Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

5 minutes ago, Mr.Messy said:

What is stopping Recon paying say £4m just for that one off exposure. Thus effectively allowing AV to break even on the Terry deal.

I assume nothing as I get the feeling no club has ever done it before. Could be a very interesting way to break even on every purchase we make. The books would certainly look interesting.. "So you spent £10 million and received £10 million from 'Recon' on the same day" I guess as long as it's not breaking any rules it's a creative enough way around FFP I suppose..

The only think with elmo is what kind of deal we going to be offering? i wouldn't want to see him sign longer than 2 years, as if we go up he will certainly not be good enough at premier league level. Also I dont see why we are signing him and whelan, we surely only need one? 

2 minutes ago, Daweii said:

it's a creative enough way around FFP I suppose..

There are plenty of way's to get around FFP. If you own a football club and want to invest into it then you can, FFP won't be able to stop you. Eithad's sponsorship of Man City is a good example of one simple way you can circumvent FFP by overpaying for sponsorship deals.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The only think with elmo is what kind of deal we going to be offering? i wouldn't want to see him sign longer than 2 years, as if we go up he will certainly not be good enough at premier league level. Also I dont see why we are signing him and whelan, we surely only need one? 

Whelan and Elmo are completely different players to satisfy 2 different problems

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't understand why people are getting upset over this?

I'm assuming he's being brought in as cheap cover for a position we're not massively blessed in (winger) and he's comfortable enough in other positions to be a bit of a utility player.
He also may help that adoption of 3-5-2, if that's in Bruce's plans, as he's played in that system before too.

Add to that he's a player that the manager has worked with a lot in the past, and has done very well at this level, so Bruce probably has a lot of faith in him.

I honestly don't see the big issue. I'm not exactly jumping up and down with excitement but I don't see the problem.

Very good post, not that I am overly excited if Elmohamady signs, but would really like us to start playing 3-5-2, with JT, Baker and Chester as our defenders and Bree and Taylor  as wing backs....Elmohamady could be very good back up.  However, think we need to shift at least one of Hutton/De laet and Micah Richards.

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

If Elmohamady is coming in as a utility player is that an indication that Bacuna is heading out, or just more cover? I thought that with relatively low numbers coming in we were only going to buy players that were better than we already had. I confess to not really knowing the player, but he doesn't seem to be getting rave reviews. 

Yes. I would have thought we would be looking at upgrades rather than cover. And what about our much-vaunted youth system? Is there any point in having one if we are not producing players decent enough for cover at this level.

5 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Yes. I would have thought we would be looking at upgrades rather than cover. And what about our much-vaunted youth system? Is there any point in having one if we are not producing players decent enough for cover at this level.

The problem with promoting youth is it's a gamble, and this season we can't afford a gamble not to pay off...

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm assuming he's being brought in as cheap cover for a position we're not massively blessed in (winger) and he's comfortable enough in other positions to be a bit of a utility player.
He also may help that adoption of 3-5-2, if that's in Bruce's plans, as he's played in that system before too.

Add to that he's a player that the manager has worked with a lot in the past, and has done very well at this level, so Bruce probably has a lot of faith in him.

I honestly don't see the big issue. I'm not exactly jumping up and down with excitement but I don't see the problem.

It is my biggest fear for this season that we are looking at 3-5-2.  I think I saw the large majority of games last season when we were giving it a go and they were all awful.  Fulham away is the one that sticks out the furthest in my mind, even before we got a man sent off you could see that we were getting ripped to shreds at the back.  I know we will have had a summer to practice and a few new players will come in that will possibly have more experience with 3-5-2, but the improvement will need to be spectacular.

Just now, Straggler said:

It is my biggest fear for this season that we are looking at 3-5-2.  I think I saw the large majority of games last season when we were giving it a go and they were all awful.  Fulham away is the one that sticks out the furthest in my mind, even before we got a man sent off you could see that we were getting ripped to shreds at the back.  I know we will have had a summer to practice and a few new players will come in that will possibly have more experience with 3-5-2, but the improvement will need to be spectacular.

You don't sign Terry and play 3-5-2 in my opinion. I'd be worried if we did.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Whelan and Elmo are completely different players to satisfy 2 different problems

i thought elmo was a cm and can play rb?

rb we have him hutton bree, bacuna and RDL

midfield we would have him, whelan, jedinak, lansbury, gardner, tish, thor hourinane and bacuna  

I want us to go for 3-5-2 simply because I want us to play some decent football, so flood the middle of the park a little more with bodies.  With Jedi or Whelan sitting in front of the 3 -hoping that is sufficient enough as cover.  Think we have a good defense, our middle is what is slightly concerning.  Wouldn't expect us to play 3-5-2 in all games, maybe against the shitter teams.

Really want us to destroy teams this year and get goal tally up...one can wish

Edited by supermon

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Spot on! I think some fans forget we just finished 13th in the Championship and are signing a player with vast experience of getting promoted. It's not our marquee signing, it's just a sensible squad signing.   

• Like 1

We need to be comfortable in various formations depending on circumstances - I'd prefer a back four in most games as with JT in defence I don't see the need for 3 at the back - also far from convinced we have the wing backs to suit it - we are developing a very strong squad which on paper is surely the best squad in this league - Bruce clearly sees Elmo as a useful addition and that's good enough for me .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

i thought elmo was a cm and can play rb?

rb we have him hutton bree, bacuna and RDL

midfield we would have him, whelan, jedinak, lansbury, gardner, tish, thor hourinane and bacuna  

He is an attacking fb. I don't think he has every played cm. 

Plus I'm pretty sure 2 out of the 4 players you mentioned there will be sold.

17 minutes ago, Straggler said:

I'd be tempted to agree with you to be honest.

But if it's being considered, even as just a different option, it helps to have people who are used to it in the squad.

3 hours ago, villarocker said:

Does anyone know what the Recon back-of-the-shirt sponsorship brings to the club in terms of revenue? Maybe Dr Tony has thought things through and found himself a nice little loophole to plough some extra cash into the club! 

Was a one off for the terry signing - not on shirts permanently 339d9bec94b5.jpg

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

You don't sign Terry and play 3-5-2 in my opinion. I'd be worried if we did.

Yeah you'd want the other two to be very quick if that was the case. Baker isn't exactly slow but Chester isn't exactly pacey either.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He is an attacking fb. I don't think he has every played cm. 

Plus I'm pretty sure 2 out of the 4 players you mentioned there will be sold.

Thats the thing though, lets say we don't? Think we need to get rid of a couple of them before we sign more. Also I didnt even add Veretout! The squads huge