Chris Samba

midian

This would be a terrible signing.

Bruce has proven since he's been here that he can't get the best out of the players at his disposal what chance does he have with a player who is in decline in the twilight of his career and has spent the past 3 years playing in the arse end of Russia and Greece.

Crystal Palace didn't want him that's despite Big Sam being a previous manager of his who will know the player inside out.

I thought we learnt from the mistake with Lescott please don't give him a contract.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

So.  Reasons we should give Bruce more time I have seen on these boards

1) too many new players takes time for them to gel.   So Steve's plan is to get another new one.

2) players come here and coast thinking they've made it.   So Steve's plan is to sign a player on his last legs.

3) we just need stability.  So Steve adds a new wild card.   

I guess somebody will now tell us that Steve's problem has been that there's not been enough experience in the squad ?  

• Like 1

Samba is slow and ponderous with the turning circle of a super tanker. Those were my thoughts when he played against us in the Carling Cup Semi Final in 2010 (?). Seven years later I doubt very much if he has improved.

He might give us a bit more bite at set pieces and defending corners but I shudder to think what he will not give us in open play.

Best avoid.

10 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

1) too many new players takes time for them to gel.   So Steve's plan is to get another new one.

2) players come here and coast thinking they've made it.   So Steve's plan is to sign a player on his last legs.

I guess somebody will now tell us that Steve's problem has been that there's not been enough experience in the squad ?  

One reason not to sack a manager is for letting someone train with them and for possibly weighing up options.

Unless perhaps that someone is Jeanette Krankie.

.......and just when did "experience" become a dirty word? I missed that memo.

Edited by Lunarsea
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lunarsea said:

One reason not to sack a manager is for letting someone train with them and for possibly weighing up options.

Unless perhaps that someone is Jeanette Krankie.

.......and just when did "experience" become a dirty word? I missed that memo.

you misunderstood my point.  I've got no problem with experience of giving someone a trial.  My annoyance is at the (IMO flimsy) excuses given for Bruce.  If you think he should be given time because we've had so many new players then you would have to be against trialing or signing anyone else....

21 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

you misunderstood my point.  I've got no problem with experience of giving someone a trial.  My annoyance is at the (IMO flimsy) excuses given for Bruce. 

Isn't that really for a different thread though?

If you think he should be given time because we've had so many new players then you would have to be against trialing or signing anyone else....

I don't see how that follows at all.

A football team is a forever ongoing project.

24 minutes ago, Lunarsea said:

Isn't that really for a different thread though?

I don't see how that follows at all.

A football team is a forever ongoing project.

If Westwood can make every thread.....

and of course every team is an ongoing project. Which is why it's an invalid excuse for Bruce.  

So, back to Sambs, I hope he helps us and can see several ways he might.  

On 2/25/2017 at 02:45, srsmithusa said:

Problem is you live in a black and white World where you believe that pro-Bruce fans think every decision he makes is the correct one.

Just because I want to give Bruce more time doesn't mean that I think his system is perfect every game, or that his team selection is spot on every week or that every signing he makes is excellent.

I don't rate Samba. But as @dont_do_it_doug. says, if it's as cover, what's the problem? Injuries happen in football. A lot on here wanted Hutton gone. We signed de Laet, who got injured. We signed Bree, who got injured. We're playing with our 3rd choice right back. We currently only really have 1 CB option beyond the first XI. While I completely agree that Bruce could've signed one in Jan, I think the midfield was the clear priority, as it should've been.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Problem is you live in a black and white World where you believe that pro-Bruce fans think every decision he makes is the correct one.

Just because I want to give Bruce more time doesn't mean that I think his system is perfect every game, or that his team selection is spot on every week or that every signing he makes is excellent.

I don't rate Samba. But as @dont_do_it_doug. says, if it's as cover, what's the problem? Injuries happen in football. A lot on here wanted Hutton gone. We signed de Laet, who got injured. We signed Bree, who got injured. We're playing with our 3rd choice right back. We currently only really have 1 CB option beyond the first XI. While I completely agree that Bruce could've signed one in Jan, I think the midfield was the clear priority, as it should've been.

Sorry, I don't think you are right about my problem.  My problem is that I think the excuses given for Bruce's errors are flimsy, invalid, sometimes contradictory.  I actually think that making and tolerating excuses for poor performance is what has us in this terrible condition we find ourselves.  That includes excusing the manager.  Then I posted something rooted in those frustrations in the wrong thread.  Should have been in the Bruce thread.  I have no problem giving trials or contracts to players that might help us.  I'll try to keep my frustration at the excuses for Bruce to the right thread.

34 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Absolute unit. 

Surely if he has the legs for it he's worth a pop on a short term deal for next season? Particularly if they don't want to hamper Bedeau's development. 

Crikey are we sure he isn't playing in an under 12's game.

He looks in good shape in fairness and like you say if he has the legs still then he may well be worth a punt.

Edit - Just seen he played for an hour and looked decent apparently.

Edited by markavfc40

Â