17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

All i saw last week was fans begging for Blues tickets but 3 days later we go to Preston I wonder how many want to go there. Fir me it's the bigger game. Anything can happen in a derby but we've got 4 tough games coming up. Last month we'd never won a game I didn't think we should. This month we've got games we need to get something out if we are to challenge. Wolves and Preston are as tough away as you get. Fulham at home is the same. Blues who knows what will happen. If we average 2 pts a game from that lot we will be right in it. I'd be happy with 6 if we remain undefeated. 

The stats-based Sky Sports Predictor is tipping Leeds for Championship glory and for Aston Villa to finish 17th.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/11076315/sky-sports-championship-predictor-where-are-leeds-aston-villa-and-others-tipped-to-finish-this-season

Sky and BBC really don't like us do they? We don't care! B)

5 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

If you look closer at their stats:

for us finishing the 1st: 1%;  top 2: 3%; top 6: 12%. 

which means:  

we win the league: 1%

finishing 2nd: 2%

finishing 3/4/5/6: 9% in total.

Surely the chances should go higher in a non-linear fashion for lower places? Finishing the 2nd 2% and finishing 3-6 only 9% (average speaking, 2.25% for each position between 3-6)? So basically the prediction says that the odds of us finishing 1/2/3/4/5/6 position are almost the same..... One would expect the probability of our final position on the league table to be close to Gaussian distribution (maybe an asymmetrical one), but not this type of shit.

This makes no sense at all.

You may sound like a nerd but you make a good point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barney_avfc said:

The stats-based Sky Sports Predictor is tipping Leeds for Championship glory and for Aston Villa to finish 17th.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/11076315/sky-sports-championship-predictor-where-are-leeds-aston-villa-and-others-tipped-to-finish-this-season

Strange how Skybet has us at a 54.5% chance of making the top 6. Not even they listen to this drivel. Its probably for the best as if they offered me 7/1 for villa to finish in the top 6 I'd have no choice but to place my life savings on it for Villa to let me down.

12 hours ago, Barney_avfc said:

We will be a bit of an anomaly with the program they use for this IMO.

It will work better for teams who have been at this level for a few seasons, and for those who would have a regular spending pattern.

On 11/10/2017 at 21:35, Deisler123 said:

One would expect the probability of our final position on the league table to be close to Gaussian distribution

Don't know when we signed him but I hear he's a good passer.

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2017 at 21:35, Deisler123 said:

If you look closer at their stats:

for us finishing the 1st: 1%;  top 2: 3%; top 6: 12%. 

which means:  

we win the league: 1%

finishing 2nd: 2%

finishing 3/4/5/6: 9% in total.

Surely the chances should go higher in a non-linear fashion for lower places? Finishing the 2nd 2% and finishing 3-6 only 9% (average speaking, 2.25% for each position between 3-6)? So basically the prediction says that the odds of us finishing 1/2/3/4/5/6 position are almost the same..... One would expect the probability of our final position on the league table to be close to Gaussian distribution (maybe an asymmetrical one), but not this type of shit.

This makes no sense at all.

I have little idea what you mean so gave you a trophy for talking complicated shit to me :clap:

We have to beat Wolves if we want to show what we are made of. Small Heathens did us a favour last night. Beat Wolves and we can really gain some ground. 

My only concern is that Bruce will be more mindful of what their attackers can do than  what ours can do, if unleashed!

I'm not sure Blues have done us a favour. Today would've been must win if Cardiff where further away now with them losing and Bristol drawing as long as we don't lose it'll all bunch up anyway. Will that affect Bruces team today? I hope not. 

Great results last night. It is true that other results don't matter and it is all about what we are doing - BUT - as others have said, a win puts us 2 points off the summit, we haven't been close to the top of anything in decades. Would be a huge psychological boost and could make us a team of believers finally.