Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

11 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

Wow Wolves have bought Neves from Porto for Championship record 15.8 million. He's quality way better than Championship. They are going the about Promotion that we should have done. We won't finish above them next season.

So erm, when's Glenn Whelan signing? :(

So, If he is then why has no team gone for him? Granted he was at a top Portuguese club (a bit like being at Celtic but a bit better) so why haven't  a champions league club snapped him up? Or even a europa league team? Or even a West Ham or Southampton or Everton who's ambitions must be to qualify for Europe? 

Plus, it's one signing. What about willy boly who really struggled at Porto last year. And is on loan for a year? How would you have reacted with this signing? Or Miranda, who failed at benfica before spending a few years with world beaters rio ave. 

And its ok putting Ruben neves in a midfield with Conor coady or whatever shit player they find but is there a guarantee this will work? 

I think wolves will struggle this year. 

38 minutes ago, Eastie said:

They will find it tough in the championship and a far cry from Porto - still a big gamble paying big money for young oversea player although I'm sure his agent is laughing all the way to the bank.

i don't think Wolves will be one of our biggest challengers this season - maybe play off contenders if they are lucky but we should really be aiming for top 2 with the squad we have  .

They are certainly making a completely different sort of gamble than we are.

Going with a manager who is new to the league and country and signing young foreign players. Just like with us I think it comes down to getting players that will be comfortable to work under the manager and I think they are doing that with these signings. They have language and football style in common. I

If they click they will be dangerous next season, think they might also bring in some more loan players from Portugal. If they flop I'm sure they will easily recoup the money spent. And of course make agent Jorge Mendes even richer.

We are going the same way but with a different approach. We're are also (if the rumors are correct) signing players that the manager knows and in some cases has worked with before. But since Bruce is "old school" English (not meant in a derogatory way) we are mostly going for experienced and domestic players. Strangely thou opting for "youth" in the GK position.

This is also a gamble as these players while at one point great or at least good are in the twilight of their careers and in some cases played very little football last season.

For us thou I think, no matter what the club says, that our approach this summer is in large part down to keeping the spending down to comply with FFP. And that if Bruce had more money to spend he would have gone for other options. Still think the 2 already brought in, Terry & Johnstone would have been signed as I think Bruce really wanted them. So good on Bruce for getting the tagets he wanted.

Let's hope it all works our. 

• Like 1

I do like Crouch and was sad when he left, was getting a lot of unnecessary stick from Villa fans. He's gone on to have a good career since.

But it just seems to me Bruce is trying to fix areas that don't need to be fixed. in this moment in time we have a lot of good strikers, I just done see what Crouch offers in a team that only creates 2-3 half chances a game.

On the right wing we have Adomah who is very hit and miss, and doesn't have a back up other than sticking Hutton or Bacuna on the wing (neither of who is very creative)

On the left we have Green, who I want to see play more, but is very young - his back ups are Grealish who isn't a winger and Bjaranason who looked terrible when played in that position, and again isn't his natural position. 

To me its quite obvious our weakest positions are wingers by quite some distance, but Bruce has done nothing to address this. We have had some links to Elmohahamdy though who is one of the poorest wingers I have seen. Right at the start of the Terry thread I said that if we blow our wage budget on Terry and end up with someone like Elmohamady on the wing then I'm going to cry and it looks like exactly that will happen.

I would love us to put in a loan bid for Chalobah from Chelsea... it would depend whether he wants to play 10 times for Chelsea or 46 times for us, but I think he would be great for us in midfield, his work rate is excellent and presumably JT could put in a good word?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Would have been all for Crouch if we hadn't spent a ridiculous 15m on Hogan in January. He will be picking up 45k minimum. Where does this end?

Financial ruin.

I would imagine it would be a 1 year contract similar to Terry's... so I doubt that we will be financially ruined as a club by next June. 

I might be wrong (and having re read it, I think I am!) but since we aren't in European competitions the UEFA FFP doesn't apply to us, so it is just the football league FFP which affects us. That's taken on a three year rolling average, where teams that have been in the PL within their three year rolling average are allowed to lose £39m per year as an average over those years... if singing Crouch for a season is the straw that breaks the back then we're screwed no matter what we do... but I don't think that is the case. We'll be fine financially in my very humble opinion.

Edited by alreadyexists

16 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Would have been all for Crouch if we hadn't spent a ridiculous 15m on Hogan in January. He will be picking up 45k minimum. Where does this end?

Financial ruin.

I doubt he is on anything like that amount.

I've seen a few comments about RHM and Davis being considered as striking options. RHM maybe, as I think he is rated fairly highly, but Davis hasn't exactly pulled up any trees has he?

I still think he's pretty far away from becoming a first team option.

28 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Financial ruin.

How about we let those in control of the finances worry about the clubs financial situation.

I mean we don't even know how much Xia is worth let alone how the club is doing financially right now or where we stand with FFP. 

If we are after Crouch then whether he's on £10k, £30k, £50k or £100k+ I assume we can afford him.

Like I said let those running the club worry about our finances.

• Like 1

I wouldn't at all be against Crouch, he's still a decent player and should be good at this level. What is worrying is that having spent close to £40m on strikers alone last season, we still don't seem to have it right, surely we ought be shifting one of them (e.g. McCormack) if we do sign Crouch.

Lots of rumours and some clearer tips from Bruce etc....... which if put together form a picture of what could easily be a definite plan to supplement the squad with age/experience.

Add to that Bruce's comments going way back to Christmas about players who won't be overawed it seems to me he has clearly decided that it's not flair, or even ability particularly, that's needed, it's character.

It would follow that none of us are likely to be anywhere close to judging players character as well as he can, particularly given his experience. 

As such I'm 110% content with whoever he chooses.

Whether he is RIGHT that it's character we need above all, well that's debatable ( I think he is right).....and it's fair enough if people disagree with that diagnosis. But GIVEN that diagnosis it makes sense to leave the choosing of who fits that to him, be it Whelan, Crouch, or whoever.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I wouldn't at all be against Crouch, he's still a decent player and should be good at this level. What is worrying is that having spent close to £40m on strikers alone last season, we still don't seem to have it right, surely we ought be shifting one of them (e.g. McCormack) if we do sign Crouch.

Agree to some extent - certainly it'd have been better to discover a successful pairing without spending all that !.....but on the plus side they do/ would at least all offer something different.....we'd have a poacher, a soloist, a 'big man', and a clever one........that's one good set of options if all are fit.....and it should be possible to play at least two at a time. Overkill, but a useful overkill over 46 games...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Junxs said:

I'm feeling like that already tbh after the Johnstone thing and strong links to Elmohamady.

Really cant see promotion at all next season, and want Bruce gone more than ever before. 

Surely that's not possible Junxs?