Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Just looked at his goals again and he really plays on the backline. He is suited against a highline which is probably one the reasons he struggled for us as teams will tend to sit deeper. I can see a lot of his goals coming once we take the lead in games and teams start attacking. We need to finish teams off on the break. 

• Like 1

Again struggling to get into games.

For 14m I thought we were getting someone who could play outside the box (I thought this of McCormack aswell).

Us signing strikers who can only play inside the penalty area dosen't really work and narrows the game too much.

Don't see him starting next week. When's Kodjia fit again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thought he was V poor when he came on v watford. The guy's first touch is abysmal. Gabby starts ahead of him on sat.

I don't agree that he has an abysmal first touch, but we'll go with that for a second. 

So you would rather go with a bloke that has an abysmal first touch and can't score goals, instead of a guy with an abysmal first touch that can score goals?

Just now, av1 said:

I don't agree that he has an abysmal first touch, but we'll go with that for a second. 

So you would rather go with a bloke that has an abysmal first touch and can't score goals, instead of a guy with an abysmal first touch that can score goals?

Its a close call - But I would pick gabby - at least he has pass to worry defenders, Hogan gives the opposition defence such an easy time.  

I've not seen Hogan look remotely like a guy who can score goals since he arrived.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Its a close call - But I would pick gabby - at least he has pass to worry defenders, Hogan gives the opposition defence such an easy time.  

I've not seen Hogan look remotely like a guy who can score goals since he arrived.

Hogan scored more goals last season (admittedly for his former club) than Gabby has scored in the last 4/5 years. Hogan is a goalscorer, Gabby is not. Both have pace, one will hopefully be a villa player in years to come, the other will be on celebrity fat club within 18 months. 

Its not a close call for me mate. 

On 23/07/2017 at 22:28, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just looked at his goals again and he really plays on the backline. He is suited against a highline which is probably one the reasons he struggled for us as teams will tend to sit deeper. I can see a lot of his goals coming once we take the lead in games and teams start attacking. We need to finish teams off on the break. 

Think he'll be in Dreamland if he played for us in the Prem. No team fearing us so high line, he'd have had a field day 

Very impressed in Germany but then back to his normal self and just not in the game against Watford. 

At the moment I feel Gabby will impact the game more so can see him getting the nod on Saturday. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

Hogan scored more goals last season (admittedly for his former club) than Gabby has scored in the last 4/5 years. Hogan is a goalscorer, Gabby is not. Both have pace, one will hopefully be a villa player in years to come, the other will be on celebrity fat club within 18 months. 

Its not a close call for me mate. 

Like I say I don't watch Brentford. I am going on what I have seen since he has been here - he is going to have to up his game massively to get amongst the goals. Hope I am wrong but I just don't see it.

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Like I say I don't watch Brentford. I am going on what I have seen since he has been here - he is going to have to up his game massively to get amongst the goals. Hope I am wrong but I just don't see it.

I know its silly to make judgements from youtube, but these are the goals Hogan scored last season. The guy is a natural finisher. Even at his best, Gabby has never been a natural finisher, and all the things he once had thst made him a threat have long since gone. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I know its silly to make judgements from youtube, but these are the goals Hogan scored last season. The guy is a natural finisher. Even at his best, Gabby has never been a natural finisher, and all the things he once had thst made him a threat have long since gone. 

Like I say if he comes good - great.  But I just don't see it. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Like I say if he comes good - great.  But I just don't see it. 

Really you refuse to see anything about him that is good. Like his goals above in this league. His two goals last week.

Your mind is made up.

He's obviously got something about him. He's scored goals wherever he's been. We just haven't seen it from him yet. But surely, we can look at this in a positive way in that when it does click for him, we will have another top goal scorer. Wether it be under Bruce or not.

5 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Really you refuse to see anything about him that is good. Like his goals above in this league. His two goals last week.

Your mind is made up.

Did I not say 'if he comes good - great'  -?  Its down to him. What I won't do is make excuses for him. If he starts banging in the goals everyone is happy. But IMO he looks way off doing that.  

some people just need scapegoats. Gabby is currently looking better and working harder than he has since 2013. Maybe he has had a genuine epiphany or maybe its because hes unemployed in 12 months but I think he has to start ahead of Hogan, just think he is showing a bit more. Its very close though and I think its on a knife edge over who gets the nod. Bruce could always go 2 up top now Jack is out 

Good lot of them goals in that clip appear to be on the verge of off side and through the middle.  Not sure if we have a player who can play them through balls or even if teams will sit that far up against Villa. 

Â