The Manager thread

Xela

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

They did the same vs Brighton in October and nearly won as well, Brighton equalised very late one

They're just a poo side fluking results.  3 shots, 0 corners, 25% possession is never "planned".

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

another great victory for Hodgson, impossible to think Palace will get a better manager

for playing football that you'd pay to watch? they're awful

they need a young up and coming manager who's not afraid to dip in to their decent looking youth set up, build the team around eze and play attacking football, get some sort of identity about them, its dour at the moment, such a pointless uninspiring team

they should have signed that other good QPR player and be looking at olise at reading, build themselves as a stepping stone club for young london talent rather than the likes of chelsea and spurs where they wont break through

They tried the up amd coming route then bottled it after 6 games and sacked De Boer. Not getting into a relegation battle is a successful season for Palace, they are the 5th best team in London plus the 2 Manchester teams, 2 Liverpool teams us, Wolves, Newcastle, Leeds and even Southampton. Not really sure what people think they can do more especially when they dont seem to spend a lot

Palace are currently ahead of Brighton, Southampton and level with Leeds who have managers all praised for playing progressive football. Palace have taken 10 points in 5 games vs them teams this season

On 23/02/2021 at 08:39, villa4europe said:

They should have signed that other good QPR player and be looking at olise at reading, build themselves as a stepping stone club for young london talent rather than the likes of chelsea and spurs where they wont break through

As he's in the news I saw that musiala went to school 3m from selhurst park

Will be a German international next month, currently breaking through at bayern, spent 7 years at Chelsea without a sniff of football 

If Palace are ever to do anything that can't happen 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

As he's in the news I saw that musiala went to school 3m from selhurst park

Will be a German international next month, currently breaking through at bayern, spent 7 years at Chelsea without a sniff of football 

If Palace are ever to do anything that can't happen 

He left Chelsea after turning 16, bit harsh to think he would have been given game time by then

From The S*N in 2018 (archive link).

But most Hammers supporters associate the Londoner with the misery of 2003, when West Ham were relegated from the top flight with a record 42 points.

Roeder suffered a brain tumour that season, collapsing in his office moments after a 1-0 win over Middlesbrough in April and missing the final three games of the season.

He was subjected to shameful chants on his return to Upton Park as Magpies boss three seasons later of ‘why didn’t you die three years ago’ and being branded ‘tumour boy’.

Edited by The_Steve

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

From The S*N in 2018 (archive link).

Well, that certainly sounds grim, and I'm predisposed to believe bad things about West Ham's terrible supporters, but do you have that reported anywhere other than the Scum? Because they're definitely not averse to outright lying about the conduct of football fans, as we know.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well, that certainly sounds grim, and I'm predisposed to believe bad things about West Ham's terrible supporters, but do you have that reported anywhere other than the Scum? Because they're definitely not averse to outright lying about the conduct of football fans, as we know.

Understandable. I wouldn't have linked to them had he not been interviewed. Here's the Guardian in 2006:

Former Hammers boss Glenn Roeder has revealed the extent of the abuse he took during Newcastle's 2-0 win at Upton Park, claiming fans taunted him over the brain cancer he suffered while managing West Ham during their Premiership relegation season in 2003, dubbing him "tumour boy" and asking "why didn't you die three years ago?"

"One of the saddest things about Sunday was that when I looked at the faces of some of the people who were shouting at me, they were men of my age," Roeder said. "Men in their forties and fifties, men screaming about brain tumours and death, men who, God forbid, might find themselves in the same position as me one day.

"At least I was there to hear them yelling what they were yelling. I'm much happier that I'm alive to hear it and not lying beneath the ground somewhere. I was lying on a table for five hours when I had my brain operation and I recovered from my illness and I have moved on."

Really grim.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Thanks. You're right, that is really bleak. What on earth comes over people, honestly.

It's been years since I heard anything quite that bad down at VP, but still, I have to say it's 50/50 on whether I leave the ground with a general loathing of people. Being an anonymous voice in a crowd really gets some people to show their true colours.

I've never heard anyone with a bad word to say about Roeder which speaks volumes really. RIP.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2021 at 10:39, tomav84 said:

genuine question. from the below, who has a job currently if fans had been allowed inside the ground all season? IMO definitely roy and bruce would have been sacked, the others are debatable 

roy - shocking season, players arguably not playing for him anymore

wilder - going down with a whimper 

bruce - genuine danger of relegation, awful football 

jose - massively underachieving

arteta - should definitely be higher in the table with that squad

parker - had such a bad start to the season, paddy power paid out on relegation bets after just a few games

I think Wilder and Parker would still be in a job. As would Mourinho and Arteta. I get the feeling Mourinho will win the Europa Cup.

Bruce would have had a few cabbages thrown at him if there were fans, but would have just stayed put.

Â