John Terry

Farlz

Just now, jackbauer24 said:

I want Bruce gone, completely, utterly and without hesitation BUT let's step back a second here and really think about the accusation that he's sabotaged our defence to engineer this situation. It just can't be the case. There'll be a team working on all aspects of comings and goings and it's not as though he's secretly sold/loaned players behind the owner's backs!

There's been a massive error in judgement somewhere and he's definitely partially responsible but it simply can't be sabotage in this day and age. At worst he's convinced the powers that be that we can make do with what we've got and will have to admit fault and plea for a free agent - hardly makes him look good to his employers. More likely, the team behind the transfers, SB included, assumed they had a replacement for Elphick and it all went t*ts up.

I still think this Terry story has grown from fan hope to column filler based on nothing whatsoever and he's is not coming back. Whilst the need is so obviously there I think Bruce won't admit his mistakes, the owners don't want to bankroll this kind of player and Terry won't want to be seen as a desperate last resort. Not happening in my opinion.

I dont know..  it is quite an over sight to think.. ok Chester Tuanzebe (kid on loan) are my only CB's available. Most managers will tell you that you need 4 at the club. So we are actually 2 down.. but Bruce considers Mile a CB now (sackable offence alone)

Now Bruce is a smart guy.. hes a defender.. hes been managing for years.. there is no way in hell he was not going to bring in a CB. A few failed bids on the final day..  He has played our new owners. Well done Steve. Although it just might back fire on you when they hire JT to replace you.  

3 minutes ago, KSV said:

Now Bruce is a smart guy.. hes a defender.. hes been managing for years.. there is no way in hell he was not going to bring in a CB. A few failed bids on the final day..  He has played our new owners. Well done Steve. Although it just might back fire on you when they hire JT to replace you.  

This line of thought is hilarious, as if Steve Bruce is solely in charge of signing players and waited around until deadline day before calling up a manager and making a Levy bid for a couple of players, giggling, then saying "well I tried boss, guess we'll have to get JT now, mwa ha ha", ridiculous.

Signing (or failing to sign) players is down to a team of people at the club, Mourinho isn't being criticised for his refusal to sign a CB is he? They needed one too, they failed to get one despite numerous bids, Mourinhos fault I guess? Man Utd had a lot more time to find targets than us as well

We didn't get a CB, we needed one, that's the fault of Aston Villa, not Steve Bruce. I'd actually put most of the blame at the hands of Xia, leading us into the summer with no structure and no money, no plans and no direction, even when the new owners came in we were so short of staff we didn't have sufficient people to deal with these sort of transfers 

30 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes let's bring back an over the hill 38 year old to be our saviour. What a stunning testament to Bruce's lack of planning this window. This is embarrassing. 

I think our business in the summer in terms of how light we have left the back is embarrassing. It could actually be deemed as negligence.

But Terry returning makes us better then we currently are.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, weedman said:

This line of thought is hilarious, as if Steve Bruce is solely in charge of signing players and waited around until deadline day before calling up a manager and making a Levy bid for a couple of players, giggling, then saying "well I tried boss, guess we'll have to get JT now, mwa ha ha", ridiculous.

Signing (or failing to sign) players is down to a team of people at the club, Mourinho isn't being criticised for his refusal to sign a CB is he? They needed one too, they failed to get one despite numerous bids, Mourinhos fault I guess? Man Utd had a lot more time to find targets than us as well

We didn't get a CB, we needed one, that's the fault of Aston Villa, not Steve Bruce. I'd actually put most of the blame at the hands of Xia, leading us into the summer with no structure and no money, no plans and no direction, even when the new owners came in we were so short of staff we didn't have sufficient people to deal with these sort of transfers 

The same thing happened last season with our left back position. We got lucky that Hutton was able to fill in there. 

At centre half we got lucky Chester and Terry remained for for most of the season. Samba, Elphick and Jedinak were able to chip in. 

We’ve had no strength and depth at the back for a while and it’s got worse. 

It makes no sense. Bruce is hardly one to mince his words. If all his efforts to strengthen the back failing were down to the club not completing their business im sure he’d be quick to say it. 

Maybe the truth will come out once he is sacked. 

57 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes let's bring back an over the hill 38 year old to be our saviour. What a stunning testament to Bruce's lack of planning this window. This is embarrassing. 

Bruce is 100% to blame for this, but i don't see that we have much choice.

57 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd sort of agree (although I wouldn't be as miserable as you) at the start of the window. We should be looking elsewhere.

But given the situation we now find ourselves in, I'd take him back 100%

Still don't think it will happen though

• Like 1

Makes complete sense.

It's embarrasing in the fact that we haven't done enough to solve our defensive issues in the transfer/loan window. We have left ourselves with two first team centre backs and one first team left back.

It's embarrasing in the fact that we currently line up with a centre back at right back, a midfielder at centre back and a right back at left back.

Despite this Terry is probably the one centre back we needed back at the club the most. Not for his performances on the pitch (which were largely very good), but for his leadership off the pitch. We are currently broken as a club, the performance on Saturday showed this, the players are no longer playing for the manager. We bring Terry in and he can help to get the side playing again, if Bruce goes we still have him in the dressing room.

He won't be able to play as many games as last season, and it may take him a few weeks to get match fit (although he now has two weeks to get started), but Terry coaching Tuanzebe means we can utilise him properly as a centre back.

It's also no coincidence that Hutton has looked shakier this season out of position in a poor defence. The same goes for Nyland, thrown under the bus in his first game and now playing with a makeshift defence.

Terry returns and we have to start playing round pegs in round holes

Hutton   Chester   Terry  Taylor

Let the above players play in their natural positions for a run of games and see how they go. Taylor is never going to get his confidence back sitting on the bench, and we are a weaker team without a naturally left footed player at left back. If it doesn't work out after 4-5 games we then bring Elmo or De Laet in at right back and shift Hutton to left back again. Tuanzebe plays whenever Terry cannot play two games in a week.

Bjarnasson, Jedinak and Whelan rotate at DM until we are confident enough to play a 3 man midfield and take the game to the oppostion. Jedinak can then be sold in January and we buy a young centre back who we can integrate into the first team squad ready for next season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Signing terry means he’ll persist with Tuanzebe at RB ...

Nah I still think Elmo will end up at RB again once Bolasie and El Ghazi are starting on the wings.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Signing terry means he’ll persist with Tuanzebe at RB ...

Nah Tuanzebe will be moved to DCM now.

Will be perfect since we only have 3 senior players to cover there already.

• Like 3

Bring back Terry and let's smash this:

------------------------------ GK ---------------------------

----------- Tuan ------ JT ----------Chester -------

--- Elmo ----------------------------------- RDL ------

----------------------- McGinn --------------------------

--El Ghazi---------Grealish-----------Bolasie---

------------------------- Kodj -----------------------------

I said on here on deadline day I thought Bruce was taking a gamble in letting elphick go and that he would again try to persuade the owners to go for JT - it’s now down to the owners whether they see it was a calculated gamble by Bruce and get rid of him or they decide to back him and bring JT back - maybe purslow will strengthen the JT case as he has been at Chelsea for a few years - however as much as I think we need JT back now we are light in defence I would like to see the owners see through Bruce’s gamble and fire him .

8 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

The racist saviour. Why not just offer him the manager's job, he could bring Tonev in as his assistant ?

U ok hun?

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I would have taken him back in a heartbeat at the end of last season and I will take him back in a heartbeat now.

There are a billion and one reasons to bash Bruce for Lord knows, but bringing back JT is NOT embarrassing.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Makes complete sense.

It's embarrasing in the fact that we haven't done enough to solve our defensive issues in the transfer/loan window. We have left ourselves with two first team centre backs and one first team left back.

It's embarrasing in the fact that we currently line up with a centre back at right back, a midfielder at centre back and a right back at left back.

Only one really mate, Chester.

It might be a short term fix to a regretable situation.

but JT needs to come back for a season.

until we can fix the situation properly on a long term basis.

We really are short on options now.

• Like 1

Â