The Manager thread

Xela

Just now, VillaChris said:

Next Liverpool manager is also going to have to replace Salah and VVD in next year or two and that won't be easy given their general levels in last five years.

I wouldn't say it's a poisoned chalice job but they're clearly going to drop down a few places unless they sign astoundingly well which isn't a given.

Yep and Unai knows how hard that is after replacing Wenger at Arsenal.

I think they’ll go after somebody like Alonso or DeZerbi

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Next Liverpool manager is also going to have to replace Salah and VVD in next year or two and that won't be easy given their general levels in last five years.

I wouldn't say it's a poisoned chalice job but they're clearly going to drop down a few places unless they sign astoundingly well which isn't a given.

UE would probably feel it would be exactly like replacing Wenger at Arsenal and all those pitfalls.

Far more worried about Barca or Real Madrid eventually coming in for Emery as that's a far bigger pull.

Very good point about UE replacing Wenger at Arsenal. I imagine he’ll be avoiding that scenario again at all costs knowing it’s a poisoned chalice. 

I imagine they’ll go for an Alonso or someone left field maybe. 

Very tough act to follow on from Klopp at Liverpool. Hopefully they falter for a few years!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I've already started the 'Give it Slippy G' campaign. He knows the club.

Off topic I know, but I will laugh a lot that the Liverpool job will have become vacant nearly three years after Slippy joined us and he won’t be getting it.  

15 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I've already started the 'Give it Slippy G' campaign. He knows the club.

Or Southgate….surely it would prestigious for Liverpool to hire a former England manager after his final international tournament….😉😁

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

UE would probably feel it would be exactly like replacing Wenger at Arsenal and all those pitfalls.

Far more worried about Barca or Real Madrid eventually coming in for Emery as that's a far bigger pull.

When Unai followed Wenger to Arsenal he was on a hiding to nothing, Liverpool after Klopp would be similar, I’d imagine they’ll be keen on Alonso given his past status and the fact he’s doing well now as a manager. Step forward Stevie G would be hilarious though!

20 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Xavi to step down as Barcelona coach at the end of the season. Don't you f###ing dare 🤬

You beat me to it. In my opinion the only club job he would leave us for, hope I’m wrong.

22 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Xavi to step down as Barcelona coach at the end of the season. Don't you f###ing dare 🤬

Talk they want de Zerbi. I wouldn't be surprised if Pep left in the summer and went back to Barca.

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Talk they want de Zerbi. I wouldn't be surprised if Pep left in the summer and went back to Barca.

Pep wont go back to barca, they dont have an open cheque book.

7 minutes ago, Cridontour said:

You beat me to it. In my opinion the only club job he would leave us for, hope I’m wrong.

I don't see it. I can feel De Zerbi suiting them more based on his attacking style. Isn't Emery considered as a defensive coach in Spain too?

Edited by Villa_Vids
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I don't see it. I can feel De Zerbi suiting them more based on his attacking style. Isn't Emery considered as a defensive coach in Spain too?

No quite the opposite well renowned as an attacking coach since his days managing Lorca in the segunda division and then went on to build an attacking side that punched above their weight with Almeria , the same with Valencia & Sevilla and Villarreal. His teams have always punched above their weight and I think people tend to perceive his sides as negative solely because on what they’ve seen of those sides playing in the champions league against  superior opposition.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Barcelona could have gone for Emery instead of Xavi or Setien if they really wanted him. Fact is they didn't, which suggests he isn't top of their manager wish list. 

Â