The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I look forward to 10 penalties a game then 

I think people have been saying this for a long time - and I'm not really sure why such leniency is applied from corner situations.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's pointless having any sort of reasonable discussion with you to be honest - you just constantly put words in peoples' mouths like all bold part and then straw man with completely different incidents.

FWIW, there was a red card given to Ronaldo during his first spell with Man Utd (can't remember who it was against) where he flew in to a tackle and made zero contact with the player involved.  Probably better highlights what my "craziest football opinion ever" relates to in terms of challenges with no contact.

But yeah, stop putting words in peoples' mouths.  Really, really poor form.

👍

Just now, villa4europe said:

I look forward to 10 penalties a game then 

Yeah. A  lot of incidents of holding involve both players and refs seem to just decide "6 and two threes" and do nothing. But you're right that a lot of holding and grabbing goes unpunished. Shirt pulling much less so.

As for the Arsenal City game yesterday, the one Arsenal had turned down was never a pen, IMO and the one City got was soft, because as people have said it was basically a dive, but unfortunately for Arsenal the idiot defender did have a handful of his shirt, so regardless of the theatrics it should have been given.

Don't grab a shirt in your own area and then moan if a pen gets given for it.

Just now, blandy said:

As for the Arsenal City game yesterday, the one Arsenal had turned down was never a pen, IMO

Aside from the fact that Ederson kicks Odegaard and gets none of the ball. 👍

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yep me too.

Insanity the game that people want.

Who wants that? No one as far as I'm aware.

I think what people want is for defenders not to grab their opponents in the box, for attackers not to throw themselves to the floor at the slightest hint of contact, for attackers not to do what Kane and Salah (and others) do and deliberately move themselves in such a way as to initiate contact and make it look like they've been fouled to "win" penalties.

I think that what poeple want is a level playing field for all sides, not for a few favoured scumbag super-league clubs to get all the 50-50 calls and most of the 40-60 calls go their way every time.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I think what people want is for defenders not to grab their opponents in the box, for attackers not to throw themselves to the floor at the slightest hint of contact, for attackers not to do what Kane and Salah (and others) do and deliberately move themselves in such a way as to initiate contact and make it look like they've been fouled to "win" penalties.

Interesting take, considering somebody in this thread just stated that there doesn't even need to be contact for there to be a foul.

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Aside from the fact that Ederson kicks Odegaard and gets none of the ball. 👍

I think it was you (maybe I'm wrong there, apologies if so) who said something about the attacker trod on Ederson's leg? That's what I saw watching the match. Not as bad as the one that given for Man U at VP last season with Konsa, but along those lines.

It could have been given, but it would have been (IMO) extremely harsh. Emerson (IMO) didn't foul the attacker, he stretched for the ball, missed it and got trod on, then the forward (who was also stretching and off balance) went to ground.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Interesting take, considering somebody in this thread just stated that there doesn't even need to be contact for there to be a foul.

They were correct in saying that. It is a fact. It's also someone's signature I think (going slightly OT).

Another blatant pen given only by VAR in the Everton match. Are on-field refs instructed to not make big decisions (pens, reds) if they are unsure, since it is "easier" to give a pen or upgrade to a red with VAR than it is rescind a pen or red?

1 minute ago, a-k said:

Another blatant pen given only by VAR in the Everton match. Are on-field refs instructed to not make big decisions (pens, reds) if they are unsure, since it is "easier" to give a pen or upgrade to a red with VAR than it is rescind a pen or red?

I think that's right, not as an instruction, but as a human trait. Cricket followers will have see that happen with appeals - the umpires tend towards giving "not out" more often,  knowing that the fielding side can appeal it to TV replay.

53 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

You run in a very strange way if you think he's running there 🤣

Agree to disagree but I think you're completely blind if you think he's running in that picture and not already falling over. His left leg is dangling, not waiting to plant ffs.

Literally the next frame he plants his left foot. Then he goes down. 

It’s a dive. But it’s a dive after a foul has been committed.

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think that's right, not as an instruction, but as a human trait. Cricket followers will have see that happen with appeals - the umpires tend towards giving "not out" more often,  knowing that the fielding side can appeal it to TV replay.

Do they? The umpire’s decision still counts for a lot in LBW appeals so I don’t see why they wouldn’t just give what they think is correct.

For me it's pretty simple. Not all contact is a foul.

The contact has to be enough to cause a foul.

Xhaka on Bernardo first is nowhere near enough to cause that foul. Then the shirt pull is when he's on the way down. If you don't call shirt pulls like the one on Konsa in our game now, then you can't call them when the player is already falling over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Do they? The umpire’s decision still counts for a lot in LBW appeals so I don’t see why they wouldn’t just give what they think is correct.

Yeah, they do, but I suppose it’s off topic so I’ll leave it there

I think referee's had a bad day yesterday more than VAR did.

The Arsenal penalty shout with the keeper challenging Odegaard, I've seen from a few angles - you can clearly see from one of those angles that the keeper got the ball. You can clearly see from another of the angles that the keeper got the man and didn't play the ball. I don't think you can blame VAR for that one, it's like watching two different incidents depending on where you saw it from.

Rodri however, should have had five yellow cards and sadly VAR isn't allowed to just tell referees they're being rubbish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Off topic but this isn’t really the case. Just as the fielding side can appeal so can the batting side. So an umpire can give the decision he feels is right knowing that either side can fall back on an appeal if he’s got it wrong.

• Like 1

Just now, tom_avfc said:

Off topic but this isn’t really the case. Just as the fielding side can appeal so can the batting side. So an umpire can give the decision he feels is right knowing that either side can fall back on an appeal if he’s got it wrong.

It is the case, honestly. Test match cricket particularly. The umpires know how many appeals each side has left and when the fielding side has one or more remaining the umpires err towards not out decisions, knowing the fielding captain can call for a TV review. It doesn’t work the same in reverse, if the batters have appeals left, because giving out, when you’re not certain it is out is against the code (giving not out when you’re say, 95% convinced it is out, doesn’t break that code, I’m saying knowing the fielders have a chance to appeal has tended to make umpires more cautious in giving dismissals for LBW and nicks). It’s the science law.

VAR, on the other hand, the same science law leads on field refs to defer to telly refs too much.

by science law I mean human nature, meat robot programming.

7 minutes ago, Spoony said:

What do we think of Mane’s ‘elbow’ within the first 10 seconds of the Pool Chelsea game?

Don’t think it was intentional but I still think he’s lucky to get away with it

Â