Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

18 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

RE Johnstone I just do not see it. Does not seem to make a lot of saves, and was consistently worried about him just inviting pressure with mistakes. I hope that I will be proven wrong but it seemed that he was not a major factor in a lot of the clean sheets he had this past season. 

I just think that there is much better value out there than Johnstone

What mistakes? Early on he let a few weak ones in but after they was solid. A clean sheet is a flea but sheet and praise goes to all the players but the major factor is the defence and keeper. Name keepers we can get for better value? It's a loan deal. 

I'm still convinced we'll be in for a cm who had bags of energy. I think the team needs that, but I think Bruce does as well (I've never spoken to him obviously). But for me that is the reason that Bacuna would get games

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I'm still convinced we'll be in for a cm who had bags of energy. I think the team needs that, but I think Bruce does as well (I've never spoken to him obviously). But for me that is the reason that Bacuna would get games

McCarthur seems to be lInked recently from palace - some reports claim it's us and Burnley after him.

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Well I think you'll find a man called Ron Saunders turned Swain ( he was also a winger at Chelsea)  & Withe in to top players -

i'm very comfortable in my own assessment of Elmohamady to be honest with you

Well that's exactly my point....the Manager turned them into top players.... they were what HE needed, not who the fans rated...... as I say exactly the point I'm making, let the Manager choose who he wants .

And I said I have no problem fans being comfortable in their own assessments of players but it doesn't mean we should be concerned about the Manager just because he doesn't share it - see opening paragraph again !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think SB thinks that Barney the Viking can fill that role....

26 minutes ago, VERB27 said:

I've said this before, but last year I took one main thing away from our championship experience:

The championship is $h!t.

You'll hear old school pundits, your mates at the pub, Barry the bus driver say 'ooh tough tough league to get out of'.

For me, I thought it was largely full of piss poor, physical and talentless teams.

To get out of this league we don't need CR7 in his prime, an up and coming great Albanian superstar or a Porto wonderkid. 

We need a solid team that plays 'good' football week in week out. Whether that be in Rotherham on a Tuesday night or Fulham at 3pm Saturday.

I feel we have the players that can do that already - we just need a solid game plan and a good preseason. We need to be well drilled and organised and we need to be at our peak fitness.

Do the above and I don't care if we sign Glen Whelan or Rick Stein. 

Good post 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SirSteveUK said:

I think SB thinks that Barney the Viking can fill that role....

I  think we'll see the Viking further up the pitch, just off the strikers. In his last game prior to injury he was making runs in behind the strikers, pulling the defence apart. We have no one else who really has that attribute 

• Like 1

The Championship is not 'shit', it's just not as good as the Premier League, but obviously all you need is players good enough to reach and win the playoffs at least to get promoted.

The squad we have at the minute is among the top 6 in my view, so I do agree with the sentiment that we don't need to sign Ronaldo or any wonderkid. It wouldn't harm our chances of ensuring promotion though.

Edited by a m ole

3 hours ago, Junxs said:

Of course it is, last year towards the end I could see he wasn't up to much but was willing to give him the summer to IMPROVE the squad from an attacking point of view. So far he hasn't done that, all the players he is after are defensive players. I really thought he would sign a top goalkeeper and 2 wingers to really add flair and creativity to the team. He goes for Johnstone and what looks to be Elmohamady and Glen Whelan. These are exactly the type of players the next manager will be adding to the bomb squad. So in my view we have not attempting to improve from an attacking standpoint at all. More dull football next year on the horizon.

Theres still a chance that Grealish and McCormack may suddenly get their act together, but Bruce hasn't attempted to improve the problem area at all. So in my estimation he's going down in my manager ranking of him.

Watching the rubbish last year it was blatantly obvious to anyone that we lacked goals and creativity. So when he said he would only be getting 3-4 players in to improve the quality of the team, the last positions in my mind were a centre back, defensive midfielder, another right back/defensive right midfielder and getting the same rubbish keeper again.. !   

I'm not sure why people think we need to improve the squad from an attacking POV. 

He has an embarrassment of riches in midfield and up top in that regard. It's not the squad that needs improving, it's the way we play. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I  think we'll see the Viking further up the pitch, just off the strikers. In his last game prior to injury he was making runs in behind the strikers, pulling the defence apart. We have no one else who really has that attribute 

I thought he got into some great positions last season 

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Well that's exactly my point....the Manager turned them into top players.... they were what HE needed, not who the fans rated...... as I say exactly the point I'm making, let the Manager choose who he wants .

And I said I have no problem fans being comfortable in their own assessments of players but it doesn't mean we should be concerned about the Manager just because he doesn't share it - see opening paragraph again !

No my point is Saunders and Atkinson were top managers capable of recruiting top players- Bruce is far from being a top manager in my humble opinion - but I will reiterate this, as a fan of many many years I can assure you that I can tell a player from someone who can't play - I honestly feel that this is the case for many other supporters of long standing as well and in my view Elmohamady is not a player and therefore why should I get excited about signing a player of his Calibre. It fills me with dread that Bruce is linked to his signature.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I'm not sure why people think we need to improve the squad from an attacking POV. 

He has an embarrassment of riches in midfield and up top in that regard. It's not the squad that needs improving, it's the way we play. 

Indeed, I'd sacrifice a few signings for better coaching and organisation of the squad we have.  

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

We have one senior winger at the club..

25 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Up front we should already be set, but the midfield really didn't work last season, needs more quality in wide areas IMO. Bruce also really didn't get Lansbury and Hourihane working together proper, if he can correct that then we'll see a lot more from them.

• Like 3

Agreed that coaching is the biggest issue but as others have said we are weak in wide areas and have been since Young and Downing left. 

It's possible Green and Adomah can do the job but in my view though he has potential going into a season expecting Green to give you circa 10 assists plus a few goals is a big risk. 

• Like 2