New Manager : 2017

darrenm

Forget Dean Smith. Just because he masterminded our defeat it doesn't make him a good manager. Brentford are only one point above us. 

Rowett could be good but I'm not convinced by him and wouldn't want to take the chance. 

Look at our league now and there are a couple of managers who really stand out. Gary Monk and David Wagner. 

Monk never impressed me when he was at Swansea and although he's doing great at Leeds I am still not totally convinced by him. 

Wagner has done wonders for Huddersfield. They are 5 points away from Champions material. Imagine that, Huddersfield a Premier League club! That's Eddie Howe sized achievement. I'd take a gamble on Wagner and hope he can have the same impact here. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Forget Dean Smith. Just because he masterminded our defeat it doesn't make him a good manager. Brentford are only one point above us. 

they have also won 2 more games and scored 15 more goals than us and that is not including the fact we have a much bigger budget and knicked Scott Hogan

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

they have also won 2 more games and scored 15 more goals than us and that is not including the fact we have a much bigger budget and knicked Scott Hogan

Plus he's being shopping in the footballing equivalent of primark up to now. It would be a gamble though

No more British managers please. Their methods are so antiquated. We need to find the next Pottechino, Koeman, Klopp. These types of manager are out there we just need to scout the world. I know some of you will refer to Garde as a not so good example but he was shit on by Lerner and his cronies and never stood a chance.

You only have to look at the Premier League to see how poorly British managers are doing compared to their foreign counterparts. Even in the Championship we have successful foreign managers at the top.

The likes of Bruce, Lambert, Warnock, Holloway, McCarthy, Pulis, Allardyce (shall I go on) are never going to have any success and we need to break out of the cycle of turgid negative football.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Wagner has done wonders for Huddersfield. They are 5 points away from Champions material. Imagine that, Huddersfield a Premier League club! That's Eddie Howe sized achievement. I'd take a gamble on Wagner and hope he can have the same impact here. 

The problem there is Wagner isn't going to leave a club he's managed to get into playoff contention to join a team battling relegation

I didn't really ever see any long term future under Bruce, but was OK with keeping him around until the summer because I didn't think it would turn out this bad.

But now we are seriously in danger of being dragged into the relegation scrap and can't risk having him around any longer.

At the same time I don't think replacing him with whoever is available atm is the way to go.

I've no idea how proactive Xia and his people are and how long they've been planning for if and when it went pear shaped under Bruce.

Either way, the chance of them finding a quality candidate under these circumstances is slim 

As it stands now I think they should try and get an interim manager in while they search and find the right long term one. If they find him soon then great. If not then at the end of the season it will hopefully be easier.

Keeping Bruce and hoping he stumbles over a winning formula is no longer a viable option.

Bruce has to go before he does any unrepairable damage.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

thats not true though is it? We havent hired a competent manager in 7 or 8 years so we will never know

You say that but some of them have pretty solid records prior to coming here. No doubt some were incompetent (especially McLeish, RDM and Sherwood) but Lambert and Bruce could not at all be described as incompetent when they took the job. They just end up that way on the job. And that's what's so depressing. It's the same with a lot of players too.

• Like 2

I think Lambert did extremely well considering what he had to work with. Yes by the end he'd lost his way but that was very understandable. The managers since apart from Garde have had the funding that lambert could only have dreamed about.  This is a lower level of football and we are just as bad. Wrong time right manager Lambert.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

No more British managers please. Their methods are so antiquated. We need to find the next Pottechino, Koeman, Klopp. These types of manager are out there we just need to scout the world. I know some of you will refer to Garde as a not so good example but he was shit on by Lerner and his cronies and never stood a chance.

You only have to look at the Premier League to see how poorly British managers are doing compared to their foreign counterparts. Even in the Championship we have successful foreign managers at the top.

The likes of Bruce, Lambert, Warnock, Holloway, McCarthy, Pulis, Allardyce (shall I go on) are never going to have any success and we need to break out of the cycle of turgid negative football.

Name me one who is get-able just one?

10 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Name me one who is get-able just one?

Did you not read my post? I said scour the world. I'm sorry I don't know every single football manager in the world but clearly you must do as you appear to know that none of them are 'get-able' (not sure that's a real word but hey ho). I bow to your superior knowledge.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Easy as that then!

Other teams do it. We are not exactly poor. People keep banging on about Wagner so if he is so good and Huddersfield (yea just let that name sink in a bit) can attract him why can't AVFC attract someone better!

Just now, pacbuddies said:

Other teams do it. We are not exactly poor. People keep banging on about Wagner so if he is so good and Huddersfield (yea just let that name sink in a bit) can attract him why can't AVFC attract someone better!

Easy!

Don't know why more teams don't try it

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Easy!

Don't know why more teams don't try it

They do and they are the ones benefitting. AVFC and some of its fans seem to think we are only allowed to go for dinosaurs like Bruce, McLeish, Lambert etc. It's time to act like a club that wants to be back in Europe in 5 years rather than just talking about.

4 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Did you not read my post? I said scour the world. I'm sorry I don't know every single football manager in the world but clearly you must do as you appear to know that none of them are 'get-able' (not sure that's a real word but hey ho). I bow to your superior knowledge.

No I asked you to name just one who you considered gettable as you have ruled out anyone born in the british isles. I am saying we shouldnt rule out any manager based on where they were born. This british managers are dinosaurs and foreign managers are progressive forward thinking types all goes to pot when you consider we tried Remi Garde & RDM who were no better than Sherwood or Bruce.

1 minute ago, pacbuddies said:

They do and they are the ones benefitting. AVFC and some of its fans seem to think we are only allowed to go for dinosaurs like Bruce, McLeish, Lambert etc. It's time to act like a club that wants to be back in Europe in 5 years rather than just talking about.

Lambert, Sherwood and Garde aren't dinosaurs, they were just shit.

The point I'm making is it's all very well saying "we need to find the next Pochettino", but that's not exactly an easy task, is it?!

FWIW I don't particularly agree with the finding "the next..." tactic. It's risky.

40 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

I know a lot of fans would kick up but I would welcome Lambert back.  He seems to have been refreshed since leaving us.

I am not sure on that. He has taken 18 points in 15 league games.

At this stage of the season I genuinely don't know who we could get. When RDM was sacked after 11 games it didn't seem like we had numerous good managers to choose from. Now with 15 games to go, on a dire run and 7 points from the drop zone to league one I couldn't see anyone decent coming in knowing that if they don't turn things around quickly we could drop and they get the flick. I am also unsure how keen any manager worth his salt will be to come here and be our third manager in 5 or 6 months. It hardly suggests you'd be working for a patient owner. Quite the opposite.

This is a tough job that comes with unique challenges at this level given the expectation. It is not like managing Brentford, Huddersfield, Preston, Barnsley etc and being allowed time under little pressure and then over achieving. Any manager comes in here he gets half a season at best and if he isn't getting results he will be under huge pressure. The same can be said for the players. You can be a big fish in a small pound at the likes of Barnsley and Brentford playing under little pressure just enjoying your football but you come here and it is a whole different ball game and you need a mental toughness to handle that.

If Bruce is to go I don't know who the answer is. We have had two managers this season who are like chalk and cheese and neither has worked so far. 

39 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

No I asked you to name just one who you considered gettable as you have ruled out anyone born in the british isles. I am saying we shouldnt rule out any manager based on where they were born. This british managers are dinosaurs and foreign managers are progressive forward thinking types all goes to pot when you consider we tried Remi Garde & RDM who were no better than Sherwood or Bruce.

Remi Garde was not given a penny in transfer funds so don't compare him to Bruce who has spent a fortune and inherited a far better team. RDM has spent most of his playing and managerial career in the UK so I would hardly class him as a progressive manager from abroad.

• Like 2