Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

I thought there were a couple of times on saturday Hogan looked likely to score until Bjarnason got in his way

I do hope "Until Bjarnason" doesn't become his full name this season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Don't get the worry with Hogan. As others have said we just need to create the chances for him.

Really ? 

I would say there are degree's of worry - but to say they is no worry at all is borderline negligence IMO. 

We really need to give him as much playing time as possible until Kodija comes back and hope he finds his scoring touch and confidence again.

Playing Gabby we know what we'll get, on a good day it's work rate and hassling defenders, and maybe the odd goal every month or so. We just can't rely on Gabby to score goals. He's had very few of those good days in the last 5 years.

Hogan so far has been more miss than hit here. But there is scoring ability in him.

Much rather have Hogan pouncing on through balls than have Gabby huffing and puffing but amounting to nothing in the end.

• Like 3

I think he has looked good in pre-season and we have looked more 'in tune' with him when I have watched us, though that is the big test isn't it - can we create chances?

If Bruce can't get this midfield to create chances for him ASAP then we need a new manager, because his movement is world class. I genuinely mean that. I've also no concerns over his ability to finish. However he looks a yard quicker than last season, and so I have high hopes it will all fall into place. 

In summary I really rate the kid, as much as a prime Darren Bent. Though I accept why others can't see it yet. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think he has looked good in pre-season and we have looked more 'in tune' with him when I have watched us, though that is the big test isn't it - can we create chances?

If Bruce can't get this midfield to create chances for him ASAP then we need a new manager, because his movement is world class. I genuinely mean that. I've also no concerns over his ability to finish. However he looks a yard quicker than last season, and so I have high hopes it will all fall into place. 

In summary I really rate the kid, as much as a prime Darren Bent. Though I accept why others can't see it yet. 

Agree, just dont think we have the player to pick out the passes to him at minute especially with Grealish out now.

21 minutes ago, hippo said:

Really ? 

I would say there are degree's of worry - but to say they is no worry at all is borderline negligence IMO. 

yep really. I'm happy for you to form any opinion you like on whatever extrapolation of my words you choose to centre on too. ;)

I might suggest that to ignore the facts that he was injured, whilst being introduced to a new team, which itself had 5/6 new first teamers added halfway through a messy enough season that was hardly going great in the first place, especially in the area of creating chances for strikers. With a manager in post for 8 weeks prior to him signing in forming your view by judging him solely on "what he's done here" may not be entirely fair on the lad.

I hope he can stay fit. To assume, with his history of injury, that we'll see 46 games out of him may be something I could call negligent. If there's anyone out there expecting that.

Maybe I could go so far as there being degrees of concern for me, but worry? nah, not for me. But then it's just linguistics. and to quote some proper composer guy

"The essence of the beautiful is unity in variety." - Felix Mendelssohn

Therefore I think the lunacy you display in wanting to see Gabby play over a fit Hogan is rather beautiful. And I applaud it. UTV :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Agree, just dont think we have the player to pick out the passes to him at minute especially with Grealish out now.

100% We do. Elmo, Green, Lansbury, Hourihane, Whelan.

They have to start doing it, which is a different problem. They are all professional footballers, good footballers. It's on the manager to get them firing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Based on pre season if we are playing one up top then Gabby should start over Hogan. 

If that happens, I'll be a bit more worried about Bruce's mindset than I am now. 

Gabby deserves a bit of credit for getting back to where he is now, but he remains a woeful finisher and Bruce should be doing everything to get Hogan firing. 

I'm worried it will be Gabby on Saturday though :(

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

100% We do. Elmo, Green, Lansbury, Hourihane, Whelan.

They have to start doing it, which is a different problem. They are all professional footballers, good footballers. It's on the manager to get them firing. 

I think Elmo will be a good signing.  I know lot of people didn't want him but he is decent at getting the ball in the box which is what Hogan needs.  That was one of our biggest issues last season.  We didnt get the ball in the box, was always kicked to the right or left corner.

2 hours ago, mattjpa said:

some people just need scapegoats. Gabby is currently looking better and working harder than he has since 2013. 

Thats 4yrs of not even being fit enough to play for the football club. 4yrs of not giving a hoot. I think its a tad harsh to suggest fans are using Gabby as a scapegoat. He has given us plenty of ammunition.

Maybe he has had a genuine epiphany 

The last 4 years would suggest otherwise 

or maybe its because hes unemployed in 12 months 

BINGO 

but I think he has to start ahead of Hogan, just think he is showing a bit more. 

Genuine question, what exactly is Gabby showing? 

He has the touch of a rapist, he's blowing out of his arse after 20 minutes, running around like an idiot trying to show "he cares" committing foul after foul because he hasn't got a brain in his head.

And then there's the big one, what strikers are judged on, goals..... Lets just move on. 

Compare that to Hogan. Who is a goalscorer, who has looked sharp in pre season, with 2 well taken goals. 

Its very close though and I think its on a knife edge over who gets the nod. 

It isn't close at all, and if Bruce goes with Gabby its further prove that he doesn't have a clue. 

And then there's the big one, what strikers are judged on, goals..... Lets just move on. 

Compare that to Hogan. Who is a goalscorer, who has looked sharp in pre season, with 2 well taken goals. 

Gabby has also looked sharp and has also scored 2 goals. 

The problem for me with Hogan is that he offers very little while waiting for his chance to be created by others. He might take that chance but Hull are in for an easy ride for most of the game. 

Gabby on the other hand will cause problems, offer more of an outlet and force the hull defenders into mistakes. His finishing is poor so I have little confidence he will score but I could see other players getting chances because of Gabby being on the pitch. 

From what I've seen so far I think we'd be more dangerous with Gabby starting than Hogan. 

I'm not a huge Bruce fan but I wouldn't see it as a negative if he selected Gabby over Hogan on Saturday. 

• Like 1

How has it come to this? People want Gabby to start over Hogan. I give up.  Gabby is a shit Cameron Jerome these days. He will be an annoyance but won't do much else. We want to win this league not just make it difficult to play against us. 

• Like 4

Â