Josh Onomah

skarroki

On 01/10/2017 at 09:34, The Fun Factory said:

I don't think we are going to see the best of him if Brucey just keeps on bringing him on for the last 20 when trying to hold out for a win. 

I think you are missing the point that he's being brought on to protect the win i.e the players being played instead of him have got us into a winning position. 

For me he started well but faded. Others are ahead of him on merit because the team has worked without him there. 

If sub to see out the game is his position so be it. 

Injuries will take their toll and he will get a chance and need to take it when he does. 

Until then you don't change a winning team. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stegzy said:

I would like to see him start in place of Whelan in our easier games as he is all action and has a great engine.

I’d like to see Jedi start if Whelan doesn’t, for now at least. We have plenty of ‘all action’ in our other 5 outfield players while we are playing 4-4-2, and that established overtly defensive shield that GW and NJ provide helps our defence which is currently solid, and provides a platform for our offensive play. I just wouldn’t tamper with a system that is at long last working. But do agree that is a option that I would relish.

i would love to keep Onomah, I think the role you suggest would be an upgrade once he matures and has a seasons consistency.

On 07/10/2017 at 00:39, stegzy said:

I would like to see him start in place of Whelan in our easier games as he is all action and has a great engine.

He might have a good engine, he should do as he is young and seems athletic enough...but he doesn't use it. The last few appearances I have been very underwhelmed. The least I expect from a youngster when he is brought on with 20 minutes to go is put a shift in, but he hasn't. He only runs one way, forward. He always looks zoned out, with little awareness of players breaking or going behind him, he is rarely on his toes to receive a pass.  He is so lackadaisical I would never play him in a 2, even against the weakest of teams.

The fact Bruce has been playing him as a No.10 is a damning indictment for a so called box to box midfielder at this level. He cannot be trusted.

10 minutes ago, VanDerVaart said:

Did he come on as sub? He plays deeper for England than he does for us and I don't like to see him subbing on for Whelan at times a season he wants to be a CM not just an AM. if he can play a team a high tempo in CM he'll be some player but at the minute he's quite ponderous and reminds me of Tom Huddleston. Loads of ability but a bit slow in doing everything and that separates the decent players to the top players. 

30 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Did he come on as sub? He plays deeper for England than he does for us and I don't like to see him subbing on for Whelan at times a season he wants to be a CM not just an AM. if he can play a team a high tempo in CM he'll be some player but at the minute he's quite ponderous and reminds me of Tom Huddleston. Loads of ability but a bit slow in doing everything and that separates the decent players to the top players. 

No, he played 90 minutes. Think I accidentally left the time-stamp on but the video should play from the start now rather than from near the end.

I'm a big fan of his, as a (deeper-lying)central midfielder. Anywhere else and he's not worth the bother.

Edited by VanDerVaart
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VanDerVaart said:

No, he played 90 minutes. Think I accidentally left the time-stamp on but the video should play from the start now rather than from near the end.

I'm a big fan of his, as a (deeper-lying)central midfielder. Anywhere else and he's not worth the bother.

That's where I'd like to see him play. Thanks. 

So with Grealish coming back, what happens with them? Onomah has played the #10 role, but wants to play Hourihane's role. I think Onomah is the better player over Grealish, but at least Grealish is our player. I don't want to stunt Grealish's growth if we are just going to lose Onomah no matter what next season.

11 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Terrific display, showed some real quality at times.

I thought he played very well. This is going to sound strange given that but I still don't see him as a 10. He's a talented player doing a good job for the team so all credit to him. 

Work rate particularly was excellent, looked dead on his arse a few times in the last 15 mins but kept going and kept contributing. 

34 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Could be the difference next Sunday if he plays.  Very assured on the ball.

Who will he replace though? Hourihane is the only real chance I suppose. Snod and Adomah are too good to drop. Whelan is wrong role. And I'm pretty sure Kodja continues.

Â