Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

Was bored at work this morning. Was comparing Whelan's stats to Ledley. Whelan edges him just. But Ledley younger and free. No brainer. I wonder if Ledley and Terry will be our first signings on a free. We should raise 15 million with sales. I wonder if we have a marquee signing and which position

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KSV said:

Was bored at work this morning. Was comparing Whelan's stats to Ledley. Whelan edges him just. But Ledley younger and free. No brainer. I wonder if Ledley and Terry will be our first signings on a free. We should raise 15 million with sales. I wonder if we have a marquee signing and which position

Either this, or cover John Terrys wages , as well as others.

Smart work either way in my opinion.

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Either this, or cover John Terrys wages , as well as others.

Smart work either way in my opinion.

yeah i agree. Pretty Shrewd if it can be done. I am hoping for creative midfielder around 10 million. Although if we can get RMC fit and firing again.. i thought he made a huge difference under RDM.. playing behind the strikers.. we looked alot more dangerous. I just remember Bruce saying we want 3-4 players who will make a difference. Not just squad members. So i wonder what we have up our sleeves.. and in which position. 

I imagine we are not after a striker. Defence and midfield should be sorted. I am guessing a winger will be a priority. 

Edited by KSV
  • Like 1

If Villa are going to spend major money in this window I'd spend most of it on Tom Cairney at Fulham. Would add exactly what is needed to the Villa midfield. My only worry is how Bruce would use him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KSV said:

yeah i agree. Pretty Shrewd if it can be done. I am hoping for creative midfielder around 10 million. Although if we can get RMC fit and firing again.. i thought he made a huge difference under RDM.. playing behind the strikers.. we looked alot more dangerous. I just remember Bruce saying we want 3-4 players who will make a difference. Not just squad members. So i wonder what we have up our sleeves.. and in which position. 

I imagine we are not after a striker. Defence and midfield should be sorted. I am guessing a winger will be a priority. 

This worries me. It smacks of the January window, and look how badly wrong that went.

58 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Rumours that stoke have accepted a bid for £1m from Derby for whelan - guess if we want him we will have to make our move fast.

Wouldn't even want Whelan on a free so let Derby have him. Would much rather have Joe Ledley. Much better player imo.

• Like 2

Can't believe Joe Ledley is only 30, seems to have been around forever.

Always liked him as a player, someone who never had the pace or engine to get around the pitch, so engineered his game to be effective on the ball and in the right place at the right time. Decent.

Ledley is shit, then again Whelan is even worse. What would they offer that we aren't already getting from the Jedi?

We need to be looking after actual reinforcements, and preferably way under the age of 30.

23 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Ledley is shit, then again Whelan is even worse. What would they offer that we aren't already getting from the Jedi?

We need to be looking after actual reinforcements, and preferably way under the age of 30.

He is  not shit at all. What are you basing this on?

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He is  not shit at all. What are you basing this on?

His actual performances (for Palace), which I've seen plenty of during these last few years. I almost never focus on stats, so for all I know he has the best ball retention and passing stats in the world, but I highly doubt it from what I've seen. His 'style' remind me of Jedi, only he's worse IMHO.

Edited by vreitti

I like Ledley, as a Welshman I've watched him closely for most of his career.

What I will say though is this, he's not a goalscorer (or at least hasn't been), in fact he doesn't do much that will 'catch the eye' of your average viewer and he's always seemed to play better for Wales than he has his clubs.

You also do well to get anything more than 60 minutes out of him these days, seems to tire very quickly.

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

This worries me. It smacks of the January window, and look how badly wrong that went.

The signings we made in January, haven't gone wrong. I'm sure we'll see more from them this season. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vreitti said:

His actual performances (for Palace), which I've seen plenty of during these last few years. I almost never focus on stats, so for all I know he has the best ball retention and passing stats in the world, but I highly doubt it from what I've seen. His 'style' remind me of Jedi, only he's worse IMHO.

Joe Ledley

Stats

Position Midfielder

Premier League Record

Appearances83

Goals6

Assists 1

Appearances 83

Goals 6

Wins 30

Losses 36

Goals 6

Goals Per Match 0.07

Goals With Header 2

Goals With Right Foot 1

Goals With Left Foot 3

Penalties Scored 0

Goals From Freekick 0

Shots 34

Shots On Target 10

Shooting Accuracy %29%

Hit Woodwork0

Big Chances Missed2

Team Play

Assists1

Passes 2,358

Passes Per Match 28.41

Big Chances Created 2

Crosses 55

Cross Accuracy %18%

Through Balls 1

Accurate Long Balls 93

Discipline

Yellow Cards 3

Red Cards 0

Fouls4 0

Offsides 4

Defence

Tackles 144

Tackle Success %71%

Blocked Shots 6

Interceptions 156

Clearances 148

Headed Clearance 61

Recoveries 365

Duels Won 302

Duels Lost 277

Successful 50/50s 25

Aerial Battles Won 78

Aerial Battles Lost 114

Errors Leading To Goal 3

Thats his stats from here the bold he will certainly fit into bruces style then!

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Rumours that stoke have accepted a bid for £1m from Derby for whelan - guess if we want him we will have to make our move fast.

Hopefully we don't want him, he's a nothing player.

53 minutes ago, vreitti said:

While he isn't of the same quality of say Cairney (who i'd love to see at the Villa) Ledley is however imo a better passer of the ball than Jedinak. Because of that I would much rather Bruce sign Ledley than Whelan which was my original point. I'd prefer Cairney though if Xia was prepared to spend the mooted 15m-20m Fulham want or players plus cash deal.    

18 minutes ago, striker said:

While he isn't of the same quality of say Cairney (who i'd love to see at the Villa) Ledley is however imo a better passer of the ball than Jedinak. Because of that I would much rather Bruce sign Ledley than Whelan which was my original point. I'd prefer Cairney though if Xia was prepared to spend the mooted 15m-20m Fulham want or players plus cash deal.    

We should never pay this sort of money for a Championship player ever again, it's proven that spending those sorts of sums on players at this level simply isn't necessary. 

• Like 2