17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I would fancy our chances against them at villa park with our current form. They wont be able to bully us as they did earlier in the season with the likes of big kodj amd davis

I still wouldn't fancy us against Cardiff if their front three play as well as they did in the away game. I said at the time that they looked very good, but most people chose to interpret that game as just 'Hutton is rubbish' (even when it was Chester getting turned inside out).

14 hours ago, av1 said:

I read or heard something the other day (so can't confirm), that since taking over at Cardiff Warnock has spent £3m

If true, to have them looking as strong as they currently do suggests to me that he is a better manager than some give him credit for. 

I have always maintained that......Underrated.

He has parts of his job that are questionable, like could he manage the top players, but for the standard of football he has always found himself in......very rounded manager in my opinion.

He is not a big enough name to get some excited, but very functionable.

1 hour ago, poitier said:

I still wouldn't fancy us against Cardiff if their front three play as well as they did in the away game. I said at the time that they looked very good, but most people chose to interpret that game as just 'Hutton is rubbish' (even when it was Chester getting turned inside out).

The reason was because we lost the midfield battle and didn't have much of a Physical presence in that game. We also created very little and had no width. I think we won't have that problem then

also Hutton was diabolical that game. Elmo would do a lot better than Hutton did. It's no surprise to me we have been more solid on the right side since huttons been out of the side

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The reason was because we lost the midfield battle and didn't have much of a Physical presence in that game. We also created very little and had no width. I think we won't have that problem then

also Hutton was diabolical that game. Elmo would do a lot better than Hutton did. It's no surprise to me we have been more solid on the right side since huttons been out of the side

I don't particularly agree with that, but my point was that they aren't top just because we were poor against them.

29 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

So, our next five games:

Wolves (a)

Fulham (H)

Birmingham (a)

Preston (a)

Sheff Wed (H)

What is a realistic target from these games? I think I'd be happy with nine points.

I'm glad if you wanted to get promoted you need to do runs against teams like this

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That Wolves game is massive!

Hopefully the International break will give the likes of Snodgrass to get even more up to speed, and have them gelling.

OR

We could get injuries and have momentum destroyed.

Is he not in the Scotland squad?

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

I just hope we turn up. We were pitiful at molineux last season.

Can see SB playing for a point now. In fairness it wouldn't be the worst away point in the world but I agree it would be a statement to go away to a promotion rival and win there.

1 hour ago, KJT123 said:

So, our next five games:

Wolves (a)

Fulham (H)

Birmingham (a)

Preston (a)

Sheff Wed (H)

What is a realistic target from these games? I think I'd be happy with nine points.

11pts from those games. We are Aston Villa  Wolves 1pt, Fulham 3pts, SHA 3pts, Preston 1pt, Sheff WED 3pts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJT123 said:

So, our next five games:

Wolves (a)

Fulham (H)

Birmingham (a)

Preston (a)

Sheff Wed (H)

I think 9 is not a catastrophe, though obviously it would be better not to lose to Wolves in particular (or Blues, but for different reasons). Unless my memory is failing me, we got 7 points from the same fixtures last season so we really should be aiming for at least 9. It's a difficult month compared to this one, but even in a poor-to-average season, we did okay in these games. 

1 hour ago, KJT123 said:

So, our next five games:

Wolves (a)

Fulham (H)

Birmingham (a)

Preston (a)

Sheff Wed (H)

If we want automatic promotion, 9 points has to be the absolute minimum.

We are still playing a massive catch-up from the shambles at the start of the season.

We also must not lose in the Wolves game and be 7 point behind them.

Its taken 4 wins in a row to narrow the gap to second by 2 points, if we fall further behind it could take till the new year to catch second.

I'd take 3 wins which included beating Wolves, even if it meant losing to Birmingham :o

• Like 1