Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

10 minutes ago, mrjc said:

I would definitely have taken £1.5m for Bacuna.  He might (validly) seem more valuable given fees elsewhere in the market, but if no-one's willing to come up with £2m / £3m, that's no good to us at all.  

For the benefit of £1.5m in and wages saved for the remainder of his contract (and no real negative impact on our squad), I would have happily taken it.

I think he is worth keeping than letting go for peanuts.

£3m min.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

£3m min.

If we had no financial worries, I'd agree.  And if someone pays £3m - excellent.

If they don't?  We'll be no better off in footballing terms, but considerably worse off financially.

I understand the sentiment of not wanting to sell for peanuts, but right now I think the certainty of the money offered made (and wages saved) it worth it.

Hopefully you're right and he goes for £3m though!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It was the first game of the season or at least first home game if I'm not mistaken?

We lost 2-0, to Wigan, at home. 

Just goes to show that us being utter shit really isn't that new a thing.

Delph started after looking decent in pre-season, and then promptly but in an absolutely dismal performance. Meanwhile we had the £13m, £100k a week, experienced duo of Sidwell and Nige sitting on the bench.

Just Martin O'Neill things.

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

£3m min.

I would except an actual bag of salted peanuts.

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It was the first game of the season or at least first home game if I'm not mistaken?

We lost 2-0, to Wigan, at home. 

Just goes to show that us being utter shit really isn't that new a thing.

Then went on to have a good crack at the top 4 that season ;)

Edited by Mammoth10

Much as I don't rate Bacuna, I'd rather have him haring around the pitch as a nuisance value sub than sell him for next to nothing. He provides cover and not a lot else but if it means we can rest players and sub them off, then he's worth having around. That being said, a few of the youngsters look like they can do that job too...

In short, dunno. 

Bacuna is only 25 and is 6' 2"?  Thought he was older and shorter.  Also, if we can get another 500,000 GBP from Reading, that's not chump change.  I'm okay with the more hardline approach.

1 hour ago, matteyp said:

Bacuna is only 25 and is 6' 2"?  Thought he was older and shorter.  Also, if we can get another 500,000 GBP from Reading, that's not chump change.  I'm okay with the more hardline approach.

Agreed. He's not great by any stretch but I think we should get more for him considering the state of the sport this day n age.

That game he got sent off in he was MOTM... not that he was often that good, but I think Bacuna's "champions league" comments really didn't do much for him from a fan point of view. He's not very good, but we've had worse players in the past few years (for e.g. Karim El Ahmadi, Simon Dawkins, Yacouba Sylla, Libor Kozak). 

Wouldn't be too upset if he left though, but if he stays that's fine too.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

This Omaha looks a coup, we have a cracking squad on paper. Get em fit and get them playing at their known ability and we should walk this season. Sounds easy doesn't it, but that doesn't factor in the Aston Villa curse.

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

This Omaha looks a coup, we have a cracking squad on paper. Get em fit and get them playing at their known ability and we should walk this season. Sounds easy doesn't it, but that doesn't factor in the Aston Villa curse.

I do believe our resident priests are on the verge of lifting that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matteyp said:

He's not 6'2. He's lucky if he's 5'11.

Met him numerous times for reference!

• Like 1

News from the world: according to Norwegian newspaper VG, Norwegian Odd players Thomas Grøgaard and Sondre Rossbach (LB and GK) were scouted by representatives from Bayer Leverkusen and, incidentally, Aston Villa. The match in question was the Europa League qualifier between Odd (name sounding considerably less strange in Norwegian) and Dinamo Zagreb. These two are 23 years old and well known from several youth national sides.

In case something solid comes out of it, you might have heard it here first!

Soooo, say we do get the touted £10 mill for Amavi, plus Baker's 4 mill, aly's 1.5, veretout's 6 - and deduct the money spent on Whelan and Elmo - we're about 20 mill up. Gotta be less on the cusp of FFP and more comfortably within.  Then possibly get rid of Bacuna, money in from a Mcormack loan and maybe Gardner offloaded somewhere too - could be room for one more in. I wouldn't mind Crouch, think he would give us an option we don't have at the mo. Probably being greedy though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Soooo, say we do get the touted £10 mill for Amavi, plus Baker's 4 mill, aly's 1.5, veretout's 6 - and deduct the money spent on Whelan and Elmo - we're about 20 mill up. Gotta be less on the cusp of FFP and more comfortably within.  Then possibly get rid of Bacuna, money in from a Mcormack loan and maybe Gardner offloaded somewhere too - could be room for one more in. I wouldn't mind Crouch, think he would give us an option we don't have at the mo. Probably being greedy though. 

I'd take Crouch in a heartbeat. Need experience upfront, and somebody who has decent movement. As long as we play the ball to his feet for him to hold and lay off.... I remember his heading skills last time here!

Edited by Dick
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gompedyret said:

News from the world: according to Norwegian newspaper VG, Norwegian Odd players Thomas Grøgaard and Sondre Rossbach (LB and GK) were scouted by representatives from Bayer Leverkusen and, incidentally, Aston Villa. The match in question was the Europa League qualifier between Odd (name sounding considerably less strange in Norwegian) and Dinamo Zagreb. These two are 23 years old and well known from several youth national sides.

In case something solid comes out of it, you might have heard it here first!

Tbf they would settle in pretty quickly. We have numerous odd players at the club already so team chemistry would be high.....

• Like 2