The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

32 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Paddy power might be the only ones that speak out, need more to in future.

This is the best description of it. They were desperate to disallow it

given it a chance now i'm done with it. i was all in favour of it before it came in but i think i was genuinely happier before

it's not corrupt, as some believe. i can't imagine theres a meeting at the start of the season saying "make sure the scum 6 win something". i truely dont.

but there's simply a mentality issue. for reasons unknown, the referees do not want goals to be scored. nearly 4 mins spent on desperately trying to find a reason disallow the goal. but why is that the mentality? surely the fans want goals? excitement? they're sucking the enjoyment out of the game for us all and something needs to change.

ive said for ages, there should be a time limit. if in 30 seconds they cannot find something clear and obvious then the on field decision stands

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

given it a chance now i'm done with it. i was all in favour of it before it came in but i think i was genuinely happier before

it's not corrupt, as some believe. i can't imagine theres a meeting at the start of the season saying "make sure the scum 6 win something". i truely dont.

but there's simply a mentality issue. for reasons unknown, the referees do not want goals to be scored. nearly 4 mins spent on desperately trying to find a reason disallow the goal. but why is that the mentality? surely the fans want goals? excitement? they're sucking the enjoyment out of the game for us all and something needs to change.

ive said for ages, there should be a time limit. if in 30 seconds they cannot find something clear and obvious then the on field decision stands

Thirty seconds is more than enough time for the monitor watching ex-refs to stroke each other off,  and still disallow a goal. 

And ignore blatant red cards. 

30 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Unfortunately a time limit wouldn’t stop poor decisions, it would just force the refs to make poor decisions more quickly.

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Yep, for me, the ref on the pitch should be directed where to look on the screen, and given a couple of angles at normal speed. If they can't turn it over from that, the goal should stand.

No slo-mo, no 500 angles, no watching it 15 times. All the VAR should be saying is "have a look at player X's challenge on player Y", or "Have a look at whether it touches Player X's arm". Then 2 angles at normal speed, then a decision.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Unfortunately a time limit wouldn’t stop poor decisions, it would just force the refs to make poor decisions more quickly.

This is actually better than the current system though. I think we can all accept that there will be poor decisions in football games. Football refereeing is a giant grey area, so poor decisions are ultimately subjective and they can't be wiped out. The problem is absolute howlers, things the ref obviously just didn't see.

VAR should be about changing clear and obvious errors. That's how it was advertised, but that's clearly never how they've used it. 

Let the on-field ref see the play again from a couple of different angles at regular speed, and then he or she can decide whether to change their decision. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

This is actually better than the current system though. I think we can all accept that there will be poor decisions in football games. Football refereeing is a giant grey area, so poor decisions are ultimately subjective and they can't be wiped out. The problem is absolute howlers, things the ref obviously just didn't see.

VAR should be about changing clear and obvious errors. That's how it was advertised, but that's clearly never how they've used it. 

Let the on-field ref see the play again from a couple of different angles at regular speed, and then he or she can decide whether to change their decision. 

its so simple. why on earth they've not stuck to it i have no idea. yes when the guys in the studio analyse it of course they'll get things wrong but i really don't think people would be as bothered. its the re-referreeing that bothers people

• Like 2

The season started off with it only calling out for clear and obvious errors with fairly quick checks. But as time has progressed it’s resorted back to the ridiculous checking every single possible minor infringement to disallow a goal. I really don’t get why they do this. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Yep, for me, the ref on the pitch should be directed where to look on the screen, and given a couple of angles at normal speed. If they can't turn it over from that, the goal should stand.

No slo-mo, no 500 angles, no watching it 15 times. All the VAR should be saying is "have a look at player X's challenge on player Y", or "Have a look at whether it touches Player X's arm". Then 2 angles at normal speed, then a decision.

Ref going to the video is just an act the decision is already made to be reversed. 

I think I have only ever see the ref once go to the monitor and stick with his decision and that was at the World Cup 

It should be used to get a correct decision but instead it's causing 'negative' decisions. I'd to see the stats on how many goals/penalties it's given vs taken away. The benefit of the doubt used to go to the attacker...

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Ref going to the video is just an act the decision is already made to be reversed. 

I think I have only ever see the ref once go to the monitor and stick with his decision and that was at the World Cup 

There was one last year, Brighton v Spurs. Should have been disallowed for a clear foul. Ref went to the monitor and told VAR to get f*cked, even though VAR were right on that occasion.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The season started off with it only calling out for clear and obvious errors with fairly quick checks. But as time has progressed it’s resorted back to the ridiculous checking every single possible minor infringement to disallow a goal. I really don’t get why they do this. 

Really?

Look at who the beneficiaries are(in the vast amount of cases) and that will answer the question.

• Like 2

Â