Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

They have loads and they’re very accurate. They’ve already fired over 650 cruises missiles at Ukraine and I can assure you they are all guided weapons. As with the majority of the Russian Air Force the main stock of PGMs is being preserved, analysts speculate this is in case of war with NATO.

Ah ok, yeah it was the air force bombs I had in mind. The bombs the jets are dropping are not guided, presumably as a cost saving exercise. 

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

is roman just a low hanging fruit who is now very publicly being sanctioned so that the calls of doing nothing disappear or is he genuinely a word removed?

I've posted this a few times, look up RA's history. It was RA that introduced Putin to Yeltsin which started him on his way to the top. It is RA that funds Putin's election campaigns. RA used to have (not sure if he still does have) a flat in the Kremlin. It's said he's like a son to Putin and he's so familiar to Kremlin staff they refer to him as Mr A

You don't get closer to Putin than that. At the list of all the oligarchs, he's at the very top of the list

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I'm sure that's bollocks.  it just doesn't make sense, if it's anything like an administration they're duty bound to keep generating as much revenue as they can whilst curtting as many costs as they can.  Strangling income streams just destroys the asset.

I mean what's the point in seizing the asset then destroying it?  They're not taking the cash out of their bank accounts and burning it, or letting all the tenants in those swanky London addresses live rent free.

It shouldn't be banned from earning money, just that Abramovich can't pocket any of it.

It does sound odd, because without ticket revenue, and money from Roman they’ll soon rack up debts and potentially go out of business.

Just now, Genie said:

It does sound odd, because without ticket revenue, and money from Roman they’ll soon rack up debts and potentially go out of business.

Yeah, it make absolutely no sense. Just someone tweeting for reaction I think.

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm sure that's bollocks.  it just doesn't make sense, if it's anything like an administration they're duty bound to keep generating as much revenue as they can whilst curtting as many costs as they can.  Strangling income streams just destroys the asset.

I mean what's the point in seizing the asset then destroying it?  They're not taking the cash out of their bank accounts and burning it, or letting all the tenants in those swanky London addresses live rent free.

It shouldn't be banned from earning money, just that Abramovich can't pocket any of it.

It's only frozen until the end of May so presumably just a couple of months revenue lost before it will be sold in the summer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Apparently there's a £20,000 limit on travel costs to matches. Which is going to make Champions League away trips (eg Lille next week) logistically interesting for them. 

Players will have to pay their own way 😂

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Players will have to pay their own way 😂

A lot of companies make employees pay up front for expenses, then claim them back. I don't see why it should be an issue with millionaire footballers.

1 hour ago, peterw said:

When we see bombs hitting civilian targets such as hospitals, we need to not jump to conclusions relating to the purpose of the act but consider all the variables because we will never get the full story.

There is also the possibility of, ya know, not dropping the bomb.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Russian tanks being picked off on the west side of Kiev. It's not artillery doing that though. 

its difficult to watch with all the camera movement ,but it seems like having watched a tank ( or APC , i think) blow up in front of them , the remaining units just sat still  !

25 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Apparently there's a £20,000 limit on travel costs to matches. Which is going to make Champions League away trips (eg Lille next week) logistically interesting for them. 

Imagine a few of them sharing a room in a youth hostel in Munich in the QF of the Champions League

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

And roman shouldnt be using any of his wealth to fund them 

44 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm sure that's bollocks.  it just doesn't make sense, if it's anything like an administration they're duty bound to keep generating as much revenue as they can whilst cutting as many costs as they can.  Strangling income streams just destroys the asset.

So it seems this is in fact correct, BBC reporting it now too.

Still makes no sense to me, if the intention is eventually to sell the club eventually it's not going to be worth as much money as it otherwise would.  I expect they'll refine this as the days go on.  whoever is put in charge by The Government to run it will want to ensure it remains a saleable asset.

15 minutes ago, AXD said:

Imagine a few of them sharing a room in a youth hostel in Munich in the QF of the Champions League

They might have to go cap in hand and ask the opposition to sort the accommodation (if it’s allowed?).

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Still makes no sense to me, if the intention is eventually to sell the club eventually it's not going to be worth as much money as it otherwise would. 

It most likely will be worth just as much. Ticket sales are not really the massive income generator, especially mid season.

Ticket sales form a very small part of income these days

Â