17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

I can understand some have concerns but being worried about Sheffield United and Bolton? Really?!

if anything blose or forest going down is two less derbies so that means higher percentage if getting points.

In the thread Limpid has made about next season position, I have voted for a finish in the playoffs. That prediction is ridiculous, given our sheer lack of consistency, game plan and cohesion under Bruce. However, it is a vote from the heart not the head as I want to think we will pull it together somehow. I said "want to think" but there are definite alarm bells continually ringing about us. 

As crap as we have been, we don't belong in this division, it is a matter of time before we make it back up, even if Bruce doesn't see out next season at the helm. We have spent so much money, an embarrassing amount really for the Championship and will most likely spend again in the summer but despite the alarm bells I'll be behind Bruce with my fingers crossed that next season we hit the ground running from the off and as best as possible boss the division. We won't win it, there are much more capable teams in the Championship and the might of the relegated premier league teams to contend with, but my heart is winning over my head. Even though my head totally agrees with many anti Bruce / up the creek posts I read. 

Delusion maybe. To think of us being a force in this division we are so far from that, what Brighton and Newcastle have done. If it gets even worse under Bruce Tony is bound to chop n change just like he did with RDM, his investment and pride is at stake regardless of our wants. Who knows who we could even tempt to come here , that could boost us up to the top or near the top. So many variables so many ifs and buts, all from a starting point of utter sh--. But, stupidly, I believe... that Bruce can pull it together next season. I'm likely misguided but my glass is half full, even though the other half was knocked over my shoes by Bruce this season. The worst that can happen is I end up massively disappointed and frustrated, well no change there then supporting our lot is there. 

Fed up, staying optimistic just as sick of there always being something wrong with us and this , almost a curse on us. Has to lift sometime. Ah well. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I can understand some have concerns but being worried about Sheffield United and Bolton? Really?!

if anything blose or forest going down is two less derbies so that means higher percentage if getting points.

What, so you would be genuinly surprised if we didnt take 6 points off those two teams next season (Sheff u and Bolton)?

All i was saying is that its unfortunate that it looks like 2 or 3 quite sizeable clubs are coming up, as we generally do better against the weaker, smaller clubs and 2 of the weakest are going down.

The three weakest clubs stature wise this season are arguably Rotherham, Wigan and Burton. I think we are unbeaten against that bunch winning 5 out of 6? 

We would in my opinion have fared better next season going to somewhere small like Fleetwood (not sure of their ground) than to Brammall Lane.

18 minutes ago, turvontour said:

What, so you would be genuinly surprised if we didnt take 6 points off those two teams next season (Sheff u and Bolton)?

All i was saying is that its unfortunate that it looks like 2 or 3 quite sizeable clubs are coming up, as we generally do better against the weaker, smaller clubs and 2 of the weakest are going down.

The three weakest clubs stature wise this season are arguably Rotherham, Wigan and Burton. I think we are unbeaten against that bunch winning 5 out of 6? 

We would in my opinion have fared better next season going to somewhere small like Fleetwood (not sure of their ground) than to Brammall Lane.

I am not too concerned about those side, if anything Sheffield United coming up benefits us as more derbies for our okay off rival Wednesday, Leeds Huddersfield (should they all still be here)

for midland derbies that's gonna decide how we do. We have not done great thus season in derbies. 

But the number one key issue is the away firm. If this doesn't improve we have absolutely no chance of going up. Bruce gas sorted the home form but the way firm and being on sky us the main issues

• Like 1

It's far too early to say. We don't even know the full make up of the division yet.

Let's see who else we sign (although that doesn't seem to do us much good these days).

Also see who else promotion contenders sign. Last summer as soon as I saw Newcastle signing Ritchie and Gayle I thought there was no chance of us finishing above them as they were so much better than what we started the season with and so it proved.

I was told not to worry about Gayle going to Newcastle as we have Gestede....That one worked out well. So depends on who the likes of Derby and Wednesday if they stay down sign.

I'd be amazed though if we're not in the mix for top 6 at least as I think the standard of the championship will be much weaker than this year.

59 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's far too early to say. We don't even know the full make up of the division yet.

Let's see who else we sign (although that doesn't seem to do us much good these days).

Also see who else promotion contenders sign. Last summer as soon as I saw Newcastle signing Ritchie and Gayle I thought there was no chance of us finishing above them as they were so much better than what we started the season with and so it proved.

I was told not to worry about Gayle going to Newcastle as we have Gestede....That one worked out well. So depends on who the likes of Derby and Wednesday if they stay down sign.

I'd be amazed though if we're not in the mix for top 6 at least as I think the standard of the championship will be much weaker than this year.

I wouldn't be shocked if we are mid table again. I think we are in a dreadful state at the moment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KHV said:

I wouldn't be shocked if we are mid table again. I think we are in a dreadful state at the moment.

If we are mid table next season then that would mean 2 more failed managers as I'm sure Bruce will be gone should we get off to a bad start and if we finish mid table his replacement would have also flopped.

That said I think we are more likely to go up than finish below 8th .

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

If we are mid table next season then that would mean 2 more failed managers as I'm sure Bruce will be gone should we get off to a bad start and if we finish mid table his replacement would have also flopped.

That said I think we are more likely to go up than finish below 8th .

If he continues playing Bacuna wide right and Lansbury wide left with Gardner in the middle it won't be long before he is on his bike!

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I am not too concerned about those side, if anything Sheffield United coming up benefits us as more derbies for our okay off rival Wednesday, Leeds Huddersfield (should they all still be here)

for midland derbies that's gonna decide how we do. We have not done great thus season in derbies. 

But the number one key issue is the away firm. If this doesn't improve we have absolutely no chance of going up. Bruce gas sorted the home form but the way firm and being on sky us the main issues

Oh ye, i completely agree on the away form; its pivotal. 

I see no reason why we cant win 13-15 home games next season. But we need 10 away games minimum to be competitive.

4 away wins again and its another mid table finish at best.

We've won an away game once every four months for the last two years. We need that trend to buck big time.

• 2 weeks later...

How do people rate the three relegated teams coming down then?

I've said before but I can honestly see Sunderland battling the drop to league 1. Look at the trouble we had this season and we have a takeover in the summer and a million signings....if things stay as they are I can't see them being in a promotion mix at all.

Hull will be mid table. Silva won't stay on and they've got many players on loan who I doubt they'll sign permanently. Their fans hate the ownership aswell so that will destabilise things further.

Boro will be the best of the lot I imagine. Will keep most of the squad together and probably attract a decent manager as Gibson is a good owner to work for. Can't see them being anywhere near the level of Newcastle this season though.

No excuses for top 6 then, we have to be in the mix for that as a bare minimum. This is the weakest trio to be relegated from the prem since 2010 imo. 

• Like 1

None of the teams coming down will concern me. They'll all be like us this year or worse.

Depending on who goes up, will be the main competitors next year. Can Huddersfield do that again? Reading were poor twice against us, so again may just be a flash on the pan. 

Then you have the teams just ahead of us Derby, Leeds who will look to challenge 

33 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

None of the teams coming down will concern me. They'll all be like us this year or worse.

Depending on who goes up, will be the main competitors next year. Can Huddersfield do that again? Reading were poor twice against us, so again may just be a flash on the pan. 

Then you have the teams just ahead of us Derby, Leeds who will look to challenge 

may I remind you that the 2 teams that are "just ahead of us" are

Cardiff 

Preston North End

the mighty Brentford as well as Rowetts new SHA, the managerless Norwich and the soon to be Managerless Leeds

Edited by Grasshopper

Can't see us being anywhere near the top 6, especially now given the potential budget constraints.

All just my opinion of course, but I have zero confidence that Bruce can get the performances out of this expensively assembled squad that would propel us out of the division.

11 minutes ago, jim said:

Can't see us being anywhere near the top 6, especially now given the potential budget constraints.

All just my opinion of course, but I have zero confidence that Bruce can get the performances out of this expensively assembled squad that would propel us out of the division.

Far to early to say this for me. There are free transfers to be had, players contracts running down (so good deals available), players from lesser clubs who will sell at low fees (low for us but high for them). Constraints will force us to sell off deadwood/loanees and that is a good thing. I don't think an open chequebook policy is too clever anyway. 

We have a pretty decent defence, it's going forward and in the middle that needs the work. But even in that area of the pitch we have some good players still settling in. Also, we don't know what everyone elses team is for next season yet. We're talking about the teams ahead of us and teams coming down but there is bound to be a surprise team too. So it is far to early to say we won't be near the top 6 (IMO) - I think we are probably just a few players away (of the Chester level) from being a challenger. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jim said:

What if we sack him 5 games in, there's still over 40 games left.

I think it's a bit odd to thank SB is going to be a major handicap for challenging for promotion when if it's a slow start he won't be presided over much more of the season. 

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Nothings says 'promotion charge' better than contemplating sacking your manager 5 games into the season. 

Well it worked for Watford that one season, didn't they go through about 4 managers and still somehow manage to get promoted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watford_F.C.

This lack of form ultimately led to Gianfranco Zola's departure from the club. In December 2013, Watford appointed Beppe Sannino as their new manager and finished the 2013–14 season in 13th place.

Despite winning four of the first five league games of the 2014–15 season, Sannino's future at Watford was subject to much speculation after it emerged some players were unhappy with his management style. Sannino resigned from his position as Watford manager on 31 August 2014 with the club second in the table, despite winning 4–2 at home to Huddersfield Town the previous day.[63]

Two days later, on 2 September 2014, Watford confirmed the appointment of former Brighton & Hove Albion head coach Óscar García as the club's new manager and the successor to Sannino, beating off competition from fellow Championship side Leeds United for his services. García, however, resigned from his position as Watford manager on 29 September 2014 for health reasons, having been admitted to hospital with chest pains after the game against Charlton Athletic. Billy McKinlay, who had only been appointed first team coach on 26 September 2014, was appointed as his immediate successor on the same day – his first position in management after spells as a coach with Fulham, and as assistant manager with Northern Ireland.[64] However, on 7 October 2014, McKinlay was replaced as Watford head coach by ex-Chelsea defensive-midfielder Slaviša Jokanović. On 25 April 2015, Watford gained promotion to the Premier League after defeating Brighton 2–0 and other results going their way.[65] Unfortunately for the Hornets, however, they failed to win their final game of the season against Sheffield Wednesday, thus gifting the Championship title to AFC Bournemouth in a dramatic season finale.

Finishing 13th the season before promotion interests me greatly. 

Edited by VillaChris