Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, striker said:

While he isn't of the same quality of say Cairney (who i'd love to see at the Villa) Ledley is however imo a better passer of the ball than Jedinak. Because of that I would much rather Bruce sign Ledley than Whelan which was my original point. I'd prefer Cairney though if Xia was prepared to spend the mooted 15m-20m Fulham want or players plus cash deal.    

£15m - £20m for tom cairney ? No thanks - Fulham will get no takers for anywhere near that price.

will Hughes has just left derby for £8m and that's the sort of valuation cairney is worth paying for.

Edited by Eastie

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

As ever, I remain totally confused by the motivation for people to just randomly make up absolute horseshit that will be proven incorrect in a matter of days at most. What do they get out of it?

It has never ceased to amaze me what folk will do for kicks......have to go late for my sky diving class.:)

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

The signings we made in January, haven't gone wrong. I'm sure we'll see more from them this season. 

I agree. I thought the signings were good - I was thinking more of how they were managed.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, KSV said:

Was bored at work this morning. Was comparing Whelan's stats to Ledley. Whelan edges him just. But Ledley younger and free. No brainer. I wonder if Ledley and Terry will be our first signings on a free. We should raise 15 million with sales. I wonder if we have a marquee signing and which position

In fairness to Whelan he edges him by quiet a margin.

I think he would be a decent signing to rotate with Jedi, neither of them are fit to play every game.

A lot of Stoke fans seemed opposed to selling him which speaks volumes

21 hours ago, John said:

Clive James, Lloyd, Anderson, Woodward and Dunn (posthumously) would no doubt suggest that is being a bit harsh on Clive's in general. ;)

I stand by my initial claims :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Is he the berk who deflected Gollini's clearance in to the goal at home to them for the 1-1 draw?

Just checked and he is that berk. Also, can't imagine we need another CB with terry.

Edited by alreadyexists

5 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

If we spend £15-20m on Tom Cairney I'm leaving my job, my family and the Villa behind and becoming a hermit in Southern Yemen.

God almighty your lifespan will be shorter than Unsworth's Villa career

Long shots but Nathaniel Chalobah & Rueben Loftus-Cheek are now further away from the Chel$ki 1st team with the signing of Bakayoko. Loftus-Cheek is obviously above us but surely we could show the ambition and bid for Chalobah ? 

I can't say I've ever really noticed Ledley perform so I'm not blown away with the suggestion.

I said it last year, but for me I only see Jedinak as a squad player at best. Yes individually he played well, and we got results with him there, but for me we actually played better stuff without him there. I'd really like an energetic holding midfielder to come in. This would allow Lansbury and Hourihane to play more advanced (please don't start criticising Bruce here it's not the thread).

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Long shots but Nathaniel Chalobah & Rueben Loftus-Cheek are now further away from the Chel$ki 1st team with the signing of Bakayoko. Loftus-Cheek is obviously above us but surely we could show the ambition and bid for Chalobah ? 

Chalobah played 24 times in 3 years, failed to do anything at any of his last 5 loan clubs, not really done anything since Watford 5 years ago, of course he still plays for England but that doesn't say anything anymore, I bet Chelsea still want north of £5m for him, doesn't merit it, loftus cheek should see the writing on the wall and get out (mceachran before chalobah) but he'd be well north of £10m and probably >£60k in wages

chelsea are ruining English football but no one says anything

• Like 2

If we sold Gil, Vertout & Gardener that's the potential fees for Loftus-Cheek/Chalobah covered. But realistically though can't see loftus-cheek's ego dropping down to play for Bruce.

Chalobah is a better shout than Whealan imo age is on his side to improve and complements Jedinak. 

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

If we sold Gil, Vertout & Gardener that's the potential fees for Loftus-Cheek/Chalobah covered.

I'm seeing this a lot, people often forget or don't realise that each season in the championship the parachute payments get significantly less. 

Getting rid of those 3 probably doesn't even cover the reduction in parachute payments from last season. If we don't go up this season then next season will be even less. Season after that if we are still in the championship then we probably wont even be able to pay any players over £25k/w. Which is why it's so important that we get out of this division ASAP 

• Like 4

Chalobah for me is too big a gamble, like a tish level gamble, he's got 5x as much potential but he'll also cost 5x as much

he'll be the next mceachran / Bamford, another on decent wages (£30k a week already at Chelsea) who isn't good enough and we can't shift

£5-10m transfer fee £40k+ in wages, not sure Gil, Gardner and veretout would raise that cash, they definitely won't buy enough for loftus cheek (I think he'd be £15m)