Josh Onomah

skarroki

14 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Is it any coincidence that we look a lot better since this guy has been dropped and we have moved to 2 up top.

I'm not a fan of the kid bit i don't think those 2 things are mutually exclusive. 

2 up top has certainly improved our form but that has little to do with simply dropping Onamah. 

38 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'm not a fan of the kid bit i don't think those 2 things are mutually exclusive. 

2 up top has certainly improved our form but that has little to do with simply dropping Onamah. 

I agree with this, onomah isnt to blame for the failure, its been more the wingers being so good and having two up top along with davis 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

i wouldnt as he is not a DM 

Agreed, and I'm not a fan of Whelan. I guess though another question would be, do we really need a dedicated DM playing in games like Bolton at home?

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How would you feel if you scored but your team mate got credited with the goal?

I'd magnanimously congratulate him, wait for him to hit the showers post-game then surreptitiously fragrance my perineum with his roll-on deodorant.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

Agreed, and I'm not a fan of Whelan. I guess though another question would be, do we really need a dedicated DM playing in games like Bolton at home?

Yes because then who protects the back four? All bolton would have to do is play two dm and they would over run us in midfield and cause us problems. If lansbury was fit id have him play the dm for this game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes because then who protects the back four? All bolton would have to do is play two dm and they would over run us in midfield and cause us problems. If lansbury was fit id have him play the dm for this game.

But there are many teams both at PL level and in the championship that don't play with a dedicated DM. My understanding of a midfielder was to get back and help the defence when the opposition has the ball and then support the strikers in possession. 

Away from home i get it, but at home do you really want a position taken up by a guy that does nothing apart from sitting in front of the defence? Because if thats the case we may aswell play 3 at the back. 

This is my issue with the role when playing at home. You have Whelan or Jedinak sitting just infront of the defensive, 40 yards behind the strikers offering absolutely nothing to our attacking threat. 

That leaves the other midfielder (lets say Hurihane) on his own in center cycle trying to chase down 2 opposition midfielders and getting completely overrun. That means Conor can't get forward and we have no link at all to the front line (sound familiar?) and pre Davis the ball comes straight back

So contrary to protecting the back line it invariable does nothing more than inviting pressure. 

I simply cannot except that a spine of Terry, Chester, CH and Onomah isn't sufficient enough to deal with Bolton Wanderers. 

As above has said, I'd really prefer to have a CM who is more defensively minded, and one who is more attacking minded - it just gives a balance and is why Lampard Gerrard never worked - it leaves too much space in the middle of the pitch for opponents (no matter how bad they may be) to exploit. 

Having a more defensive minded player as CM is good too because they are often a good "out" ball when space gets tight on the wings.  They're like a reverse number 10, in between the midfield and defence, they have that little bit of space around them, allowing them to play it simple back or sideways.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that and it helps maintain possession.

It most modern, successful teams they have a nice balance in midfield of defence and attack.  Whealan I thought did an ok job against Burton, despite being criticised on here, he broke up quite a lot of attacks.  Not as eye catching as Hourihane though.   

I don't think Onomah has that discipline yet, he's more likely to get around the pitch.  We need someone who is happy sitting in the middle and offering help to the back 4. 

Strange one, in the sense that he moved here to prove to Spurs he could play the box-to-box role rather than the number 10...and now it seems he's being forced into the latter here.

Personally, he doesn't have the quickness or the creative pass to play number 10, but i am very impressed with his coolness on the ball.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

Strange one, in the sense that he moved here to prove to Spurs he could play the box-to-box role rather than the number 10...and now it seems he's being forced into the latter here.

Personally, he doesn't have the quickness or the creative pass to play number 10, but i am very impressed with his coolness on the ball.

He was invariably played out wide for Spurs, not as a number 10.

Started promisingly and has got worse each game.

Last 3 games when he's been on the pitch he has under hit a LOT of simple passes and each time it has been a suicide pass.

That and losing the ball the rest of the time.

Maybe it's because he's being asked to support Hogan up front for the last 15 to 20 ? Doesn't fill me with confidence when he comes on, which baring in mind his first few games, is baffling 

Edited by brummybloke
Twatty predictive text
  • Like 1

I actually think Onomah yesterday showed signs of improvement from recent weeks. Looked pretty decent going forward. There was only one incident, when we were defending and he toe poked the ball past our defenders for the Bolton winger to run on to.

I think Bruce is managing him well. He is a young lad who lost form. Bruce brings him on in an attacking role rather than having the responsibility of holding the midfield. The downside of that approach is that he is a loanee and stopping O'Hare developing in the same position.

22 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He was invariably played out wide for Spurs, not as a number 10.

It's true that he was largely played out wide for Spurs, but it's also true Pochettino 'let him' move because the player himself prefers the central role and his manager doesn't fully trust him there, so the move to us was an opportunity for him to prove his worth in that position.

Â