The Manager thread

Xela

14 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah seems both Bayern and Liverpool will want Xabi. Will be interesting to see who Liverpool go for if Xabi ends up at Bayern. 

It would be hilarious if Alonso chose Bayern instead of Liverpool. Their fans would be baffled. If I was him I would choose Bayern, that Liverpool job is a poison chalice with the impending loss of Salah and VVD and a set of fans with unrealistic expectations. At least at Bayern you should be guaranteed a title (and maybe a cup) every year. It would also mean that Slippy G would be in the frame for the Liverpool job 🤞 

24 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah seems both Bayern and Liverpool will want Xabi. Will be interesting to see who Liverpool go for if Xabi ends up at Bayern. 

I dont think the Liverpool job is that appealing at the moment. They still need to finish the rebuild and I dont think the club are that happy to splash the cash

I could see them drop down table to around us and Spurs if get it wrong

Feels like there's bit of turmoil with German managers (and the players...) that's Tuchel, flick, nagelsmann all dropping off quite badly, Low disappearing in to TV was no great surprise 

Tuchel is a mid table PL manager who imo struggles to motivate players, they give up under him 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Feels like there's bit of turmoil with German managers (and the players...) that's Tuchel, flick, nagelsmann all dropping off quite badly, Low disappearing in to TV was no great surprise 

Tuchel is a mid table PL manager who imo struggles to motivate players, they give up under him 

Tuchel is definitely not a mid table Premier League manager and his CV shows it. He is better than Howe, Poch, Arteta, Ten Hag and Ange

He seems to lack people skills around footballers though seems quite a good guy in his interviews/ TV work 

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Tuchel is definitely not a mid table Premier League manager and his CV shows it. He is better than Howe, Poch, Arteta, Ten Hag and Ange

He seems to lack people skills around footballers though seems quite a good guy in his interviews/ TV work 

poch i would agree because i also dont rate him...

but tuchel's cv to me suggests that he couldnt manage arsenal or utd, clubs that have shown that they will not play at 100% at any opportunity given, spurs also did that under poch, tuchel just doesnt have that mental side of football nailed down

7 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

I'll be super disappointed in Alonso if left Leverkusen for Bayern. 

It's just Bayern bullying everyone else in the league. 1 club league mentality. 

Everyone is certain Alonso will leave Leverkusen this summer, maybe he would like to stay there another season.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Everyone is certain Alonso will leave Leverkusen this summer, maybe he would like to stay there another season.

Leverkusen will be gutted in the summer by teams coming to sign their best players.

On 20/02/2024 at 10:33, villa4europe said:

**** me, signed Dier, tried to sign Trippier, now linked with Ole... 

If Liverpool don't get him, or they don't get klopp, then the obvious bayern Munich answer to me is that they go get alonso from leverkusen 

Football is so incredibly short sighted. Alonso has had 2/3 of a good season and gets linked with one of the biggest jobs in world football (2 if you also consider the links to Liverpool).

Edited by Genie
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Leverkusen will be gutted in the summer by teams coming to sign their best players.

Frimpong and maybe another

They usually get gutted by Bayern but they will usually hire an intelligent replacement  instead of a passion merchant big name ex player like a Michael Ballack or something

• Thanks 1

Is Alonso as good as Bayern/ Liverpool seem to think?

He got things to click at one club for 2/3rds of a season. It's the fact he did this in Germany against much bigger spending opposition a better indicator than other managers doing the same in lesser leagues?

Seems all a bit of a gamble of Liverpool want him to replace Klopp.

24 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Is Alonso as good as Bayern/ Liverpool seem to think?

He got things to click at one club for 2/3rds of a season. It's the fact he did this in Germany against much bigger spending opposition a better indicator than other managers doing the same in lesser leagues?

Seems all a bit of a gamble of Liverpool want him to replace Klopp.

They were 2nd bottom when he took over last year and guided them to 6th and is now top of the league

They signed shrewdly to fit his style which Liverpool dont play 

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They were 2nd bottom when he took over last year and guided them to 6th and is now top of the league

They signed shrewdly to fit his style which Liverpool dont play 

Impressive cv then, but limited evidence it works long term/ elsewhere. 

Obviously, quite a bit more impressive than Gerrard implementing his style at rangers and winning a two horse race, but still sounds like a gamble. 

Maybe Liverpool happy to take that gamble if they know they're at a natural point of needing to overhaul their team.

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

It's what they do though. They sell Bailey for 30m and then sign a replacement for 3-4m and give them time to develop as not a club where constant success is demanded.

A few of them have been there for a long while so will feel affinity to the club and want to play for them again in the CL.

Writz with the hype will be the big summer sale especially if he plays well for Germany in the euros. Frimpong will probably leave aswell.

5 hours ago, duke313 said:

Alonso seems quite intelligent, he may be thinking whoever takes over from Klopp will have huge standards to live up too. Bayern the easier job.

I think Alonso is an intelligent guy and he might stay at Leverkusen and fancy a go at the Champions League. Both jobs will come up again, both could even come up again next summer

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think Alonso is an intelligent guy and he might stay at Leverkusen and fancy a go at the Champions League. Both jobs will come up again, both could even come up again next summer

If he leaves for Bayern or Liverpool, he will massively increase his pay and sponsorship deals. He will also then be the one poaching players from smaller clubs, rather than trying to fight bigger club's off. I'd be very surprised if he stayed.

10 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

If he leaves for Bayern or Liverpool, he will massively increase his pay and sponsorship deals. He will also then be the one poaching players from smaller clubs, rather than trying to fight bigger club's off. I'd be very surprised if he stayed.

Thats all well and good but he might feel a rare bit of loyalty and also realise he still needs learn his craft. He is a multi millionaire am sure he cam wait another season for a pay rise

I like to think he has more between his ears than the clown show of ex players that have disgraced coaching recently

48 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Thats all well and good but he might feel a rare bit of loyalty and also realise he still needs learn his craft. He is a multi millionaire am sure he cam wait another season for a pay rise

I like to think he has more between his ears than the clown show of ex players that have disgraced coaching recently

Someone in football actually showing loyalty, long-term decision making and not chasing the instant money? I guess that could be possible. 

Â