The Manager thread

Xela

59 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I also think the lack of crowds is a big aspect. Clubs are turning out to take more long-term perspectives on managers when they don't have 30,000 furious fans in near-violent mutiny every few months, who'd have thought it.

Instead they’re taking to social media to send deaths threats or racial abuse :( 

• Like 1

The bottom 3 are that bad and that far adrift for most of the season that it's not been worth the risk for the likes of Palace or Newcastle, paired with those that are down the bottom bar baggies sticking with their guys

Those in the middle or even the top can win 3 games on the trot and be in the mix, the inconsistency makes it really competitive so again not worth the risk of upsetting the apple cart 

Rooney doing pretty well at Derby, starting to lift them clear of bottom 3 with a mediocre squad.

I listen to a few of their games as I can pick up Radio Derby and Eric Steele (our goalkeeping coach for much of the 2000s) is always saying how surprisingly calm he is on the touchline so I reckon he might surprise a few in how well he does in management long term as not easy to have a first job when Derby were pretty much bottom when he took over.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

On 15/02/2021 at 17:02, HanoiVillan said:

I also think the lack of crowds is a big aspect. Clubs are turning out to take more long-term perspectives on managers when they don't have 30,000 furious fans in near-violent mutiny every few months, who'd have thought it.

Hodgson would 100% have been sacked already if fans were in the ground.  They can't stand him 

20 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Hodgson would 100% have been sacked already if fans were in the ground.  They can't stand him 

I genuinely dont think so, who could Palace really attract that would offer more than Roy at this point. They tried the fancy foreign name in De Boer and panicked after 6 games, the only manager they could attract is maybe Eddie Howe and he really isnt all that 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I genuinely dont think so, who could Palace really attract that would offer more than Roy at this point. They tried the fancy foreign name in De Boer and panicked after 6 games, the only manager they could attract is maybe Eddie Howe and he really isnt all that 

Yeah Eddie howe is the likely replacement by the sounds of it 

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I wouldnt be surprised if Palace go down next season and Howe gone by Christmas

I'll certainly be interested to see how he does as a purely head coach role. As long as he's kept away from the club chequebook he might do alright 

16 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Pep labeling Potter as the best English coach. 

Watching Brighton last weekend it's hard to disagree 

Didn't he say the other week that big Sam is a genius?

While Brighton might be good, I would take Pep's media talk with a pinch of salt ;)

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Since half the squad are leaving in the summer on a free, whoever takes over at Palace has both a huge challenge and a huge opportunity.

Fulham MKII that club when Hangeland, Murphy, Berba, Sidwell, Duff, Parker, Davies all retire or leave in the space of about 12 months.
It's an old tired squad propped up by one man's genius and one man's rigid set up.

It's end game for them unless they pull some rabbits out the hat this summer in the market.

• Like 1

Ralph Hassenhuttl  is another one getting a very easy ride with no fans. I can't remember a time when any other manager has lost six straight games in the Premier League without so much as a whiff of being sacked. With fans in, I think the situation at Southampton would be talked about a lot more.

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Since half the squad are leaving in the summer on a free, whoever takes over at Palace has both a huge challenge and a huge opportunity.

I honestly can see Lampard getting the job. London based and Palace always seem to have decent young players on fringes so think he'd take that and risk it rather than dropping back down to championship.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I honestly can see Lampard getting the job. London based and Palace always seem to have decent young players on fringes so think he'd take that and risk it rather than dropping back down to championship.

Yeah, that would make some sense. Watching their U23s a couple of weeks ago, they had one or two who looked decent.

Â