Chris Samba

midian

18 hours ago, Farlz said:

We really have hit rock bottom if we're thinking of signing Christopher Samba.

I'll bet he choreographers the goal celebrations well.:)

Edited by TRO

I was quite amused when I heard this! When he played for Blackburn he was one of the defenders I most of all wanted us to sign. Then a couple of years later when he went on loan to QPR from some Russian club in January I was irritated that we weren't in for him. Although the first games he was horrible, and himself admitted he had lost his fitness and wasn't up to the tempo of the PL after having played in Russia, he made several faults that contributed to QPR being relegated, though he did play quite well towards the end of the season if I remember correctly.

I have no idea what shape he is in now, but if he has been released it must be bad :-) at 32 he should be able to still contribute though if he gets himself fit. Even if he is slow, he is still a decent defender and wins everything in the air. The last years the problem hasn't been that our defenders have been too slow (except Lescot), it's been that they have simply not been good enough. Doesn't matter if they are quick if the positioning and decision making is bad. Not counting in Chester here who I rate as a good defender.

I would like him to sign up - mostly because it would be fun :-D after all these defeats I need something that's fun!

He would be good addition to our tradition of signing players 5-7 years after they have peaked.

2 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I'd really much rather see Easah Suliman get a chance towards the end of the season to be honest. I don't think Steve Bruce has any sort of record when it comes to bringing through and developing home grown players so over the hill mercenaries get priority.

I mentioned that when he got the job. His willingness to give youth a chance is non-existent. Probably count on one hand amount of youngsters he has given a chance to

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I mentioned that when he got the job. His willingness to give youth a chance is non-existent. Probably count on one hand amount of youngsters he has given a chance to

to be fair Davis RHM have got a chance so far. But yeah hes a 'safe' style manager who just picks safe sides to try and keep his job. We need a manager who is brave and backs himself even when it goes to shit. I liked Lambert but when things werent going his way.. he just gave up his attacking philosophies and got all defensive. Just got to stick to your style. Bruce is all over the place now that his standard formation doesnt work

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

The only homegrown player of note that he has brought through that I can think of is Jordan Henderson, I thought he may have played a part in developing Andy Johnson years ago but he sold him fairly quickly after taking over to sign Clinton Morrison instead.

Andrew Robertson was a good signing who got his chance when young.

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro

On 22/02/2017 at 17:56, Nigel said:

Wow there are some over reactions on here to this! 

How is bringing in experienced cover for an injury prone player deserving of such negativity?

Id be disappointed to see Elphic as part of a back 4 again...yet this is what we are going to see in a few weeks if another player is not bought in.

Id be worried if this were anything other than covering bets..but theres nothing to suggest there is.

Bruce has been here since October and has had an entire transfer window during which he was allowed the luxury of having a bigger budget than anyone else in this division. We have had no serious injuries in the CB position since the window closed, but he has decided that now is the time to look for cover in this position. Are you worried yet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Bruce has been here since October and has had an entire transfer window during which he was allowed the luxury of having a bigger budget than anyone else in this division. We have had no serious injuries in the CB position since the window closed, but he has decided that now is the time to look for cover in this position.

Are you worried yet?

Nope.

Bruce has just pretty much confirmed he will be signing Samba in his pre match conference, said its not a trial because everyone knows what hes capable of, would be disrespectful to call it a trial - or something along those lines 

7 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Bruce has just pretty much confirmed he will be signing Samba in his pre match conference, said its not a trial because everyone knows what hes capable of, would be disrespectful to call it a trial - or something along those lines 

And my opinion of bruce manages to sink even lower.

• Like 1

Â