• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

41 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

@JAMAICAN-VILLAN at any point have you come into this thread and made a critical post based on what people have actually said?

It seems like you just see something on Facebook, think x should be getting criticised too and jump in here to scream how everyone happens to be ignoring it. With issues you largely didn't give a shit about raising awareness on before Ukraine. In a thread that has nothing to do with them.

YARN | Yep. That's exactly what happened. | The Office (2005) - S02E10  Christmas Party | Video gifs by quotes | fcbedeec | 紗

Also, why would I be raising awareness about " issues I largely never gave a shit about " on a forum I usually come onto to, to speak about football, until there was a reason to do so. lol

It's also a bit rich of anybody to make assumptions about what any other poster does or doesn't give a shit about, outside of the forum unless you know them personally.

You also assume I have nothing better to do, than to browse Facebook, and then run over here, to bang my head against a wall, in the Russia thread on Villatalk.

I bring up certain things, as reference to certain arguments, in relation to this situation.

Don't lump me into your generic cluster mate.

I scan the posts, and make a general statement or opinion.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

8 minutes ago, Xann said:

Friends' kids in Somerset had regular lessons stopped at schools for explanations about the Ukraine conflict and World War III.

Anywhere else?

My 9 year old is doing the vikings at the moment, not sure if they've got to the raping and pillaging part yet though 

2 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

My 9 year old is doing the vikings at the moment, not sure if they've got to the raping and pillaging part yet though 

Fairly heavy stuff.

My friends' kid is 12.

2 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

They covered the blood eagle yet? 

I dont mind the idea of them learning about the conflict and what's brought it about, not so convinced about the WW3 stuff though even if a cold war angle on it would be good too

My school skimmed over the cold war 

18 minutes ago, Awol said:

That’s the logical answer, but the passions of the people are not governed by logic and have political effect. A chemical attack on Kyiv would make it much harder for western leaders to resist pressure for escalation, both from the public and the media war hawks - imo.

Well they used them on Aleppo and we didn't bat an eyelid so I don't know what's changed now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

YARN | Yep. That's exactly what happened. | The Office (2005) - S02E10  Christmas Party | Video gifs by quotes | fcbedeec | 紗

Also, why would I be raising awareness about " issues I largely never gave a shit about " on a forum I usually come onto to, to speak about football, until there was a reason to do so. lol

It's also a bit rich of anybody to make assumptions about what any other poster does or doesn't give a shit about, outside of the forum unless you know them personally.

You also assume I have nothing better to do, than to browse Facebook, and then run over here, to bang my head against a wall, in the Russia thread on Villatalk.

I bring up certain things, as reference to certain arguments, in relation to this situation.

Don't lump me into your generic cluster mate.

I scan the posts, and make a general statement or opinion.

Everything I've assumed has been from your posts and your posts alone.

Of course I know nothing about you and what you care about, the point is you never seem to have raised those issues before. You saved them for when Russia has invaded another country, in the discussion about this issue, to provide some sort of balance. Many us care about those issues and try to raise awareness with people we know. Personally I find it very sad once this is over no one will give a shit about any of the other worldwide conflicts and everything will be back to 'normal'.

The reality is this was always going to capture attention more because it's right on our doorstep and, as it's Russia, has made people seriously think about the threat of nuclear missiles for the first time since the Cold War.

The comment about Facebook isn't because I assume you spend your life there. I've often seen you post about arguing with unreasonable people on there, so I thought maybe you'd read some shitty opinions and projected them to this thread. Because I've seen very few people being anything but balanced and reasonable in here.

11 minutes ago, Xann said:

Friends' kids in Somerset had regular lessons stopped at schools for explanations about the Ukraine conflict and World War III.

I hope the teachers explained that when the RAF dropped cluster-bombs on the Serbian refugees in 1999, it was morally correct, and that using depleted uranium was the right thing to do.

I think we bombed the odd hospital too, but hey, we all make mistakes.

They should be taught that when we do it, it is perfectly acceptable, but not when Johnny foreigner does it.

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Well they used them on Aleppo and we didn't bat an eyelid so I don't know what's changed now. 

The people are less brown so the public opinion is different.

And no, before a particular someone jumps up and down  screaming, I don't personally think that

14 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

BTW - How is your friend that went back to Ukraine to find her mother? Is she and her family okay? I seriously hope so because I can assure you Abramovich's family are just fine. 

Yes, she thankfully got her yesterday.

No, I didn't misread the room. Knowing the climate of the room, is exactly why I approach " the room " as I do now.

I got met with arrogance from the word go, so I don't mind dishing it back out.

Yes, I'm possibly scatter shooting out of annoyance, and just hoping whoever the cap fits, will wear it.

My first couple of posts, trying to be balanced, making disclaimers and pointing out that I wasn't trying to wind anyone up etc, made no difference to how people approached, so i'm not going to make any bones of my opinions either.

Also, whether you like it or not, some of the comments and responses, are introspective to the mind frame of certain people.

There are also many instances of people totally ignoring certain points I cover in posts, and selecting the " best bits " for a response which aligns with the image they are trying to project of my involvements on here,

I'm also not naive enough to not realise we have an International fanbase with people of all backgrounds and cultures, life experiences etc.

Let's not pretend that the bulk of it, aren't " Western " and British, with biased ideologies, towards the " right " side though. Whether consciously or subconsciously.

We all have our biases, it's just fact. some people are also just too lazy to look outside their " box ". You can be an International traveler, and still have learned or ingested nothing at all of note.

I wasn't even trying to be condescending, my point was that, for example, being in the Middle East for a long time, gave me a TOTALLY different view, of what I was taught ( through News media , culture , elders ( Old boys ) who knew no better etc). Than what I would have, if I had just stayed in Jamaica | USA | England.

That statement was more in reference to what I view, as my unbiased openness to view situations from a broad spectrum and entertain all angles. NOT me trying to insinuate that everybody else in the thread or on the forum is uncultured or thick ffs. That would be stupid of me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

We did bat an eyelid, in fact we were going to attack the Assad regime until Ed Miliband pulled his support from the government at the last second, and voted it down in Parliament. The RN had a submarine in the Eastern Med ready to join the Americans and French. The vote in Parliament gave Obama cold feet and that left the French isolated, so almost nothing happened - but that wasn’t the original plan. 

The difference is obvious though, Kyiv is a European capital not a Middle Eastern capital, and Russia is an invader while Syria was a civil war (at least technically). Both points make a difference, whether folks on Twitter think that’s a racism or not. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They covered the blood eagle yet? 

I dont mind the idea of them learning about the conflict and what's brought it about, not so convinced about the WW3 stuff though even if a cold war angle on it would be good too

My school skimmed over the cold war 

In junior school we did the Romans, secondary school I can't actually remember what we did

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

It is sh1t that the fans, tea ladies, caterers and so on will be the ones to most suffer here. However, in the case of the fans at least they've been throwing around the best owner in the world tag for a long time now. However, he has been mentioned numerous times when people have been talking about governance in football and safeguarding clubs. Many journalists have taken pelters for trying to raise awareness of the type of people who own/are invlolved with football clubs especially the likes of the Saudis, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Abramovich. F**k me, this club nearly ceased to exist because of a charlatan of an owner. Having such an owner carries the inherent risk of it all blowing up in your face someday.

Bit in bold, is one of the things I was alluding to.

Look, this might be selfish of me, but if Egypt for example, got into a conflict with a historical/political rival , and Nassef was somehow mates with the President or whoever ordered the invasion/war ( but by all accounts, had nothing to do with said invasion, and could even privately be against it, but couldn't publicly speak out, whether that be due to loyalty, or being in fear of his and his families lives if he did ) I wouldn't necessarily want Aston Villa to suffer for it.

13 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

They should be taught that when we do it, it is perfectly acceptable, but not when Johnny foreigner does it.

Working with her Mum on Tuesday, will find out more then.

I'm intrigued on how the subject was broached too?

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Bit in bold, is one of the things I was alluding to.

Look, this might be selfish of me, but if Egypt for example, got into a conflict with a historical/political rival , and Nassef was somehow mates with the President or whoever ordered the invasion/war ( but by all accounts, had nothing to do with said invasion, and could even privately be against it, but couldn't publicly speak out, whether that be due to loyalty, or being in fear of his and his families lives if he did ) I wouldn't necessarily want Aston Villa to suffer for it.

Abramovich hasn't been targeted just because he happens to be Russian. He's integral to Putin's regime and supplied the steel used to build the tanks rolling into Ukraine.  

• Like 1

Â