New Manager : 2017

darrenm

6 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Yes, he is, would be a decent shout. Got to say, names like Rowett/Warnock/Warburton are depressing, take a chance and just throw some cash at a foreign manager, can't do much worse that what we've had to endure over the last 6 years.

Sorry but why do they have to be foreign......Do you not remember Remi Garde or Dr Jo Venglos or does going foreign just guarantee success?

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He is but the point is i dont care if I hate the new manager personally, if he can do even a semi decent job here it would be a breath of fresh air. Be it mick mccarthy or Johnny foreigner. At this stage I don't care. 

I can't fault your opinion there mate. 

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Sorry but why do they have to be foreign......Do you not remember Remi Garde or Dr Jo Venglos or does going foreign just guarantee success?

Well, not just foreign, but we seem to always have to go with Premier League and now Championship experience when there are potentially some very good managers abroad, or even in the lower leagues (though I can't think of an example of someone putting their name in lights right now), that we ignore for some arbitrary reason. Good managers are good managers, and we should be trying to find them.

Bielsa and Mancini don't have jobs currently, a bit fanciful yes, but why not throw money at them to see if they'd come? Mancini almost joined Notts County when Sven was there, so why not join a team that would be 2 divisions higher? Instead of restricting ourselves to the same old tired English managers, why not look for someone with a good reputation abroad?

Just now, mykeyb said:

Wouldn't disagree but the assumption that foreign managers will mean beautiful winning football is based on what evidence.

If Brendan Rodgers (technically foreign as I reckon he travels on an Irish passport) was available I'd go for him but unfortunately there is not too many tactically astute, impressive and progressive English/British managers available at the moment. Rowett did very well in his last job but they played underdog football too, Warburton is a spoofer who was found out as a man and a manger at Rangers while Dean Smith is doing ok at Brentford and they play good football but a lot of that is down to the club.

You could take a chance on the likes of your man at Lincoln or other lower league successes but in Villa's precarious position that wouldn't be wise.

Easier to find proven tactically astute, impressive and progressive managers from abroad.

British or foreign I don't really care, I just want the best attainable Man for the job regardless of nationality or relevant championship experience. Someone who knows how to change a game through tactics would be a start. 

Edited by thabucks

11 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Wouldn't disagree but the assumption that foreign managers will mean beautiful winning football is based on what evidence.

Conte

Pep

Mourinho

Wenger

Klopp

Pochettino 

Koeman

?? No Guarantee but the evidence is there, go foreign or go nowhere. 

On 11/02/2017 at 21:25, LondonLax said:

Jut keep sacking the manager every three-six months. That's a sure fire strategy that has worked well in the past...

If the managers in question are losing 7 out of 8 games with their own players then it doesnt leave a great deal of choice.

I still think we should give him a bit more time but how much time do you give someone who loses every week, plays awful tactics that suppress the talents of the very players he himself bought to the club and makes dreadful substitutions.

• Like 1

The sad thing about our situation now is that if Bruce were to be sacked (which I'm not against at all), no matter who we get I won't be able to get the least bit excited about it. Failure and weakness have been so entwined with this club over the past few years that it's likely whoever comes in will end up failing too within 6 months/1 year

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

Probably, but they'll probably end up totally useless within a few months of walking through the door.

thats not true though is it? We havent hired a competent manager in 7 or 8 years so we will never know