The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Last night wasnt poor referring it was borderline corruption. The approach appeared to be "Can we possibly find any way of disallowing this goal' - completely against the guidelines under which VAR was implemented.   

The decision was actually correct it just took too long to come to it. 

DB385AB0-A0BF-43AD-8F3A-F68122F9C5BF.jpeg

7 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Even if that is correct - the general way VAR was used wasn't.  They analysed and analysed until they found something.

I didn't think JJ moved into the way of an opponent - Cavani ran into him and fell over.

But it's more the way VAR was used that bothers me.

Edited by hippo
  • Like 1

I don't know why they do it to themselves. Clear and obvious. Yep it works. After 1 minute if they can't find anything concrete just move on. They make a rod for their own back. They're just incompetent. Nobody would have kicked off if that goal was given. Now they bring the whole system into disrepute again. The refs are just not capable of using using tech and making judgements.

These people are useless. They can't even save themselves from themselves. There is not a single shred of self preservation or awareness in the lot of them.

They're morons.

Sack the whole organisation off. Outsource it to some European country or a US. It doesn't get any worse than this.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Even if that is correct - the general way VAR was used wasn't.  They analysed and analysed until they found something.

I didn't think JJ moved into the way of an opponent - Cavani ran into him and fell over.

Fair play to Cavani, always a top por and appears to know the rules inside out.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

I’m not happy with it either but JJ blocked him. It was a rehearsed move. He had no interest in the ball. I would scrap VAR now if it was an option and I’m sure 99% would. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

When we conceded at Man City with Mingsgate.....didn't the additional comments in the rule get conveniently ignored, manipulated or seemingly get, interpreted as not related.....after the "exceptions" claim, in the text.

It seems with us its like heads you lose tails you lose.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

When we conceded at Man City with Mingsgate.....didn't the additional comments in the rule get conveniently ignored, manipulated or seemingly get, interpreted as not related.....after the exceptions claim, in the text.

It seems with us its like heads you lose tails you lose.

I do think we’re the victim of terrible officiating more often that not. But there’s terrible decisions made every weekend. The spurs Liverpool game when Kane nearly broke Robertson’s leg and got a booking and then Robertson got sent off for a stupid kick out in the second half. There’s zero consistency in the league and it’s unacceptable 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I’m not happy with it either but JJ blocked him. It was a rehearsed move. He had no interest in the ball. I would scrap VAR now if it was an option and I’m sure 99% would. 

JJ was in a stationery position, Cavani could have run around him.....If JJ moved then, that would be blocking his path....JJ was there first.

I still think Cavani, ran in to him as a pre determined, plan.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I do think we’re the victim of terrible officiating more often that not. But there’s terrible decisions made every weekend. The spurs Liverpool game when Kane nearly broke Robertson’s leg and got a booking and then Robertson got sent off for a stupid kick out in the second half. There’s zero consistency in the league and it’s unacceptable 

It is now there's VAR. It's a disgrace how our officials haven't got the bottle to use and apply it properly. Embarrassing.

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The season started off with it only calling out for clear and obvious errors with fairly quick checks. But as time has progressed it’s resorted back to the ridiculous checking every single possible minor infringement to disallow a goal. I really don’t get why they do this. 

tenor.gif?itemid=11920296&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

JJ was in a stationery position, Cavani could have run around him.....If JJ moved then, that would be blocking his path....JJ was there first.

I still think Cavani, ran in to him as a pre determined, plan.

I disagree mate. It’s a routine we’ve practiced and it’s obvious to see that watching back. JJs only movement when the ball is played is a sidestep into the path of Cavani. He’s literally watching him 

349B878D-F6FB-40F1-A02E-2F6BEFBC2057.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Can't see how anyone can be mad about playing Manchester United feat. PGMOL off their own patch, other than at the refs. We're not perfect, but we're obviously trending in the right direction, and SG is clearly not resting on his laurels and isn't satisfied with this.

Absolutely. Let's see how we take the lessons from last night into Saturday's match. Tighter defending, more focused, ruthless finishing, and we are in with a great chance of winning.

• Like 1

Not sure why anyone is agreeing it was a foul to be honest. If there was no VAR, no one would have noticed Cavani running into JJ, an even if they did, no one would call it out as a foul an disallow the goal, as it was not inplay.

VAR disallowed the goal, not the ref, he waved it on. The problem is, with VAR, unlike before, is it rules and over rules out the ref using any common sense.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure why anyone is agreeing it was a foul to be honest. If there was no VAR, no one would have noticed Cavani running into JJ, an even if they did, no one would call it out as a foul an disallow the goal, as it was not inplay.

VAR disallowed the goal, not the ref, he waved it on. The problem is, with VAR, unlike before, is it rules and over rules out the ref using any common sense.

What gets me is there was so little of this when VAR was used in the Euros.

Why does the PL keep finding arcane rules to disallow goals.

I genuinely think it's the power of the big clubs.

We were playing crystal palace , Brighton - that goal would have stood.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You can’t interfere with a player who has a chance of playing the ball from an offside position. It’s a rule 

28 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

• Consistency is one thing and it can easily be disguised and wrapped up in possible bias.
  • Bias can easily be camouflaged as complex situations or subjective ruling.
  • Corruption can easily be borne out of  financial gain, by favouring the most popular clubs, in the media.
  • Incompetency is questioned, by so many of the above, that its difficult to differentiate now......Chichanery is becoming a more popular thought.

It seems to me VAR has caused more questions than answers....when in fact all it needed was goal line technology, not a second referee.....too many subjective decisions that was controlled by swings and roundabouts has now been forensically managed to include possible bias.....The hidden agenda is very much alive and kicking despite the obvious denials

The game is thick and fast and never designed for this level of scrutiny.....we have taken a Lump hammer, to crack a nut....its all gone OTT.

That game of ours took some swallowing and the theory by some that the team who show the initiative, usually get the close calls ( sort of understandable)is pie in the sky, on that evidence....The team showing the initiative was well and truly surpressed, by any one of the above.

We are in danger on that evidence of the game mirroring the WWF where entertainment rules and the result is.........who cares.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

You can’t interfere with a player who has a chance of playing the ball from an offside position. It’s a rule 

Common sense would tell a half decent referee, Cavani makes that foul. The same with players falling over in the box for a penalty, they sometimes need to use common sense, an to be fair the ref did in this case, but the VAR over ruled it.

You will see players get held back all the time when a corner is taken, and they are not even looked at.

You can justify it how you like, point being rule or no rule, if this was, say a Chelsea vs Man U, guarantee that goal would have stood 100%.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Common sense would tell a half decent referee, Cavani makes that foul. The same with players falling over in the box for a penalty, they sometimes need to use common sense, an to be fair the ref did in this case, but the VAR over ruled it.

You will see players get held back all the time when a corner is taken, and they are not even looked at.

You can justify it how you like, point being rule or no rule, if this was, say a Chelsea vs Man U, guarantee that goal would have stood 100%.

Jacob Ramsey is positioned where he is to block Cavani. I don’t know how many times that has to be made clear. He takes a side step in front of Cavani to stop him from tracking Konsa and defending the corner. It is not allowed. 

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Jacob Ramsey is positioned where he is to block Cavani. I don’t know how many times that has to be made clear. He takes a side step in front of Cavani to stop him from tracking Konsa and defending the corner. It is not allowed. 

Of course he is - but if he doesn’t make an effort to block him, which he doesn’t, it’s not a foul. He steps while Cavani is about 10 feet away.  Cavani runs into him on purpose.

I know you’re going to repeat it again but where he’s looking has absolutely no bearing on the situation.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Of course he is - but if he doesn’t make an effort to block him, which he doesn’t, it’s not a foul. He steps while Cavani is about 10 feet away.  Cavani runs into him on purpose.

I know you’re going to repeat it again but where he’s looking has absolutely no bearing on the situation.

We’ve been caught out trying to be smart with a routine, we won’t see the routine again. 

Â