The Manager thread

Xela

Surprised so many are so disgusted by it.

Nobody expected them to improve on last season but they used all the extra money for that league finish in making the squad worse.

For the longest time this season the bottom 4 or 5 clubs were never picking up points and they were still miles off the pace. Shouldn't have lost his job but he's also had a terrible year and should be held accountable for that.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

strange decision as missing a lot of players at the back, I think transfers were awful at the end but he has done a brilliant job

They have new enough Saudi owner so I expect a foreign name manager who will keep them in the Championship for a few seasons more

Think the issue is the owner wanted them to sign more foreign players last summer. For example it was rumoured he wanted some Greek keeper to replace Henderson while they just wasted nearly 20m on Ramsdale as Wilder stuck to the home grown players.

So think it's more down to recruitment going forward than actual results.

Wilder will pop up again in the championship for next season and do a good job somewhere, can see Bournemouth being in for him, maybe Huddersfield aswell.

15 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Surprised so many are so disgusted by it.

Nobody expected them to improve on last season but they used all the extra money for that league finish in making the squad worse.

For the longest time this season the bottom 4 or 5 clubs were never picking up points and they were still miles off the pace. Shouldn't have lost his job but he's also had a terrible year and should be held accountable for that.

think its the fact on where they were when he took over to now. I dont think its a club that will have quality ready to join and has to be creative in the market. Shit signings but he probably deserved a chance to bring them back up

On 10/03/2021 at 00:32, sne said:

Pirlo might the most handsome man in the world but he's not doing a great job at Juve,

I've been watching a lot of Juve this season to keep track of Weston McKennie (America!) and I've got to say, it's just dreadful. Maybe it's Serie A, maybe it's Juve specifically, but after years spent watching the Premier League and Bundesliga, the football is plodding, ponderous, and completely uninspiring. I get the sense that Pirlo has an idea of what he wants to see, but something is lost in translation. I certainly don't know what he's trying to do. There are a lot of interesting parts, but they just don't seem to fit together in a way that brings out the best in any of them. There seems to be a mix, much like Barcelona, of veteran players who are past their best and younger players who don't seem to know where they fit in. The midfield looks good on paper (I think?), but McKennie is the only one of them with an ounce of initiative—and he clearly can't do it alone. The only time they look dangerous or exciting is when they bypass the midfield and Cuadrado is whipping in crosses from the right.

So it seems to me, is my best guess, that they're a team in transition under the guidance of a manager who is learning on the job (like Lampard, but with even less experience and perhaps less talent at his disposal), and whether that starts to work itself out before Pirlo gets the sack is anybody's guess.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

I've been watching a lot of Juve this season to keep track of Weston McKennie (America!) and I've got to say, it's just dreadful. Maybe it's Serie A, maybe it's Juve specifically, but after years spent watching the Premier League and Bundesliga, the football is plodding, ponderous, and completely uninspiring.

They've been a bit less fantastic this season but try watching a couple Atalanta games if you get the chance. Not many more entertaining teams out there than them.

Agree on Pirlo, he's maybe a bit too green for Juve and is spoiled for choice with that squad. He doesn't seem like he knows what he want's to do or how to best use the squad and players he has.

• Like 3

I dont think he is spoiled for choice as his midfield options are poor, without McKennie they dont have anybody thats dynamic. Arthur has been a bit of a flop so far, Rabiot, Bentancur and Ramsey are meh. His persistance with Ramsey has cost him big games

Pjanic was an orchestrator and they dont seem to have that type of player anymore, Juve best midfield in last decade was always a playmaker and a couple of runners like Marchisio or Vidal which they dont have many of them left

• Like 2

Starting line up of navas, dagba, marquinhos, pembele, diallo, danilo P, verratti, Di Maria, draxler, rafinha, mbappe

Subs krehrer, icardi, paredes, rico, sarabia, kurzawa, Bakker, gueye, pembele

From the 18 I'm saying 7 maybe 8 of them get a game at villa... Awful squad for how its cost them to put together, if you're talking world class top table players they've got marquinhos and mbappe (neymar injured obviously) with then verratti brilliant on his day, apart from the keeper and the young CB 7 of man city's bench last night walks in that PSG team 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

another defeat for Pochettino against a bottom 3 team, this time at home to Nantes

Be surprised if he sees Christmas at PSG at this rate

For PSG isnt it all about the champions league? They just knocked out Barcelona 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Jose absolutely must win the league cup to avoid his spell being labelled a failure

I'd actually declare it as a failure now tbh.

Last time Spurs won the league cup they were bottom of the league and in total chaos six months later.

We could've pulled out a GOAT performance v Man. City and still got relegated and Dean Smith could well have been out of a job by now e.g Wigan in 2013.

McLeish was seen as a laughing stock 18 months after winning it.

It's not really any great springboard to any future success. Man. City regarded their season as a total failure despite winning it last season. Spurs only actually played 3 games to reach the final aswell.

He was appointed to get them back into the CL and has fallen short.

Edited by VillaChris

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Jose Mourinho.

Discuss.:crylaugh:

Mourinho isn't a squad builder. Never have been. He comes to clubs to win in the short term.

If you don't get trophies there is literally no point with him.

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd actually declare it as a failure now tbh.

Last time Spurs won the league cup they were bottom of the league and in total chaos six months later.

We could've pulled out a GOAT performance v Man. City and still got relegated and Dean Smith could well have been out of a job by now e.g Wigan in 2013.

McLeish was seen as a laughing stock 18 months after winning it.

It's not really any great springboard to any future success. Man. City regarded their season as a total failure despite winning it last season. Spurs only actually played 3 games to reach the final aswell.

He was appointed to get them back into the CL and has fallen short.

I think he was appointed to get something, anything, in the trophy cabinet. League cup is a bit of silver and a ticket back to Europe.

It’s puts his season into the “ok” window. Not great, not a disaster, just ok.

I know football fans don’t tend to do middle ground but I think a long awaited trophy will paper over some of the cracks elsewhere. They are still in the hunt for CL spots. Win their game in hand and they are 3 points outside. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think he was appointed to get something, anything, in the trophy cabinet. League cup is a bit of silver and a ticket back to Europe.

It’s puts his season into the “ok” window. Not great, not a disaster, just ok.

I know football fans don’t tend to do middle ground but I think a long awaited trophy will paper over some of the cracks elsewhere. They are still in the hunt for CL spots. Win their game in hand and they are 3 points outside. 

League Cup is like Arsenal winning the Emirates Cup.

Counts I guess, but nobody else was trying and nobody cares if you win it, they'll also lose without really putting up much of a fight against City too.

To go out in that manner is fully indefensible. Especially after such a poor performance at the weekend.

Â