The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

52 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I disagree mate. It’s a routine we’ve practiced and it’s obvious to see that watching back. JJs only movement when the ball is played is a sidestep into the path of Cavani. He’s literally watching him 

349B878D-F6FB-40F1-A02E-2F6BEFBC2057.jpeg

and at that distance between them, are you telling me, that Cavani could not avoid him😀Rag n Bone man could have gotten around him.....Further more Michael Oliver is in the perfect position to make a judgment on that controvesy and he sees no issue, at that point....only until the inner circle called him.

Its only when the offside is ruled out and handball is a dead duck, that this incident far from the actual goal, is brought up as evidence.....its called in general life as " Scrapping the barrel".....and ****ing scrap they did.

I accept you opinion, as that.....but I don't share it.

Would you in all honesty have expected that goal to be ruled out under the same circumstances at the other end?

I would be lighting candles in church, if we did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Even if that is correct - the general way VAR was used wasn't.  They analysed and analysed until they found something.

I didn't think JJ moved into the way of an opponent - Cavani ran into him and fell over.

But it's more the way VAR was used that bothers me.

He collapsed in a demonstration of Simulation....and that is what I think Michael Oliver actually thought, initially...until his authority was compromised.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

and at that distance between them, are you telling me, that Cavani could not avoid him😀Rag n Bone man could have gotten around him.....Further more Michael Oliver is in the perfect position to make a judgment on that controvesy and he sees no issue, at that point....only until the inner circle called him.

Its only when the offside is ruled out and handball is a dead duck, that this incident far from the actual goal, is brought up as evidence.....its called in general life as " Scrapping the barrel".....and ****ing scrap they did.

I accept you opinion, as that.....but I don't share it.

Would you in all honesty have expected that goal to be ruled out under the same circumstances at the other end?

I would be lighting candles in church, if we did.

He’s trying to defend the corner and a player steps into his path, to block his run, maybe he does go down easy but who doesn’t these days. If JJ is positioned closer to Cavani maybe it isn’t so obvious, but it’s done now and I think it’s the last we’ll see of that routine. 

Would it be the same at the other end? Unlikely I think they’d look at the handball and offside and United have a goal. If Cash connects with Bruno in the face like Shaw did to Konsa I think United have a penalty as well. 

Edited by IrishVilla10
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

He’s trying to defend the corner and a player steps into his path, to block his run, maybe he does go down easy but who doesn’t these days. If JJ is positioned closer to Cavani maybe it isn’t so obvious, but it’s done now and I think it’s the last we’ll see of that routine. 

Would it be the same at the other end? Unlikely I think they’d look at the handball and offside and United have a goal. If Cash connects with Bruno in the face like Shaw did to Konsa I think United have a penalty as well. 

I respectfully disagree with your reasoning on this occasion, despite the ruling.....as we seen in the last one at Man city, they changed the rule, with embarrassment.....rules are not always well contructed and common sense, can trump it, when strong principled men are involved.

The referee has to have the final say, In my book.....VAR is there to help, not overrule or influence.....He was close enough to have made his mind up, when he shook his head at Cavani's initial protest.....Oliver was compromised, IMO.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

It will be a sad day to admit that....but we are heading for that kind of thinking.

I dont like to believe this but thats where I am now. English officials are either terminally incompetent or corrupt. We need an independent body to clean up the officiating in this country. Till then I hope Villa park becomes toxic for officials. They deserve it.

9 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Trezeguet.....but lets leave it there.😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I respectfully disagree with your reasoning on this occasion, despite the ruling.....as we seen in the last one at Man city, they changed the rule, with embarrassment.....rules are not always well contructed and common sense, can trump it, when strong principled men are involved.

The referee has to have the final say, In my book.....VAR is there to help, not overrule or influence.....He was close enough to have made his mind up, when he shook his head at Cavani's initial protest.....Oliver was compromised, IMO.

The difference is when he first sees it he’s not giving a foul and play goes on. It happens in seconds. When he goes to the monitor he has the full view of the players and realises JJ interferes with Cavani from an offside position. 

Just to add I think Oliver had an absolute shocker. But the reason for this decision is clear 

Edited by IrishVilla10
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I dont like to believe this but thats where I am now. English officials are either terminally incompetent or corrupt. We need an independent body to clean up the officiating in this country. Till then I hope Villa park becomes toxic for officials. They deserve it.

They do.....but its like cutting your nose off to spite your face......nothing to be gained Ciggie, only unwanted publicity.....it could get worse, under such circumstances.

Irony and humour, is probably our greatest weapon....lets just take the pee out of it, it will have more impact.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • Consistency is one thing and it can easily be disguised and wrapped up in possible bias.
  • Bias can easily be camouflaged as complex situations or subjective ruling.
  • Corruption can easily be borne out of  financial gain, by favouring the most popular clubs, in the media.
  • Incompetency is questioned, by so many of the above, that its difficult to differentiate now......Chichanery is becoming a more popular thought.

It seems to me VAR has caused more questions than answers....when in fact all it needed was goal line technology, not a second referee.....too many subjective decisions that was controlled by swings and roundabouts has now been forensically managed to include possible bias.....The hidden agenda is very much alive and kicking despite the obvious denials

The game is thick and fast and never designed for this level of scrutiny.....we have taken a Lump hammer, to crack a nut....its all gone OTT.

That game of ours took some swallowing and the theory by some that the team who show the initiative, usually get the close calls ( sort of understandable)is pie in the sky, on that evidence....The team showing the initiative was well and truly surpressed, by any one of the above.

We are in danger on that evidence of the game mirroring the WWF where entertainment rules and the result is.........who cares.

That's a great point about the scrutiny.

Also VAR isn't progressing us. All it's proving is that with multiple camera angles and slo mo - you can make anything look like something else.

It's not solving problems - it's moving them.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm going to assume goals from corners will become a thing of the past now, there's ALWAYS some kind of blocking, pulling etc.

A clear and apt observation...

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

They do.....but its like cutting your nose off to spite your face......nothing to be gained Ciggie, only unwanted publicity.....it could get worse, under such circumstances.

Irony and humour, is probably our greatest weapon.

I look at it the opposite way. If its uncomfortable for officials then they are more likely to do their jobs properly. Big clubs use the crowd to influence the refs every week. We should do the same. 

Players, managers and particularly fans we all get called out ("dark ages") and subject to hostility when we do something. Refs need to get the same treatment. They are not impartial and are not there to make the game fair like in other countries. If they were then this wouldnt be an issue.

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

That's a great point about the scrutiny.

Also VAR isn't progressing us. All it's proving is that with multiple camera angles and slo mo - you can make anything look like something else.

It's not solving problems - it's moving them.

That is equally a valid observation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I look at it the opposite way. If its uncomfortable for officials then they are more likely to do their jobs properly. Big clubs use the crowd to influence the refs every week. We should do the same. 

Players, managers and particularly fans we all get called out ("dark ages") and subject to hostility when we do something. Refs need to get the same treatment. They are not impartial and are not there to make the game fair like in other countries. If they were then this wouldnt be an issue.

when someone is trying to be serious and scrupulously correct the biggest put down, is a joker.....Referree's would be majorly affected by such ridicule.

The best way to make a point, with minimum reprisal....is take the piss.

I'm sure there are some ready made comedians on the Holte, to deal with such matters.....as not to affect the club, adversely

• Like 2

Â