Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Its interesting to hear different views.....I think He is right to be looking at the back, here is my reasoning:

• Statistically you would naturally think we have been defensively good, but equally your attacks should start at the back too.....thats what good teams do.
  • We have sat too deep because we have not been good enough with the ball ( presumably ) to push out from defence and push the midfield forward.....Our defenders have basically been glorified stoppers......We have merely defended in NUMBERS and that has had a negative effect on our midfield and forwards
  • We need defenders of a higher calibre who can help the midfield dictate play and help close the gaps that the opposition want to exploit.....and we have to deny them that.
  • Players in the past like Macca, Southgate, Eghiogu, Jonssen, Laursen, Mellberg, were able to dominate their position and NOT just stop goals.The most natural tendency on a football field is to sit deep and defend and in order to move forward without creating gaping holes is reliant on good defenders who can play too.

No I think Steve Bruce is barking up the right tree.

Perfectly logical reasoning and I'm not averse to improving our defensive options with players comfortable with the ball and building from the back, I just think we have other more pressing issues. 

I also think ball-playing centre backs are less of an issue in the Championship though it'd obviously be preferable if we could get a couple, I'm just not sure Terry is the answer considering his age.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

I know it's a bit ridiculous but Iker Casillas is out of contract from Porto at the end of June, he's 36... which isn't too old for a 'keeper really, and we could give him a decent offer since there's not transfer fee. I doubt it, but you never know.

Valdez went to Boro, but that was after PL promotion.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I know it's a bit ridiculous but Iker Casillas is out of contract from Porto at the end of June, he's 36... which isn't too old for a 'keeper really, and we could give him a decent offer since there's not transfer fee. I doubt it, but you never know.

Valdez went to Boro, but that was after PL promotion.

He has 20 years on the clock to be fair. Last time I saw him he looked gone physically 

1 hour ago, Ginko said:

Perfectly logical reasoning and I'm not averse to improving our defensive options with players comfortable with the ball and building from the back, I just think we have other more pressing issues. 

I also think ball-playing centre backs are less of an issue in the Championship though it'd obviously be preferable if we could get a couple, I'm just not sure Terry is the answer considering his age.

Ginko, I agree that ball playing Centre halves are less of an issue in the championship......but I think we need ones that can do what i explained in my previous post.....just a bit better than what we have.

Johnny howson available from Norwich after turning down a new deal  - Leeds  been quoted £5m but could add drive and energy to our midfield 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

As a default position, I have never trusted anyone called Clive.

To this day it has stood me in good stead. 

Clive James, Lloyd, Anderson, Woodward and Dunn (posthumously) would no doubt suggest that is being a bit harsh on Clive's in general. ;)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Johnny howson available from Leeds after turning down a new deal  - Norwich been quoted £5m but could add drive and energy to our midfield 

He joined Norwich from Leeds about 3 or 4 seasons ago?

9 hours ago, KSV said:

This guy reliable? worked for the Echo or something previously.

BREAKING: Aston Villa set to announce a double signing tomorrow. Fantastic bit of business done by Bruce. #avfc

Anyone on twitter who says they 'work for' or 'used to work for' Forest Echo News is a BS merchant. It's basically kids on twitter using stolen photos of a man in a suit to try to get followers. I've seen some disgusting things posted from these 'Forest Echo' reporters before. Things like "Breaking: A man has been killed at Glastonbury" etc.

2 hours ago, Bunnski said:

He joined Norwich from Leeds about 3 or 4 seasons ago?

Yeh sorry mate got them wrong way round ;) Leeds want him back from Norwich .

Howson has impressed me with his energy when I've seen him , not a bad player.

Edited by Eastie

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Anyone on twitter who says they 'work for' or 'used to work for' Forest Echo News is a BS merchant. It's basically kids on twitter using stolen photos of a man in a suit to try to get followers. I've seen some disgusting things posted from these 'Forest Echo' reporters before. Things like "Breaking: A man has been killed at Glastonbury" etc.

This person also says we are trying to sign a young Brazilian striker from Gremio - but the fact he is not listed on their squad in the last threee seasons tends to reinforce the BS status

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

As ever, I remain totally confused by the motivation for people to just randomly make up absolute horseshit that will be proven incorrect in a matter of days at most. What do they get out of it?

They like to pretend that they are important. - the opium of the masses is the need to show that they know more than you.