The Manager thread

Xela

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Why do some managers ‘take time to implement their style’ and others not?

Is it because the ones that don’t take very long aren’t actually doing any proper coaching?

Because they get the message across without using stupid terms like Emergency areas and detail of defending.

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Is it because the ones that don’t take very long aren’t actually doing any proper coaching?

Its more like the ones that do know not to force implement it straight away but work with the strengths of the existing squad. Then implement their own favourite style over time.

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Its more like the ones that do know not to force implement it straight away but work with the strengths of the existing squad. Then implement their own favourite style over time.

Some wild assumptions about what Potter would and wouldn’t do as a new manager at a club. wrong thread for it though 

11 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Could be. Also in cases of quick turnarounds, the foundations are usually already there and the squad is just underperforming for some reason.

Potter’s first success story at Ostersund involved teaching a bunch of farmers, bricklayers and asylum seekers to play football from scratch, so obviously took more time.

2 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Apparently there is chatter of Leicester going after Thomas Frank if they get rid of Rodgers. So we might still get a decent pick of managers now if Potter goes to Chelsea, Kjetil goes to Brighton and Marco Rose to Leipzig. 

Not sure why Frank would accept. They're projected to make a lot of losses meaning he won't have much money to shape the squad to his liking. And its not like it seems he's reached ceiling with Brentford yet.

21 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Potter won't last the season at Chelsea. It will take years to implement his style, and in the meantime there's no way he can get the results to keep them top 4.

Why years?

He implemented his style on Brighton and his two previous positions pretty quickly with much less calibre players and resources.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I think there is a difference between short term changes that are more effective than the previous manager's and longterm charges that are more of a paradigm shift that change the culture of how football is played. Potter is a paradigm shift type manager and this takes longer

• Like 1

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Why years?

He implemented his style on Brighton and his two previous positions pretty quickly with much less calibre players and resources.

Totally, if he goes he will never have had that much talent at his disposal, whereas before he might have had to compromise on what his ideal shape and tactics might be due to different players' weaknesses at Chelsea that isn't going to be a big problem for him. I would expect Chelsea to completely boss possession against whoever they play under Potter and be patient to wait for the right opportunities to score. Won't take him long to get them playing his way.

7 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Not sure why Frank would accept. They're projected to make a lot of losses meaning he won't have much money to shape the squad to his liking. And its not like it seems he's reached ceiling with Brentford yet.

Apparently 120m loss for this accounting year and that includes the 75m for selling Fofana. That is serious FFP worries and lack of future funding for transfers

Just now, romavillan said:

Totally, if he goes he will never have had that much talent at his disposal, whereas before he might have had to compromise on what his ideal shape and tactics might be due to different players' weaknesses at Chelsea that isn't going to be a big problem for him. I would expect Chelsea to completely boss possession against whoever they play under Potter and be patient to wait for the right opportunities to score. Won't take him long to get them playing his way.

In many respects they already play a similar style too, given that they already boss possession in the majority of their games. 

I think he’s the real deal and have done for a couple of years now, I like his persona and mannerisms too, calm and professional.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

What other PL clubs could change manager before the World Cup apart from Chelsea and Brighton? I’d say Southampton, Wolves, Everton, West Ham, Forest and Leicester. There will be many vacancies to fill.

Klopp could leave as well but he will most likely stay the season.

No chance wolves or Forrest change imo, lampards also starting to look ok 

18 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

If the rumours are true he would be a bit mad to go there in my opinion for the reasons you’ve stated. It’s part of the reason why they haven’t been so quick to sack Rodgers and they are hoping he walks instead.

22 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think there is a difference between short term changes that are more effective than the previous manager's and longterm charges that are more of a paradigm shift that change the culture of how football is played. Potter is a paradigm shift type manager and this takes longer

Sounds like an only positive thing 

10 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

If the rumours are true he would be a bit mad to go there in my opinion for the reasons you’ve stated. It’s part of the reason why they haven’t been so quick to sack Rodgers and they are hoping he walks instead.

Rumours are that they've not sacked Rodgers yet as he want's £10m compo and they are only offering him £5m

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

Not necessarily. I suppose it's a matter of familiarity, fitness levels, knowing where to go and when, where team mates are, practicing various phases of the game to replicate match situations etc. 

Some systems maybe more common than others, giving the players a higher level of familiarity from the off.

Â