The Manager thread

Xela

On 12/11/2023 at 17:40, Hornso said:

Strange that Bournemouth cut him loose.

I understand it, the board wanted to change the style they play and Iraola was the man they wanted to do that. Everything I've seen makes it out to be a long-term project and O'Neil didn't have the same philosophy.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Find it bizarre how Palace persisted with Hodgson this season. He's done well but surely this season was an ideal time to experiment again. They have so much talent but just seem to be that boring midtable side that are just existing.

They've done so well to hold onto Eze and Olise but they'd be so much better with a more progressive manager.

I guess they are just scared of handing out big contracts to a De Boer/Vieira again. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Find it bizarre how Palace persisted with Hodgson this season. He's done well but surely this season was an ideal time to experiment again. They have so much talent but just seem to be that boring midtable side that are just existing.

They've done so well to hold onto Eze and Olise but they'd be so much better with a more progressive manager.

I guess they are just scared of handing out big contracts to a De Boer/Vieira again. 

I’m hopeful they’re hanging on to Hodgson until Southgate is available to take over next summer 😬

Yep, it seems at odds with the clubs transfer policy, they're snapping up all this young talent like eze, olise, guehi, mitchell, franca plus I'm pretty sure they have an alright academy themselves yet they've got dinosaur roy in charge aiming to just stay up each year 

Thought for a few years now they're a good striker away from being a top 10 team but not under roy and they don't half buy some shit up front 

Reading around on some Barca forums it seems like they've had it with Xavi. Always entertaining to browse Barca forums after games where they don't win. Most delusional, entitled bunch of fans out there, and yes that includes Liverplop. Anyway, according t them it's time for Xavi to be sacked. Wonder who they will go for if that happens. Pretty sure he will get the season thou.

Vieira sacking was harsh, and panicking by replacing him with Hodgson strange, of course people will take the simplistic view that they did the right thing because they stopped up, but they were never going to get relegated anyway, the only reason their form was so poor towards the end of Vieira's reign is because their fixtures were ridiculously tough, these were his last twelve games, Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd, Newcastle, Man Utd, Brighton, Brentford, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Man City, Brighton, and Arsenal, any manager of Palace would have struggled during that run, they were always going to improve once those fixtures were over and done with, their next seven games were all against relegtion threatened teams, and bearing in mind of all the teams in the bottom half of the table Palace had the best record against bottom half teams, they were actually twelfth in the table when he was sacked as well, maybe he wouldn't have been the right manager for them long-term, but the position they were in they  could have easily afforded to keep him and then consider or assess again, in the light of new or different factors in the summer, or if they were insistent on replacing him, such was their position they could have opted for a more adventurous appointment.

25 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Terry Venables sadly passed away today. One of the first English managers who was really vocal about playing good football. And let's not forget one of England's greatest performances was under his spell, when we destroyed Holland in the 96 Euros.

Yes sad to hear. John Gregory said he was the finest coach he ever played for. My regret was that he wasn't allowed to continue as England manager. 

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes sad to hear. John Gregory said he was the finest coach he ever played for. My regret was that he wasn't allowed to continue as England manager. 

Absolutely criminal how the FA treated him. Should have been England manager for 10years. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sne said:

Reading around on some Barca forums it seems like they've had it with Xavi. Always entertaining to browse Barca forums after games where they don't win. Most delusional, entitled bunch of fans out there, and yes that includes Liverplop. Anyway, according t them it's time for Xavi to be sacked. Wonder who they will go for if that happens. Pretty sure he will get the season thou.

Hopefully dont come sniffing around unai

Ange... if thats how they play all the time then no wonder they have so many injuries and suspensions. We couldnt cope with their energy first half. But we arent slow and we arent unfit. Then second half they were at 95 percent and we were far more in control. Its like Eddie Howe. If you play every minute at as near to 100 percent your players will drop like flies. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Ange... if thats how they play all the time then no wonder they have so many injuries and suspensions. We couldnt cope with their energy first half. But we arent slow and we arent unfit. Then second half they were at 95 percent and we were far more in control. Its like Eddie Howe. If you play every minute at as near to 100 percent your players will drop like flies. 

Too right, Unai has such tactical flexibility in comparison and isn't stuck into this is how we play every week outside a few core principles. Brighton game was a perfect example of that. 

15 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

They interviewed Steve Cooper in summer 2021 so get the feeling they're waiting for him to leave Forest. If Lampard hadn't made such a mess of Everton in the end he'd have probably been a serious option.

I agree it does feel an ideal season due to how poor the promoted teams are and Everton getting -10 but instead they'll just be floating around 12-14th all year picking up 1-0 wins here and there.

• Like 1

Venables had a weird record after leaving England abruptly (pretty much a hangover from him becoming Spurs CEO, falling out with Alan Sugar and being in court over financial irregularities). 

After leaving England he actually should've still managed at France 98 but Australia blew that 2-0 lead v Iran in the play off. At the same time he was part of a consortium that purchased Portsmouth for a quid and briefly became manager but that didn't last long at all.

Then turned up at Palace but again only lasted a few months as they quickly went into administration. Couple of years out of game just doing punditry for ITV and he had a joint managerial role at Boro and kept them up from a tricky position.

Then failed miserably at Leeds in his big premier league gig replacing O'Leary.

After that I think he was some sort of assistant to McLaren but again that also ended in failure.

Â