New Manager : 2017

darrenm

3 minutes ago, philgetaway said:

"The next Pochettino".  Imagine if we appointed him when he first moved to England?  He didn't do an interview in English until he went to Spurs - he would have been hounded from day 1.

Only by idiots.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Wagner or hughton would be my choice .

Whether either would come is open to question - unlikely if either wins promotion.

Neither will come here I am afraid as we are as a club at the moment.

rowett smith or warnock are more realistic 

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Neither will come here I am afraid as we are as a club at the moment.

rowett smith or warnock are more realistic 

Surely there is more potential at villa than Huddersfield town unless they get promoted?

as a club we have a decent squad , stadium , training facilities and fan base - what we lack is a decent manager to get the best from those decent players - we have seen what they can do elsewhere - we need someone who can organize motivate and get these players playing to their best . 

Edited by Eastie

Just now, sparrow1988 said:

Why 'as it always gotta be a foreign managa?

I couldn't give a shit if his name was mark silver. I just think, with an extremely poor hull team, he's doing a great job and has at least given them a chance of survival.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Marco silva in the summer unless Bruce turns it around and hull go down.

I've been impressed with Hull under him.

They actually have phases in their play and use tactics something were incapable of under Bruce

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

Remi Garde was not given a penny in transfer funds so don't compare him to Bruce who has spent a fortune and inherited a far better team. RDM has spent most of his playing and managerial career in the UK so I would hardly class him as a progressive manager from abroad.

So we are dismissing the failures then, Venglos, Gross, Santini, Perrin, Zajec, Ramos, Magath, Solksjaer, Mel, Meulensteen to name a few more. Yes some work but it's no guarantee and in real terms a much bigger gamble.

5 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

So we are dismissing the failures then, Venglos, Gross, Santini, Perrin, Zajec, Ramos, Magath, Solksjaer, Mel, Meulensteen to name a few more. Yes some work but it's no guarantee and in real terms a much bigger gamble.

Now you are coming up with a list of names that all bar one had nothing to do with AVFC. I tell you what, you name me one British manager that you think would be a good fit for us.

8 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Now you are coming up with a list of names that all bar one had nothing to do with AVFC. I tell you what, you name me one British manager that you think would be a good fit for us.

And not just that, for every failed foreign manager, there will be plenty more failed English managers. It doesn't matter where a manager comes from, if he can improve avfc.

• Like 1

Never wanted Bruce but was willing to give him the benefit of doubt. Started to warm to him when we got a few wins but since the new year my previous views on him have returned. That said unless we are in with a realistic of chance of getting relegated I don't see what getting rid of him this season would achieve? Needs time to build and shape the team, but if we are still shit get rid in the summer. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

You suggested that we should go foreign because all British managers are dinosaurs, I was pointing out to you that going foreign is not any guarantee of success. If I had to make an appointment now I would go for Houghton at Brighton if I was going British, preferably Wagner if I had an open choice. Would either come,............

I dont think its pointless at all sacking him. He has shown absolutely nothing to suggest we keep him. Cant think of anything positive that he has brought to the club and nothing to indicate he will pick up

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

You suggested that we should go foreign because all British managers are dinosaurs, I was pointing out to you that going foreign is not any guarantee of success. If I had to make an appointment now I would go for Houghton at Brighton if I was going British, preferably Wagner if I had an open choice. Would either come,............

Hughton is an unrealistic suggestion. It would be highly unlikely that any manager doing well in the English leagues will leave their jobs to come to a demoralised, struggling team that is being dragged into a relegation battle. Out of the available English managers there is only Pardew, Rowett and Warburton that jump out. Rowett would probably be the best of them but is a bit of a risk and may not be a huge upgrade on Bruce in terms of tactics. He might be better at motivating the team and bringing a bit of confidence back but I can't see him setting up a team capable of winning the Championship in the next couple of seasons.

I wouldn't be happy with Pardew or Warburton as there is too much potential for things to go downhill even more.

To find a good available manager it might be a wise decision to broaden the clubs horizons. Stephen Kenny of Dundalk would be another foreign manager I would be happy with. He breeds confidence into his players, has his teams well set up and they play a good brand of football.

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

would Rowett really want to come? also would he do anything better than what Bruce has done

I'd say he would want to come. He couldn't do any worse than Bruce has but I reckon there would be a limit to his ability level. I could be wrong and he could be as good as Sean Dyche but I doubt it.

Glenn Hoddle, Eddie Howe or our very own David Platt with an elder statesman alongside him I'd be ok with any of these. Some might say Platt's ship has sailed but with the right man alongside him I think he could still cut the mustard.