think) an indirect free kick... which is what's given after an offside decision.

You're correct

Soccer Referee Signals Communicate the Rules of the Game

53 minutes ago, bobzy said:

obstruction is an indirect free kick ;)

i thought normally when its offside they do they the semi circle gesture with their hand to signal it?

I think the big point here is that in a competition you have the same rules for all the games taking part. it is stupid to have the odd Premier League grounds using VAR yet all the other games just rely on instant ref / linesman decisions. 

As was shown last night the game can be slowed down for many minutes whilst the powers that be look for a reason to disallow the goal. I'm sure last night they initially looked at the offside and then spent the rest of the time trying to find any reason why it should be chalked off. I cannot imagine that the same scrutiny would have been given if the opponents had been Liverpool, Chelsea or Man City.

I did say when Gerrard went to Villa, now being not one of the "top", "special" sides in the division, then he would have to cope with many decisions going against him.........something he didn't experience in his first job at Rangers where of course he was in charge of one of the two "special" sides up here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Its ruined the game. Saw Theres no way they could say Cavani was going to have impact on the ball coming in and he ran into Ramsey.  

Ramsey deliberately blocked him off. It was all planned in advance. He stood offside and then made sure he was in the right place to block cavani and give our player a free header. It was the correct decision to rule out the goal. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ref going to the video is just an act the decision is already made to be reversed. 

I think I have only ever see the ref once go to the monitor and stick with his decision and that was at the World Cup 

I don't think the VAR should be making decisions themselves. They should only be there to tell the on-field referee to have another look. The on-field ref has a feel for the game and can ensure that the decision they make by looking at the screen is in line with how they've been refereeing the game. 

• Like 1

What you all are forgetting is that we no longer have Fergie time so we have stuff like this to ensure a United win.I dont even know why ManUre bother playing games at all,why dosent the Pl just award them 3 points for every game and be done with it.at least then the rest of the teams will know where we stand.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Ramsey deliberately blocked him off. It was all planned in advance. He stood offside and then made sure he was in the right place to block cavani and give our player a free header. It was the correct decision to rule out the goal. 

Really frustrating as Konsa had a really good run at backpost so imo Cavani wouldn't have got there in time to put him off the header.

Is it time to bring in foreign referees? It’s not just var that’s cack the standard of refereeing in England is consistently terrible. You rarely, if ever feel the ref has any dominance over the players or coaches in matches played in England. 

• Like 1

Some good points especially that it was almost certainly pre planned for players to be coming back from an offside position as the kick is taken so hindering defenders trying to get back ........see it a lot in the modern game.

Interesting to watch the ref at the free kick, as when the United player was "blocked"  and went to ground  he didn't immediately blow and indicate a foul, which if that was going to be his decision I would have expected to see him do that and be immediately blowing his whistle and raising his arm if he felt it was obstruction ( before the ball was put in the net)........OK the positioning of the Villa forwards might need checking on VAR but the falling of the United player was the most obvious  thing to see.  If it was all that obvious, why did it take 4+ minutes to decide anything?

I don't think that whether the United player would have got there or not is important...........if he was fouled or obstructed then that is a fact and a free kick to United . You cannot speculate that he would or would not have got near the ball at any stage.

Edited by newhavenhibby

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

It was obvious, as soon as I saw who was ref on Sunday night I knew we were in for it. There neeeds to be an overhaul or big change in the standards of refs at the top of the English game. Especially when Oliver’s supposed to be the best we have 

Last night wasnt poor referring it was borderline corruption. The approach appeared to be "Can we possibly find any way of disallowing this goal' - completely against the guidelines under which VAR was implemented.   

• Like 2

As a tactic, I’m not too sure of the effectiveness of having one of our players standing in an offside position anyway. Any kind of interaction that affects the game, he’s immediately going to be flagged.So what is the point of putting him there.

1 hour ago, Hamburglar said:

Is it time to bring in foreign referees? It’s not just var that’s cack the standard of refereeing in England is consistently terrible. You rarely, if ever feel the ref has any dominance over the players or coaches in matches played in England. 

surprised they havent already if im honest, maybe UEFA has some sort of prevention to it

but would it change anything? they'd still be under the control of PGMOL and mike riley and thats where the problem lies

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

surprised they havent already if im honest, maybe UEFA has some sort of prevention to it

but would it change anything? they'd still be under the control of PGMOL and mike riley and thats where the problem lies

Fair comment, maybe to give the English refs a kick up the arse then  :) 

58 minutes ago, meregreen said:

As a tactic, I’m not too sure of the effectiveness of having one of our players standing in an offside position anyway. Any kind of interaction that affects the game, he’s immediately going to be flagged.So what is the point of putting him there.

I presumed it to be more of a confusion tactic and to be less easily marked. Though in last nights case it was obviously a plan to stop their guy (Cavani) getting a run at the ball.

I've done it loads of times at free kicks and as the ball is struck I would try to get back onside and in a position to score from a "second phase" knock down and it does work. I've scored once in about 500 games doing it 😛  

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

obstruction is an indirect free kick ;)

i thought normally when its offside they do they the semi circle gesture with their hand to signal it?

When I was a lad, yes.  But not for a few years now? 

Happy to be corrected. 

Â