Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

3 hours ago, striker said:

Would it not be better if unable to sell to come to some sort of agreement with those players that Bruce and Villa no longer want to pay up their contracts?

I know that Richards and Gabby are on a fair whack but it would be a fresh start for the club and allow Villa to promote more youth into the squad.

I think that's easier said than done. 

The only players who'd 'do a deal' are those just desperate to play football. If you are Gabby or Richards as an example, then why leave for less when you can just sit tight and keep collecting your money? 

I doubt anyone would offer either of them anywhere near what they are getting here and so then can (rightly in one sense) see out there contracts and probably still get a move at the end of it. 

I'd love to see quite a few go, but I'm not hopeful that the ones we really want out will be those departing. 

Kind of influenced by the playoff final going on right now, but if Reading do not go up, I think it'd be worth looking at Danny Williams to give Jedinak some competition. I have watched him several times now and never fails to impress. Full of energy, strong, a tidy passer and gets a few goals from midfield. He's probably entering his prime right now and offers something we are missing. Think is contract is expiring although there might be a renewal already in place, if not on a free it'd be a superb signing. 

• Like 2

We can all speculatively pick players from other clubs who we would fancy.....but what use is that?

We want a team

a bunch of players who are blended and play well together......That takes a bit more Nous than idling away playing "football manager"....

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

We can all speculatively pick players from other clubs who we would fancy.....but what use is that?

We want a team

a bunch of players who are blended and play well together......That takes a bit more Nous than idling away playing "football manager"....

Not sure it's realistic to expect us to sign an entire team, not sure it's even allowed. ^_^

Think we'll have to sign them player by player.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, sne said:

Not sure it's realistic to expect us to sign an entire team, not sure it's even allowed. ^_^

Think we'll have to sign them player by player.

but surely we can do what we all used to do on Football Manager.  Become Manager of Barcelona while still manager of Villa.  Sell all their best players to Villa for £1 and then we sell all our rubbish players to them for all their transfer kitty and then resign as Barcelona manager and win the league with Villa.  So we dont need to buy the whole team SNE, that would just be plain silly.

• Like 3

Wyness has said most our loan players are wanted permanently by their loan clubs.. also that a few that we are interested are moving quicker than he thought. We may see some early signings. 

2 minutes ago, KSV said:

We may see some early signings.

We better, otherwise the pro-Bruce camp will be whinging until Christmas with the excuse we didn't have a 'settled squad' at the start of the season.

21 hours ago, TRO said:

We want a team

Cant believe you wrote that.

So how do we get a team then?

By not targeting players that offer something thats missing from the players we have?

Its a forum. a thread with a theme. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If possible I'd bring Gil back into the fold, at this level I think he'd be very good. 

As do I, but he doesn't want to be here.

I have my own views on keeping players contractually obligated but the majority wouldn't agree.

However I think if we can't shift them, we use them, or they buy out there own contracts.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

What pisses me off about the Gil thing is that of all 3 relevant parties, it's Villa being seen as the only one who has to be considerate of the other two.  Gil doesn't want to be at the club he signed for and Depor have a 'sensitive financial situation'.  Yeah, you can't **** afford him.  Villa have done no wrong.  He's being an ass and they want something for nothing.  Meanwhile we're being asked to potentially wave goodbye to millions because they can't keep their house in order and because he wants a move.  Boo **** hoo.

The Randy era effectively turned us from top 4 challengers to a doormat for footballers to wipe their dirty boots on.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Eastie said:

We bought in 8 players in January so the vast proportion of our business has been done early as wyness said at the time - we now need 3 of 4 decent signings to top off the squad and get rid of some of the dross .

as far as Incomings I don't think there will be a busy summer but it's vital they are first team material and not just squad players.

Good Points.

from the position we are now in......players coming in should be first team material until they prove otherwise......The players we already have need to fight back for their place......thats the competition we need.

I know it seems obvious to most ,but it has not been happening for years.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Good Points.

from the position we are now in......players coming in should be first team material until they prove otherwise......The players we already have need to fight back for their place......thats the competition we need.

I know it seems obvious to most ,but it has not been happening for years.

I think you are right but how do we create that atmosphere? I think quite a few players are happy to sit on their contracts and pick up their wages. How do we change the atmosphere at the club or perhaps more pertinently, can it be changed?

29 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you are right but how do we create that atmosphere? I think quite a few players are happy to sit on their contracts and pick up their wages. How do we change the atmosphere at the club or perhaps more pertinently, can it be changed?

That is the thing SGC it takes time to rebuild what has been pulled asunder.

We will recruit many players that won't turn out for us ,but the tide will turn and we will sign more good than bad.

The atmosphere was rotten and every man for himself....it takes more than 3/4 of a season and one window to remedy that.

.....mark my words .....one player signed right, will come in and transform us just like Cropley did all them years ago......we went up a notch.

It happened when Merson came in too, we went up a gear.

Sadly, we are coming from a more more difficult position now ,to get that, when we want it, but it will come.

PS Players with the wrong attitude, thrive on manager change, because they have another "get out of jail free card"

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

That is the thing SGC it takes time to rebuild what has been pulled asunder.

We will recruit many players that won't turn out for us ,but the tide will turn and we will sign more good than bad.

The atmosphere was rotten and every man for himself....it takes more than 3/4 of a season and one window to remedy that.

.....mark my words .....one player signed right, will come in and transform us just like Cropley did all them years ago......we went up a notch.

It happened when Merson came in too, we went up a gear.

Sadly, we are coming from a more more difficult position now ,to get that, when we want it, but it will come.

We have tried pretty much everything though, new manager, owner and a new playing squad virtually and nothing has changed. What do you think the next step is for this football club if Bruce doesn't get us promoted this season? The style of football is turgid still and quite a lot of fans have turned away (not me I hasten to add), my support will never wane, I would still support the football club if we were in the Ryman Premier League, I wish the playing staff shared this mindset

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Cant believe you wrote that.

So how do we get a team then?

By not targeting players that offer something thats missing from the players we have?

Its a forum. a thread with a theme. 

Patiently build.

read it again, the clue is in the third line.....blend.

GH we can all pick individuals, but it might not make a team......I don't suspect Nobby Stiles was one of the best players in England before we won the World Cup.

Our Euro Winning TEAM was not house hold names.

but they was teams, not 11 individuals like us.....but it takes time.

Yes......Its up to the manager to blend them.....but it don't happen in 5 minutes.

• Like 2