The Manager thread

Xela

Watching Gerrard and Southgate and others like Lampard you have to wonder why a lot of English managers are reactive and not proactive managers. I assume it must be something in the coaching system and they are afraid to think outside the box. Potter did most of his managerial education in Sweden and has a lot more ideas

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Watching Gerrard and Southgate and others like Lampard you have to wonder why a lot of English managers are reactive and not proactive managers. I assume it must be something in the coaching system and they are afraid to think outside the box. Potter did most of his managerial education in Sweden and has a lot more ideas

I've said before British managers tend to be really slow at making adjustments or even subs around hour mark when games are in balance or even opposition start to get control. That was always a big criticism of Dean Smith by me and really Gerrard is no better so there's one manager who's been doing the job a decade and another who's a novice.

I can't pinpoint one thing except it's perhaps that ingrained British bulldog mentality of the 11 who start on battlefield must be left on at all costs until they're carried off etc. Of course less of that anyway with 5 subs being a permanent move now.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Was a time on here that Chris Wilder was on the way to be an elite manager and we ahould have sacked Smith for him 😂

Been linked with the Bournemouth job.

It's odd. He came in last December and lifted Boro from mid table to brink of play offs, they still had a decent chance going into last game.

Also defeated Man. United and Spurs in back to back rounds of FA cup.

Shocking start this season though so surprised it's gone so wrong whereas West Brom were awful under Bruce last season so their struggles aren't such a shock.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Was a time on here that Chris Wilder was on the way to be an elite manager and we ahould have sacked Smith for him 😂

He never got over that goal line technology fail. 

• Haha 2

I dint actually mind wilder. I remember when we went crazy when snodders scored at their place brammal lane and he was sticking up for us saying we were entitled to do that 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't be surprised me if Bilic isn't at Watford for much longer, Eustace doing well at small heath, that could be an option for them.

Also notice that Eustace has an association with QPR, so maybe he could come in contention for that job should Beale go to Wolves.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Interesting listening to Lampard’s post match comments on MOTD, saying how Tarkowski and Coady have transformed the dressing room.  Both their professionalism and work ethic etc has been a breath of fresh air.

Shows how important recruitment is but also a plan on how to get the very best out of what you have. The type of signings might not blow people away but will give you a solid base.

Lampard doing much better now and perhaps showing Gerrard the way?  

On 23/10/2022 at 04:30, ferguson1 said:

Interesting listening to Lampard’s post match comments on MOTD, saying how Tarkowski and Coady have transformed the dressing room.  Both their professionalism and work ethic etc has been a breath of fresh air.

Shows how important recruitment is but also a plan on how to get the very best out of what you have. The type of signings might not blow people away but will give you a solid base.

Lampard doing much better now and perhaps showing Gerrard the way?  

And to be fair to Lampard, he has learned a bit after cutting his teeth at Derby, then getting the Chelsea job too early, and then going to Everton.

The manager's default remit is to understand the players he has and to play them in a style and system that can work best for them. Too often it's square pegs in round holes and not understanding the strengths/weaknesses of the players in front of them.

So in that respect, I think Frank has learned a little bit about what works and what doesn't with the players he has at Everton. Something Gerrard needs to learn if he wants to get back into it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm much happier with Emery, but I think Dyche is a better manager than he's given credit for, and I'd like to see what he can do/if he can do anything much at a bigger club with slightly better players than Burnley. 

• Like 2

Â