17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

A good win today would really stamp our authority on the top of the table. An opportunity we should be able to take, given our present form.

Too true.

We need a win today which would be a massive win.

Defeat shouldn't even be contemplated given our recent run and the gap of the league positions.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think the absolute sholacking we gave them was even bigger. I said at the time to lose in the manner they did might finish their season.

If you make a few individual errors and lose heavily that's one thing, to be humiliated by a rival 5-0 when you've not played all that badly is another. An experienced team might have enough about them to recover quickly, Bristol however look like the legs have gone from under them. 

There's still time for them to turn it around of course, but they better do it quick. 

I think you make some good points Dave.

I also could not help thinking watching the game that their tactics to get back in was amateurish.

Watching them during that game ,reminded just what all out attacking teams do, sure they dominate the ball, (when they have it)....but there is also a case for playing it ugly at times and I think the teams that can mix it up like us, will be the victors.

7 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

A good win today would really stamp our authority on the top of the table. An opportunity we should be able to take, given our present form.

We say that after every game now.....you tinker.

but you're right.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

A good friend is a Sunderland supporter. He thinks parachute payments were used to claw back the owner's outlay. He tells me minimum money has been spent on the team for years, and thinks FFP is just a convenient excuse.

A shame about Sam - my friend was gutted when he left. He felt, as you say, that he would have stabilised them.

Sad state of affairs. Sounds like they are in big trouble. Why the hell did Coleman take the job!?

Disappointing day, we won but all of our rivals were more convincing than us. Hopefully we were complacent as it was Burton. Although it seems Fulham benefited from poor goalkeeping and finishing, and Derby benefited from a brainless red card from a Brentford player.

I think people are discounting Cardiff a bit, I think they had their run of bad form and will be back in it now.

The only positives have been Bristol City losing last night, and Boro losing, although I don't see them as challengers any more. 

As you were then.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if we're still 2-3 points off 2nd at end of February.

March is when I expect us to motor as we play QPR, Sunderland, Bolton and Hull as 4 of our 5 games.

Derby and Cardiff play each other in that month aswell. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Disappointing day, we won but all of our rivals were more convincing than us. Hopefully we were complacent as it was Burton. Although it seems Fulham benefited from poor goalkeeping and finishing, and Derby benefited from a brainless red card from a Brentford player.

I think people are discounting Cardiff a bit, I think they had their run of bad form and will be back in it now.

The only positives have been Bristol City losing last night, and Boro losing, although I don't see them as challengers any more. 

In many ways it was a great day. We won our 6th match in a row so in the real world maintain our promotion push. Meanwhile in the virtual reality of VT, there is plenty to moan about because we conceded a couple.

Sio everyone, real and virtual. Is happy :)

• Like 1