Josh Onomah

skarroki

Onomah%20Story%202560x1440.ashx?mh=360&m

Josh Onomah has joined us on loan for the season!

A young Spurs player who has been referred to as the best of the current generation of the Spurs academy, it is somewhat surprising he's actually being allowed to go out on loan, let alone to the Championship. 

It's likely we'll see him coming in to replace Grealish in the squad as the most attacking midfielder, however he has also played out wide for Spurs and often gets referred to as a box-to-box midfielder and has been compared favourably to Moussa Dembele by fans.

Here's hoping it works out!

www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/tottenham-transfer-news-josh-onomah-aston-villa-loan-mauricio-pochettino-loan-deal-a7876226.html

Josh Onomah heads to Aston Villa as Mauricio Pochettino takes unusual decision to send youngster out on loan

Onomah is rated as the best future prospect in the Spurs set-up, yet he has never been sent out on loan before given Pochettino's wish to protect him from perceived lesser coaches

Mauricio Pochettino does not bend easily but in the case of Josh Onomah he has changed his mind. 20-year-old Onomah is heading to Aston Villa on loan, giving him the chance to test himself in central midfield in the Championship this season.

That would be common at many clubs but at Tottenham it is a surprise. Pochettino’s policy with his best youngsters at Spurs – and Onomah remains the most gifted of his generation – has been to keep them at Tottenham. Pochettino rates his own coaching staff so highly that he does not want lesser coaches getting their hands on his players.

So Onomah, unusually for someone his age, has never been on loan. At the start of the summer Huddersfield, Brighton and Burnley were all interested in taking him but Spurs said no. A good offer from Celtic, where he would have played more, was rejected too.

But after getting Onomah back in for pre-season just three weeks after the Under 20 World Cup final – which Onomah’s England won – and then taking him to the US tour, Pochettino has decided to change course. And the decision on the loan is ultimately inseparable from the debate on Onomah’s best position.

Onomah sees himself as a box to box midfielder, especially given his physical development in his late teens. That is the role he has played in youth teams and that is where he played so successfully for England U20s earlier this summer.

But Pochettino does not trust him there, not yet. Last season Onomah and Harry Winks started as equals but Winks quickly earned Pochettino’s trust in the middle, Onomah never did. By the end of the season, Winks had started 12 games, Onomah just three.

Pochettino only saw Onomah as an option out wide, trying to make the most his speed and strength, but not trusting his skills in the middle. Ultimately he was a back-up for Moussa Sissoko and that was it, until he proved to his manager that he had learned.

The problem with Pochettino’s stance is that he was not giving Onomah the chance to prove himself in midfield at Spurs, but nor was he allowing him to do that elsewhere. Onomah was stuck. People close to Pochettino were insisting to him that Onomah was in fact a very promising midfielder and should be allowed to play there. Pochettino is a manager with very clear ideas in his head about how he wants to work, and he does not change path willingly. But this week, in the case of Onomah, under strong advice about what Onomah can be, he gave way.

Edited by skarroki
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This really is a massive impressive bit of business. well done Brucie!! 

Pah, don't you know that landing these impressive and quality players is all just the work of someone other than the manager? I'm sure Potchetino who never lets ANYONE else's coaches go near his players, can't have sanctioned this, to Steve Bruce, who we all know is just a terrible coach.  

• Like 2

Just now, Jareth said:

Pah, don't you know that landing these impressive and quality players is all just the work of someone other than the manager? I'm sure Potchetino who never lets ANYONE else's coaches go near his players, can't have sanctioned this, to Steve Bruce, who we all know is just a terrible coach.  

Who cares if it results in promotion! 

The Spurs academy has put out a few good players over the years so fingers crossed he's one of the good ones. I can't remember seeing him play though. Exciting to have another new face though, I hope he can be the difference for us in a few games.

@sir_gary_cahill do you know much about sir?

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

No brainer if all the talk is true, just don't let us get locked into a situation where it's stipulated he must play every week.

I struggle to believe that this is ever the case with a loan. I'd be amazed if it was written into a contract. All the times it's been mentioned before, just seem to be when people can't understand why said player is playing. 

"Why's our ground so empty this week?! It must have been part of the new TV deal that we only sold 16,000 tickets for this match, so that the TV companies get more viewers! Bahh sky!"

• Like 2

I think this is the sort of player that we should be looking to bring in on loan to add to our squad strength. Other clubs have greatly benefited from loans recently and we should have the contacts to bring in one or two possibly with a view to buy option where possible. 

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

I struggle to believe that this is ever the case with a loan. I'd be amazed if it was written into a contract. All the times it's been mentioned before, just seem to be when people can't understand why said player is playing. 

you can pay different loan fees depending on whether or not he plays, say a loan fee of £20k per week to spurs if he plays but £50k a week if he doesnt

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

"Why's our ground so empty this week?! It must have been part of the new TV deal that we only sold 16,000 tickets for this match, so that the TV companies get more viewers! Bahh sky!"

There have been many cases of lower league teams  ;) having to play players given to them on loan deals, I haven't just pulled it out my ass  :)

Â