Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

I do like Crouch and was sad when he left, was getting a lot of unnecessary stick from Villa fans. He's gone on to have a good career since.

But it just seems to me Bruce is trying to fix areas that don't need to be fixed. in this moment in time we have a lot of good strikers, I just done see what Crouch offers in a team that only creates 2-3 half chances a game.

On the right wing we have Adomah who is very hit and miss, and doesn't have a back up other than sticking Hutton or Bacuna on the wing (neither of who is very creative)

On the left we have Green, who I want to see play more, but is very young - his back ups are Grealish who isn't a winger and Bjaranason who looked terrible when played in that position, and again isn't his natural position. 

To me its quite obvious our weakest positions are wingers by quite some distance, but Bruce has done nothing to address this. We have had some links to Elmohahamdy though who is one of the poorest wingers I have seen. Right at the start of the Terry thread I said that if we blow our wage budget on Terry and end up with someone like Elmohamady on the wing then I'm going to cry and it looks like exactly that will happen.

Seeing as we are likely to be playing 3-5-2 next season we don't need wingers

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Seeing as we are likely to be playing 3-5-2 next season we don't need wingers

He tried that last season and soon reverted back to wingers as soon as he realised it wasn't working. So what you're saying is, he's going into the new season with no/weak plan b?

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I would love us to put in a loan bid for Chalobah from Chelsea... it would depend whether he wants to play 10 times for Chelsea or 46 times for us, but I think he would be great for us in midfield, his work rate is excellent and presumably JT could put in a good word?

I'm sure that I heard that he is on his way to Watford.   

Just now, John said:

Allegedly for £5m as he's in the last year of his contract. 

We should be trying to convince him to come here instead but accept we cannot offer premier league football.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Surely that's not possible Junxs? 

Of course it is, last year towards the end I could see he wasn't up to much but was willing to give him the summer to IMPROVE the squad from an attacking point of view. So far he hasn't done that, all the players he is after are defensive players. I really thought he would sign a top goalkeeper and 2 wingers to really add flair and creativity to the team. He goes for Johnstone and what looks to be Elmohamady and Glen Whelan. These are exactly the type of players the next manager will be adding to the bomb squad. So in my view we have not attempting to improve from an attacking standpoint at all. More dull football next year on the horizon.

Theres still a chance that Grealish and McCormack may suddenly get their act together, but Bruce hasn't attempted to improve the problem area at all. So in my estimation he's going down in my manager ranking of him.

Watching the rubbish last year it was blatantly obvious to anyone that we lacked goals and creativity. So when he said he would only be getting 3-4 players in to improve the quality of the team, the last positions in my mind were a centre back, defensive midfielder, another right back/defensive right midfielder and getting the same rubbish keeper again.. !   

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Junxs said:

He tried that last season and soon reverted back to wingers as soon as he realised it wasn't working. So what you're saying is, he's going into the new season with no/weak plan b?

Firstly for 3 at the back he needed Terry I assume was his thoughts and number one priority and then plan b if getting crouch might be 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1 with Crouch being the main man upfront and Kodja, Mccormack or Grealish being the other two. Or putting Crouch and Hogan upfront with one of the others behind.

4-4-2 might be 4th or 5th choice formation with the players we have and thus the names you mentioned would be ok

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

I do like Crouch and was sad when he left, was getting a lot of unnecessary stick from Villa fans. He's gone on to have a good career since.

But it just seems to me Bruce is trying to fix areas that don't need to be fixed. in this moment in time we have a lot of good strikers, I just done see what Crouch offers in a team that only creates 2-3 half chances a game.

On the right wing we have Adomah who is very hit and miss, and doesn't have a back up other than sticking Hutton or Bacuna on the wing (neither of who is very creative)

On the left we have Green, who I want to see play more, but is very young - his back ups are Grealish who isn't a winger and Bjaranason who looked terrible when played in that position, and again isn't his natural position. 

To me its quite obvious our weakest positions are wingers by quite some distance, but Bruce has done nothing to address this. We have had some links to Elmohahamdy though who is one of the poorest wingers I have seen. Right at the start of the Terry thread I said that if we blow our wage budget on Terry and end up with someone like Elmohamady on the wing then I'm going to cry and it looks like exactly that will happen.

And that's exactly why you should be worried that Bruce remains in charge - links to Elmohamady should be viewed with grave concerns - the guy in my opinion is very poor - straight out of the you know who school of technical ability 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, John said:

That's a shame, we should really try and lure him, he's a talent and a workhorse from what I've seen. £5m isn't too bad either, surely we could do that?

27 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Of course it is, last year towards the end I could see he wasn't up to much but was willing to give him the summer to IMPROVE the squad from an attacking point of view. So far he hasn't done that, all the players he is after are defensive players. I really thought he would sign a top goalkeeper and 2 wingers to really add flair and creativity to the team. He goes for Johnstone and what looks to be Elmohamady and Glen Whelan. These are exactly the type of players the next manager will be adding to the bomb squad. So in my view we have not attempting to improve from an attacking standpoint at all. More dull football next year on the horizon.

Theres still a chance that Grealish and McCormack may suddenly get their act together, but Bruce hasn't attempted to improve the problem area at all. So in my estimation he's going down in my manager ranking of him.

Watching the rubbish last year it was blatantly obvious to anyone that we lacked goals and creativity. So when he said he would only be getting 3-4 players in to improve the quality of the team, the last positions in my mind were a centre back, defensive midfielder, another right back/defensive right midfielder and getting the same rubbish keeper again.. !   

Agreed

We need to score more goals next season from all areas of the pitch and not just rely on Kodija all the time

All the signings we have made so far have been purely negative and god forbid either Lansbury or Hourihane get injured because we will be back to seeing Gardner and Bacuna in the middle again 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Firstly for 3 at the back he needed Terry I assume was his thoughts and number one priority and then plan b if getting crouch might be 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1 with Crouch being the main man upfront and Kodja, Mccormack or Grealish being the other two. Or putting Crouch and Hogan upfront with one of the others behind.

4-4-2 might be 4th or 5th choice formation with the players we have and thus the names you mentioned would be ok

Not sure why 3 at the back his priority would be JT when he has spent most of his career in the back 4 - I'm not sure we have the wing backs to make it work , 

Id far rather 442 or 433 -can see this 5 at the back being a big flop and we cannot afford another shit start - play players in the roles they are comfortable in - same goes for Lansbury and hourihane and to a lesser degree hogan - they were brought in and then asked to adapt to a very different way to the systems they had been used to .

He has the players to get promotion , we cannot afford to screw up again as Bruce chops and changes his formation .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dave J said:

And that's exactly why you should be worried that Bruce remains in charge - links to Elmohamady should be viewed with grave concerns - the guy in my opinion is very poor - straight out of the you know who school of technical ability 

I don't accept that because you don't rate a player we should worry that Bruce is in charge.

For myself, I never rated Kenny Swain at Chelsea, never thought much of Peter Withe before he joined us, never thought much of Andy Townsend before he did, etc etc etc

Nwver thought Darren Anderton was any good, nor Heskey, nor any number of players all of whom did well in the right environment and were rated by far more knowledgable people than me.

Whilst I've no problem with fans liking a player, or not....rating a player highly, or rating a player low....I do have a problem when fans - in possession of a tiny fraction of the knowledge of most Managers - decide a Manager doesn't know what he's doing just because he doesn't SHARE their view.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 3

It's perfectly possible to improve the attacking part of a side by strengthening the defence and/ or midfield.

In exactly the same way as towards the end of a game where you are desperate for a goal it's possible to weaken your attack by withdrawing midfielders and adding attackers.

Its quite possible that is Bruces thinking and as such it would st least make sense to find out .... yes ? No ?

Edited by terrytini

Just now, Junxs said:

I think those positions are core problems with team balance over the past 7 years. Jedinaks fitness and general lack of defensive midfield, no width from before we sold Albrighton (plus his energy lost too), silly mistakes by defenders costing us many games.  Gk, you make a good point! Very unsure about Johnstone.

You're right we need some creative quality but perhaps that will come from first full season signings and younger players that now need to prove themselves. 

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

It's perfectly possible to improve the attacking part of a side by strengthening the defence and/ or midfield.

In exactly the same way as towards the end of a game where you are desperate for a goal it's possible to weaken your attack by withdrawing midfielders and adding attackers.

Its quite possible that is Bruces thinking and as such it would st least make sense to find out .... yes ? No ?

Yes but you buy players to fit that system , he seems t have bought players not used to 532 and decided on the formation later .

N January he said now we had hogan he had got the right players to play 442 - if he's not sure how he wants to play it's a worry - I'd rather he know the formation and be comfortable with it after 8 months at the club .

i like Bruce and think he has the players to get up but play to their strengths - more more on the front foot and less caution .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I don't accept that because you don't rate a player we should worry that Bruce is in charge.

For myself, I never rated Kenny Swain at Chelsea, never thought much of Peter Withe before he joined us, never thought much of Andy Townsend before he did, etc etc etc

Nwver thought Darren Anderton was any good, nor Heskey, nor any number of players all of whom did well in the right environment and were rated by far more knowledgable people than me.

Whilst I've no problem with fans liking a player, or not....rating a player highly, or rating a player low....I do have a problem when fans - in possession of a tiny fraction of the knowledge of most Managers - decide a Manager doesn't know what he's doing just because he doesn't SHARE their view.

Well I think you'll find a man called Ron Saunders turned Swain ( he was also a winger at Chelsea)  & Withe in to top players - I'm very surprised you didn't rate Townsend - I saw him at Norwich years ago and said to my wife we should sign him - it took until another top manager in Atkinson getting the job before Townsend arrived.

i'm very comfortable in my own assessment of Elmohamady to be honest with you - with the greatest of respect. And I'm happy to repeat we should be concerned at the prospect of players of his ilk showing up at Villa park