Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

Ourselves, Celtic and erm.. Man City are all chasing Oxford winger Marvin Johnson apparently according to a few rumours on the net.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3208545/marvin-johnson-manchester-city-leicester-oxford/

MANCHESTER CITY and Leicester are among clubs trailing Oxford’s flying full-back Marvin Johnson.

More than 30 scouts turned up to see late developer Johnson, 26, open the scoring in United’s 5-1 win over Bury on Tuesday.

And a clutch of Midlands sides are also keeping tabs on the Brummie, with West Brom, Aston Villa, Derby and Birmingham all having watched the former non-league man.

League One Oxford, who paid Motherwell £650,000 for Englishman Johnson last August, knocked back a seven-figure offer for Johnson in the January window, and stand to make a handsome profit if they decide to sell next summer.

Motherwell will also be looking on eagerly.

They will get a big cut of any sell-on profit – and they signed Johnson from non-league Kidderminster for just £40,000.

Oxford face Coventry this Sunday in the EFL Trophy final, with scouts again likely to be in the stands for the Wembley clash.

But Johnson seems unfazed by talk of a Premier League move.

He recently said: “For people to be talking about you then you must be doing something right.

“It’s just rumours and you have to get on with your football.

“You just have to keep your head down and keep doing what you’re doing. The more you see it, the more it should push you on.”

Johnson came through the ranks at Solihull Moors before a stint at Sutton Coldfield-based outfit Romulus saw him picked up by Kiddy.

Edited by Villan4Life

On 30/03/2017 at 08:52, Mjvilla said:

I think someone else touched upon it that wyness is probably trying to play down our spending this summer so we don't get overpriced rubbish. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 4/5 come in with lots of departures. Either way, I don't see us signing anyone without it being a big improvement on what we already have.

I hope not.  Another window of major upheaval would be a disaster.  Stability is key ahead of next season with maybe 2 or 3 additions at most and none of current the first team leaving.  I don't want any of our loan players back either.  We've plenty in midfield without them, maybe just the exception of an additional winger to supplement green, kodje and hendrie.

• Like 2

We at the very least need to sign a keeper, a younger Jedinak, a Gabby replacement, and an Amavi replacement - in an ideal world. I also wouldn't mind a Bacuna upgrade. Think we will deffo see at least 5 in, and it needn't disrupt the squad at all. 

16 minutes ago, Jareth said:

We at the very least need to sign a keeper, a younger Jedinak, a Gabby replacement, and an Amavi replacement - in an ideal world. I also wouldn't mind a Bacuna upgrade.

... it needn't disrupt the squad at all. 

yes agreed, keep the main first team squad, and just those as above. 

If we keep Sam Johnstone, then maybe not even a keeper.

Any purchases in the summer should be in the view of also being able to perform in the premier league. Otherwise we will have too many we need to replace the season after.

In other words quality not quantity! Realistically the only players we have that I would consider prem quality are Kodjia, Chester and Taylor. Possibly Hogan too, but we haven't seen enough of him yet. When you consider Taylor, Chester, Jedinak, Adomah and Lansbury have all been deemed surplus to requirements in the premier league, it just shows the difference in quality between the 2 divisions.

This is why any signings in the summer need to be top quality, otherwise too many positions will need upgrading again the following summer. I hope we don't make any more loan signings though, it would be better/easier to buy promising young players and give them the experience to be better the following year.

• Like 2

IMO Scott Hogan is Premier League quality.  The fact West Ham were willing to go up to £12m for him adds credibility to that.  I know we won't know for sure until we see him up there, but strictly speaking, the same could be said of Kodjia.  Although his own Ivory Coast exploits give us a clue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

When you consider Taylor, Chester, Jedinak, Adomah and Lansbury have all been deemed surplus to requirements in the premier league, it just shows the difference in quality between the 2 divisions.

That doesn't really mean anything. Chester performed well in the PL for Hull, it was Pulis who bombed him out. Adomah got binned for a player who has 0 goals and 0 assists this season. Lansbury hasn't been given a chance at PL level. Jedi's legs might not be able to stand up at PL level any more, Taylor probably isn't of the required standard IMO. 

Who really knows with Hourihane, Kodjia, Green and the like. I look at a squad like Bournemouth's or Burnley's and think yeah, maybe more of our lot could step up than we currently believe. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Ourselves, Celtic and erm.. Man City are all chasing Oxford winger Marvin Johnson apparently according to a few rumours on the net.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3208545/marvin-johnson-manchester-city-leicester-oxford/

I asked him in person about joining us in the summer and got the generic response of..... focusing on now doing my best for the rest of the season then we will see what happens. Very good player! 

I think quality not quantity is definitely what we need (as others have said). 

If we can pick up 3-4 really quality players to make next season more doable but also look to build for the PL we will be doing very well. Only draw back is that we'll likely have to offer pretty big packages to get players to drop a division, so we'll just have to bear that in mind when we see contract speculation.

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Adomah got binned for a player who has 0 goals and 0 assists this season.

Don't think it really matters who they replaced him with.  The fact that he was there for a while and played a part in their promotion season but they still didn't think he was good enough speaks volumes.  

Don't want to sound too harsh but he's had some very poor games for us and has benefitted from being the only out and out senior winger at the club. 

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That doesn't really mean anything. Chester performed well in the PL for Hull, it was Pulis who bombed him out. Lansbury hasn't been given a chance at PL level. 

Who really knows with Hourihane, Kodjia, Green and the like. I look at a squad like Bournemouth's or Burnley's and think yeah, maybe more of our lot could step up than we currently believe. 

I did say in the paragraph previous to the one you quoted that I think Chester is a premier league quality player. Does seem odd that no premier league teams went in for him, their loss our gain. 

Yeah it was tough for Lansbury to break through at Arsenal with the quality they had at the time,  but still, no premier league team came in for him when he left. 

I really hope the others you mentioned grow with us next season into premier league quality players,  but I was making my list more in mind about where they are currently at. I'd add Grealish to that list too. Hope he really gets his finger out, he could definitely be premier league quality with the right attitude and coaching. 

Jackson Irvine is one I'd look at.

Watched him play for Australia in the week, scored and was pretty impressive.

He's had a pretty good season for Burton aswell, think he's got close to double figures from midfield.

Pretty tall and good in the air so if people are looking at a Jedinak long term replacement I'd say his compatriot would be a good choice.

He's played for Ross County and Burton so hopefully we've learnt our lessons and wouldn't be slinging him a 40kpw deal aswell, would imagine he's on 5k max at Burton.

3 hours ago, striker said:

If that tweet is correct then there is massive pressure on Bruce to get his squad right this summer with the right signings.

The foundations are (finally) in place. A couple of shrewd additions will do it.

This of course on the basis that we don't lose any key players in the summer.

Edit: except goalkeeper. For the love of god sign a competent goalkeeper please.

Edited by Phumfeinz

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Jackson Irvine is one I'd look at.

Watched him play for Australia in the week, scored and was pretty impressive.

He's had a pretty good season for Burton aswell, think he's got close to double figures from midfield.

Pretty tall and good in the air so if people are looking at a Jedinak long term replacement I'd say his compatriot would be a good choice.

He's played for Ross County and Burton so hopefully we've learnt our lessons and wouldn't be slinging him a 40kpw deal aswell, would imagine he's on 5k max at Burton.

I definitely agree he's good enough (he's been Burton's best player) to be a squad signing. But isn't he more attacking than Jedinak? 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I definitely agree he's good enough (he's been Burton's best player) to be a squad signing. But isn't he more attacking than Jedinak? 

Yeah he probably is and would be more competition for Henri and Hourihane.

I would like and expect us to dominate more games next season particularly at home next season so I wouldn't say we need a dedicated DM to play every single game, just aways and the important home games so Jedinak need not start every week.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah he probably is and would be more competition for Henri and Hourihane.

I would like and expect us to dominate more games next season particularly at home next season so I wouldn't say we need a dedicated DM to play every single game, just aways and the important home games so Jedinak need not start every week.

I do agree, but I do think we should have a backup in case Jedinak gets injured. Gardner just doesn't cut it I'm afraid. 

DM CB GK should be the priorities

I think were ok out wide we can play Grealish Adomah Green Kodija there

We need a DM who is better than Gardner and can challenge Jedinak for a starting place.

Edited by AshVilla

I imagine we'll see quite a few through the exit door this summer and reckon Bruce is already noting who can move on to free up spots for new players. 

I expect the following to be moved on:

Richards - waste of wages, hardly featured

Elphick - not in Bruce's plans if Jedi picked ahead of him

McCormack - can't hit a barn door or climb over a garden gate

Bunn - out of contract and not good enough

Gardner - simply not good enough even at this level

Tshibola - possibly as don't think Bruce rates him

Kozak - injury ridden and can't be relied upon fitness wise

Gil - doesn't want to return

Veretout - as per gil

Sanchez - as per gil

Amavi - don't think he'd want to stay in the championship another year

I think we now have the nucleus of a good squad but central midfield is still light on numbers and a DM and a CM coming in would be needed, along with another CB, another striker, a right winger and a GK or two. 

• Like 1